The Issue With Sari's

kirandeep

wjkk wjkf

where a sari by all means, but hav it long, dnt let ur stomach show

cz basically wat ur wearin is a bra n a skirt, thas all, fink about it,

152839[/snapback]

Have you not heard of a sari blouse ? You can have them tailored to cover your tummy. You could even wear something to keep your legs covered like long johns or if you are Canadian then shell suit (tracksuit) bottoms.

I guess we should ban lenghe as well cus they are just skirts. Lots of brides wera lenge for the Anand Karaj.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fanks for that

yeh i see ur point about not being able to defend urself no mata wt u wear if u dnt even know the basics.

bt i live in soton and well theres no1 here to teach us, this area is well... well u can say there is no sikhi inspiration here. no1 wants to spread Waheguru's bani.

we've jst about started to get ppl lyk Bhai Harjinder singh Lallie frm Bham to com dwn and lyk do an our of kirtan along wid katha in english

does da sikh maryadha say nefink specific about not being able to wear saris or lenghe? i know u cnt show ur body bt wud sari still b a prob if i said that the whole body was covered...well excecpt the arms loll?

bhuul chuk maf

wjkk wjkf

Wear Sari.. no worries..sari, classical dancing, hindustani(people from hind geographical location) classical(raagas) music is part of our hertiage that all indians regardless of religion shares.

I disagree. Saris, classical DANCING, HINDUSTANIS, are not part of Sikh religion or Sikh Culture. What happened to Guru's Bana? We should have more love for bana than anything else. A Gursikhs' dress should not be something that invites the wrong attention.

The next question would be, can Singhs wear a dhotee? lol I mean seriously, look at first who you're representing, you're representing your father Guru Gobind Singh jee, and mother Mata Sahib Kaur jee, would Mataji say sure putt wear a sari your father approves of it, or would she tell you to stick to a more gursikhi related bana. Would your mother Mata Sahib Kaur wear a Sari? I'm sure there are alot of things Pitaji & Mataji would not do, like go online, watch TV, etc. etc. but rather spend their time learning the essence of Gurbani, manmukhi jeevs like me talk alot but can't back it up and practice what you preach, but this is another issue.

Sure, sari is a dress from the Indian subcontinent, but there are no popluar punjabi saris, but only sri lankan, nepali, etc. so if you call yourself a daughter of Guru Gobind Singh jee then act, live and dress like one, have a distinct personality, so that you stand out of the crowd of other sari wearing ladies. Have love for bani/BANA/simran.

My two cents, bhul chuk muaf.

152828[/snapback]

you be suprised to know guru's wives, sevadarni's of guru ghar during guru's time all wore ghagra, choli with dupata(check out relics of mata sahib deva/kaur in delhi) than salvar kameez came in sikh culture with influence of muslim women and chola came in lot letter after guru's for women. There were chola's for men since guru's time but sikhni, singhani's never wore it unless they went to war which was not very often.

All this stuff of women's wearing long chola type of bana and huge dummalla trend first came and introduced by fanatic bhausaria and bhasuria panthis and their fanatical approach of sikhi.

from sikhawareness.com

author freed writes:

There are very few examples of old punjabi female portraiture - In my family up until the 1950s unmarried women were not allowed to have their photos taken - a mixture of patriarchial Society and fear for Family Izzat if the photos got into the 'wrong' hands !!!

There are very few depictions of the Gurus' wifes - Only BeBe Nanaki seems to be favourite subject for portraits - Sikh women apart from depictions of Rani Jind Kaur don't seem to 'exist' when you look at portraits !

So an analysis of dress is quite hard to do - Nonetheless a few examples do exist ;

Here is a portrait of Bibi Bhani - The wife of Guru Ram Das from the 18th Century - in Jaipur style from the collection of Bhai Suchet Singh - Vill. Bhai Rupa, Moga

It shows Bibi Bhani wearing what appears to be a Ghagra.

bhani2rf.png

*taken from The Sikh Heritage - Dr Daljeet -2004

This picture is titled as 'Singhani' - Sikh woman soldier - it is from the early 20th century - she is wearing salwar kameez

sikhni6hq.png

*taken from Dr Daljeet 2004

This picture is from a sketch by Keher Singh - court painter of Maharaja Ranjit Singh - It shows 2 ladies with what could be Keskis - or could be high Top Knots - They are wearing salwar kameez and thin dupattas.

keherkeski2ia.png

*taken from Marg - Vol XXX 3 June 1977

This document is a quote from Giani Gian Singh's Panth Prakash.

It documents when Baghel Singh walked unopposed into the Red Fort Delhi in 1783 - The Singhs were accompanied by their Singhnis - their dress is described - while some are dressed as 'warrior men' the rest are described as wearing salwars of 20 yards , silver ornaments weighing 10 ser ( 2 pound weight) and their hair was in 'Chundian' top knots one and a half hands high (Dedh gith) and their kurte (tops) were embroidered

pprakash0bt.png

*taken from Panth Prakash - Giani Gian Singh - Bhash Vibhag Punjab - 1987 , pg 1152

This last picture shows a Nihang and Nihangni - probably from a Keher Singh sketch - The Nihangni appears to have her hair in top knot (maybe a keski ?) wears a salwar and kameez and carries a chakar and mala around her neck and a Mala in her hand.

nihangni8is.png

* taken from The Sikhs - T S Randhawa 2000

All this stuff of women's wearing long chola type of bana and huge dummalla trend first came and introduced by fanatic bhausaria and bhasuria panthis and their fanatical approach of sikhi.

U need to relax Singh...you always seem to have negative remarks about your brothers and sisters....just because someone wears bana and cholaay they are fanatical...brethren please!...wake up and learn to love..

The saree is one of the most beautiful costumes in the world. its an attire that celebrates women. IMO saree represents culture, has nothing to do with religion. a sikh is a sikh despite what he or she wears.

btw, pardon my silly question :lol: but jus wanna know, i read in many threads that the kirpan is for protection (of course) so in times of danger would someone really use it? like i mean to hurt someone else?

i can see how the ladies can use it (if theres a rapist) but what about the guys?

I agree with Gurpreet Singh.

I think you like most of us wear the american style of clothing pants/shirt, so there's no need to do nindya of gursikhs who wear bana, they do it out of love for Guru Sahib, lets start with practicing it in our life before sitting behind a computer and calling names, and whats a bhusaria anyway? I hope its not a bad word, cuz that'll be taken up.

And just because others don't have the same view as you there's no need to be calling them fanatics, you got alot to learn about what Guru Sahib says about love, it clearly shows.