Why Guru Gobind Singh Ji Gave Gurudom To Sggs Ji

I'm doing a paper, and the question is Is Guru Granth Sahib the guru.

In my thesis is "Many factors may have influenced his decision, first being the fact that all his sons were killed through the duration of his lifetime, and he would now not be able to continue the tradition of hereditary lineage had he even wished to do so. Another reason could have been to put an end to the ongoing controversy that appeared a majority of the time when a new Guru was named, as different sects of Sikhism fought for whom ever they felt should be named the next Guru. Controversy was also present between the Mughals, and the Sikh Gurus, and by giving the Granth Sahib the title of Guru the tenth Guru may have been trying to eliminate further disagreements. Finally, from the Khalsa within the Khalsa perspective, Guru Gobind Singh may have felt that the religion was now perfect, and needed no further changes, therefore there was no need for another living Guru. "

I'M LOOKING FOR reference 2 the end of the sodhi lineage, ( its a religious paper, but its written from an analytical point of view, so i can't say because guru ji new fro mthe beginig that there were only 10gurus even tho tis the truth.

I also need evidence saying it was because ppl were becoming hungry 2 become guru.

please if some1 can help me.

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaaheguroojeekeefathehhhh !!!!!!

gurmukh pyare jee

i humbly request you to avoid explaining guru sahib ji's reasons from a worldly, materialistic, insecure, "science-is-God" perspective. please explain from a gurmat perspective and historical perspective.

like please do not try to say it was because his sons died (his sons never die, and the whole khalsa panth are his children)

please try to explain from the gurmat perspective with regards to bani guru guru hai bani, and the historical perspective with respect to the development of sikh religion (which you have mentioned)

please forgive my mistakes

vaaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!!

I'm doing a paper, and the question is Is Guru Granth Sahib the guru.

In my thesis is "Many factors may have influenced his decision, first being the fact that all his sons were killed through the duration of his lifetime, and he would now not be able to continue the tradition of hereditary lineage had he even wished to do so.  Another reason could have been to put an end to the ongoing controversy that appeared a majority of the time when a new Guru was named, as different sects of Sikhism fought for whom ever they felt should be named the next Guru.  Controversy was also present between the Mughals, and the Sikh Gurus, and by giving the Granth Sahib the title of Guru the tenth Guru may have been trying to eliminate further disagreements.  Finally, from the Khalsa within the Khalsa perspective, Guru Gobind Singh may have felt that the religion was now perfect, and needed no further changes, therefore there was no need for another living Guru.  "

I'M LOOKING FOR  reference 2 the end of the sodhi lineage, ( its a religious paper, but its written from an analytical point of view, so i can't say because guru ji new fro mthe beginig that there were only 10gurus even tho tis the truth.

I also need evidence saying it was because ppl were becoming hungry 2 become guru.

please if some1 can help me.

158497[/snapback]

are you doing a degree in theology??? wohhhooo sooo interestin, i wanid 2 do that...the only thing i disliked about these types of paper when i was doing my religious education AS's, is that u HAVE 2 giv both sides, even when u don't agree with whats being said..use my trick- make ur conclusion a good one, based on what YOU believe, use simmal Trees ideas here,

"please try to explain from the gurmat perspective with regards to bani guru guru hai bani, and the historical perspective with respect to the development of sikh religion (which you have mentioned)"

ppl were becoming 2 hungry 4 "leadership" of the panth,this started before Guru Gobind Singh Ji's reign-

u caud use the example of Prithi Chand, brother of Guru Arjan, (son of Guru Ramdas), Thiaar of Guru Hargobind

he was realy jelous that Guru Arjan had been chosen by their father 2 become the next Guru, he wasn't thinkin what would be best for sikhi - He wanted to b Guru, because he was the eldest child, anyway, he went around causing trouble for guru Arjan by teaming up with Chandhu S-

* by telling the Emporer Jehangir (ggrrr :wub: ) that Arjan had wrote bad things about islam in the Adi Granth,

* He CHANGED the words of the BANI!! no.gif & passed it on as his own work, even though it was not divinely inspired

* he tried twice to KILL his nephew Hargobind, so he could be the next successor after Arjan, one plan involved a snake, and the other, a wet nurse with poison on her breasts, who thankfully passed out before she had chance 2 feed Hargobind.

Prithi Chand then made a "breakaway sect" known as the "minas" by persuading ppl he was the TRU GURU ohmy.gif

guru Nanaks 1st son Sri Chand formed the Ascetics sect

Dhir Mal (grabdson of Hargobind, brother of Har Rai) formed the Malias,who locked Guru Tegh Bahadur out of the Golden Temple!!!!!! Dhir Mal shot Guru Tegh Bahadur, this disunity was killing sikhism, hence the need for the khalsa.

i agree with what simmal tree said, i dont think the fact that his sons died influenced his decision..he had said that the khalsa was his children.

i think there was a story also u may have 2 do more research in it, that Vaheguru had sent Gobind Ji back 2 earth, He told the Guru:

" I have glorified you as my son, I have created you to proclaim the panth.

