Gurdwara Fire : Dealing With Mental Illness

Do you guys think that this young man's mental state was poor enough to cause him to break and enter a gurdwara, pour gasoline all over the darbar sahib, light it on fire, then run upstairs?

And does that excuse the fact that his actions caused extensive damage to the suroop of Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj ?

This is an open question to all the sangat. If you're reading this, please post your opinion.

if she had given her child proper care this wudnt have happened.....why do they have kids if they cant look after them or at least get help............this is similar to a guy who lives in our street, he hasnt left the house for like 4 years and hes like 30 years old, suffering from some mental illness and his old parents buy him food n stuff from the shop but stil dont take him to a doctor!

i think the kid will stil hav had a reason for doing this...................its hard to say after reading that .....

if she had given her child proper care this wudnt have happened.....why do they have kids if they cant look after them or at least get help............this is similar to a guy who lives in our street, he hasnt left the house for like 4  years and hes like 30 years old, suffering from some mental illness and his old parents buy him food n stuff from the shop but stil dont take him to a doctor!

i think the kid will stil hav had a reason for doing this...................its hard to say after reading that .....

159339[/snapback]

I think it's a real tough one. True, nowdays people don't bring up kids right but I know of a real nice family with high morals and everything, but their kid is having similar "mental" or "dysfunctional" problems. I think it's a real difficult situation to deal with - people don't know what to do. But, I'm a bit dubious about this case, seems bit extreme - from talking to himself to commiting arson. I hope the huge consequencesof his actions aren't ignored, he needs to understand what he has done and in some way make it up...

if she had given her child proper care this wudnt have happened.....why do they have kids if they cant look after them or at least get help............this is similar to a guy who lives in our street, he hasnt left the house for like 4  years and hes like 30 years old, suffering from some mental illness and his old parents buy him food n stuff from the shop but stil dont take him to a doctor!

159339[/snapback]

I think it's a real tough one. True, nowdays people don't bring up kids right but I know of a real nice family with high morals and everything, but their kid is having similar "mental" or "dysfunctional" problems. I think it's a real difficult situation to deal with - people don't know what to do. But, I'm a bit dubious about this case, seems bit extreme - from talking to himself to commiting arson. I hope the huge consequencesof his actions aren't ignored, he needs to understand what he has done and in some way make it up...

159342[/snapback]

Nothing a few shitar won't solve....JOKE!

I agre with the above post. How old was the person in question, i've not read the link because i can't access it! :wub:

“I am proud of Sean for trying so hard to be independent,” says Diana. “He is not a violent person. He is a sensitive caring person.”

sensitive caring person? is that why he goes around pouring gasoline and setting fire to buildings :wub:

It isn’t easy for Diana Downey to talk about how her son, Sean Downey, went from an ambitious bright teenager to the youth accused of arson in the Gurdwara Western Singh Sabha Sikh Temple fire. But she hopes telling her story will help other families and youth get the help they need before it is too late.
is she just seeking some sympothy or what?!?!?! :@ @
The fire destroyed the interior of the temple on March 26 but Sean’s problems started more than a year before. Diana says Sean was always very outgoing and he had a high IQ. He dreamed of becoming a police officer or joining the military.

“He loves criminology books,” says Diana. “He read them over and over.”

if he wanted to be in the military or working for the police wouldn't he be reading some books on Law or some Military History...or was he just into criminology or theft from the start... grin.gif

then he thought he would get some gasoline and pour it over the next building he see's and sets fire to it...thats not what someone with a High IQ will do...that bit sounds dodgy wacko.gif

“I am proud of Sean for trying so hard to be independent,” says Diana. “He is not a violent person. He is a sensitive caring person.”
..."and he is so inspired by criminology that he thinks he will sets fire to anything he see's and get away with it by being called a Mental <banned word filter activated>" :cool: :wub: @

Sat Sri Akal:

When the Abdali's forces were defeated by the Sikhs, they made the captured Pathan soldiers clean up the Harimandir Sahib. Perhaps this is proper punishment for this fellow...make him rebuild the Gurudwara and scribe another Saroop of Guru Granth Sahib. Prison hardly teaches anything...but direct punishment related to the crime will probably leave a better impact.

Sat Sri Akal:

When the Abdali's forces were defeated by the Sikhs, they made the captured Pathan soldiers clean up the Harimandir Sahib.  Perhaps this is proper punishment for this fellow...make him rebuild the Gurudwara and scribe another Saroop of Guru Granth Sahib.  Prison hardly teaches anything...but direct punishment related to the crime will probably leave a better impact.

159405[/snapback]

I agree ms514 paji,

nowadays anyone ever learns anything in prison, all they ever do is develop more hatred.