Shia Islam And Sikhism

sikh supreme

I've been reading into shia sect of Islam and it has some of its similarities with Sikhism apart from the obvious differences.

Does anyone know whether Guru Nanak Ji muslim friends, followers and assocaites were more shia or not? Because I've read that Guru ji was given the title of peer which is reserved for holy figures in shia islam if im not mistaken.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have myself, for the past some 6 years noticed loads of similarities between Shia Islam and Sikhi. I must say Shia Islam is alot more tolerant towards non-Muslims (personal experience) and like us their history is also written in the blood of shaheeds. The stories of their martyrs evokes nothing but mad respect towards them d_oh.gif .

Because I've read that Guru ji was given the title of peer which is reserved for holy figures in shia islam if im not mistaken.

153042[/snapback]

Im not very knowledgable on the similarities but a friend who is not shia refers to Guru Nanak Dev Ji as a peer, which yes is a holy person.

I have myself, for the past some 6 years noticed loads of similarities between Shia Islam and Sikhi. I must say Shia Islam is alot more tolerant towards non-Muslims (personal experience) and like us their history is also written in the blood of shaheeds. The stories of their martyrs evokes nothing but mad respect towards them  d_oh.gif .

153108[/snapback]

I agree shia are more alike sufi's with emphasis with spirtiuality/mysticism and alot more tolerant than their sunni rivals. The more I read about them the more I see it is the waahabi /sunni sects of Islam who are giving Islam as a whole a bad name.

Because I've read that Guru ji was given the title of peer which is reserved for holy figures in shia islam if im not mistaken.

153042[/snapback]

Im not very knowledgable on the similarities but a friend who is not shia refers to Guru Nanak Dev Ji as a peer, which yes is a holy person.

153119[/snapback]

ok.

Similarities being they have 10 or more imans who they believed were holy figures as we do our 10 Guru's. Their history is filled with brutal matyrdom, as does our own. Apperance wise they wear turbans also but different style of tieing it and have beards, etc.

Guru Nanak Ji visited Persia back in the days when it was one country not Iraq/iran, which has majority concentrations of Shia muslims

I think Shias have historically gotten along with Sikhs better than Sunnis. There is actually a Sikh scholar who knows a great deal about this very subject. From Sikhawareness..=>Bahadur Singh.

Not sure, but weren't Mian Mir Ji and Pir Budhu Shah ji both Shia muslims or sufis??

I believe Aurungzeb was Sunni.

I have whole research article written on sikh and shiasm mystical, chivarly tradtions. I meant not to share it since it's part of someone deep research and hard work.

but jai tengang you are right on, there is defaniately deep spiritual link between shiaism and sikhism.