Go, spread the faith their and restrain the people from folly."

Khalsa was intended to rid of divisions such as caste, was intented to UNITE all sikhs, brought equality, panj pyare were from diff castes,it was brought 2 DEFEND THE FAITH- Islam could not be imposed upon anyone by the Moghuls,

the Khalsa was "ordained as lions to fight against others"

the Khalsa ideals should ahve been enough (they are enough!) for sikhi 2 survive, Gobind Ji had said:

" I shall live on in the Khalsa"

so a "living guru" was not needed, we needed a Guru that could not be killed by Mughal tyranny, One that would last 4eva..the Eternal guru, which we now have...yaaay!!!

the Khalsa are responsible now for defending the faith, as can be sen by such quotes:

"Rajj karrega khalsa" (the khalsa will rule)

"Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji ka fateh" (God's khalsa God's victory)

i think u need 2 focus quite alot on the khalsa in this paper, they are the holders of Guru Gobinds ideals, because remember his Bani was not included in GGSJ, it is in Dasam Granth.

next bit is taken from "the sikhs, their religious beliefs and practices2 by w.owen cole & piara singh sambhi

the bits in sppech marks are quotes of Guru Gobinds Singh ji which may need 2 b included (we always had 2 use quotes),

"where there are five there am I. when the five meet, they are the holiest of the holy"

the new concept of Guru became not only that of the message contained in the Book but that of Guru Panth, the spirit of the Guru present wherever members of the Khalsa deliberated & made decisions in the presence of GGSJ.

" the divine Guru sent me for righteousness sake. on this account I have come in2 the world 2 extend the faith everywhere and to seize and destroy the evil and sinful. understand this, ye holy men, in your souls. i assumed birth for the purpose of spreading the faith, saving the saints, & extirpating all tyrants."

" there is no difference between he Guru and the sangat. the sangat and the True guru are one and the same."

his respect for the Khalsa is seen in one of his poems:

" all the battles I have won against tyranny I have fought with the devoted backing of the people. through them only have I been able to bestow gifts, with their help I have escaped from harm; the love and generosity of these sikhs have enriched my heart and home. through their grace I have attained alll learning; through their help in battle i have slain all my enemies. i was born to serve them, through them i reached eminence... whatever i call my own, all i posses and carry, i dedicate to these people"

this's a quote of prof Harbans singh, it show the importance of GGSj in sikhi 2day:

"it was only through the word that the Guruship could be made everlasting"

eerrrmmm the only thing i have on the Sodhi Family is when HarGobind died, legend has it there was a merchant on a ship who had promised 2 giv 1 lakh 2 the guru of the sikhs if he returned home safeley, in the village of Bakala, where Tegh Bahadur (the next Guru) was, 22 memebers from the Sodhi family came foward proclaiming 2 b the nxt guru... which again shows this desire 2 b the next guru...

ohhhhh iv on on 4 to long again!! haaaw i have 2 my law essay! lol hope this has been relevent 2 juuuu

(man i miss r.e homework! can u tell?! lol)

peace. :e:

Guru ji himself wrote the answer to the question above. HE said:

Agaya bhai akal ki tabee chalayo panth,

Sab sikhan ko hukam hai guru manyo granth.

So its not that he was not able to find anybdy suitable for the guruship. He didn't even try for it. Guru or God oriented person always live in hukam of akalpurakh. He/She NEVER make decisions by himself/herself.

So it was agaya (Hukam) of Akal that next guru f sikhs should be the granth.Period.

I agree 100% with 'Simmal tree' jee.

Char Shaibzadey, I believe, could not in any way, be an effecting factor, since

The previous 6 Gurus, although had a lineage, there were still loads of Sodhis walking aroudn who he could give Gurudum to.

Also, Guru Gobind Singh Ji already gave an answer to why he ultimately gave the Guru-gaddi, and try linking it to the concept of Bani Guru, and how Guru Arjan Dev Ji slept a level below Guru Sahibs saroop.

I sense that since you are studying Sikhi, you are imposed with mcleod-ism. Try avoiding it, it can make you sick.

Guru ji himself wrote the answer to the question above. HE said:

Agaya bhai akal ki tabee chalayo panth,

Sab sikhan ko hukam hai guru manyo granth.

So its not that he was not able to find anybdy suitable for the guruship. He didn't even try for it. Guru or God oriented person always live in hukam of akalpurakh. He/She NEVER make decisions by himself/herself.

So it was agaya (Hukam) of Akal that next guru f sikhs should be the granth.Period.

158543[/snapback]

With all the 'Satgurus' who are springing up like weeds in a nicely kept garden i'm not surprised Guruji decided not to grant guruship to any living being!

We get Darshan Das, Namdhari, Radaswami & Nirankari, i mean bloody hell when will these imbeciles who follow such pathetic cretins wake up and see sense!!!! hit.gif