Sangat Ji, Our Guru Ghar Has An Issue With Langar...

Hi all,

Our guru ghar is experiencing a challenge. Many people, sikhs, non-sikhs, at our gurudwara are not covering their heads in the langar hall. Today I saw this, many aunties were chatting away wth their heads uncovered, also one girl was not dressed very appropriately.

I went up to a raagi seingh, who just arrived from india by teh way...I asked hi to ask the women to please cover their heads in the langar hall. He went up to them and with folded hands did benti to them to please cover their heads. One auntie gave him a nasty look as he walked away and after a littel while they again uncovered their heads. I asked the bhai saib why he doesn't tell people, he said people are gonna say what am I doing bothering women, he said they might think he is harrasing them or something. which does happen in our society.

anyways, my point is, can omeone please state the proper way to respect guru ka langar in gurdwara sahib. I would like to post it in our guru ghar.

also, the langar was catered from a restaurant. This also irked me. I went to a wedding in freemont guru ghar and the food was catered but it was served outside under a tent, not in the langar hall...which made sense. But what is the panthic stance on catered langar in the langar hall of guru ghar?

This whole episode at guru ghar really freaked me out tday, i felt like i was at a restaurant rather than my guru's house. The many singhs, bhai sahibs i spoke with said they try to tell people but people get upset.

It is amazing how when we visit people's homes, we follow all their rules, such as taking our shoes off at the door etc, but when we come to our guru's home, we refuse to follow the prescribed maryada....

peace.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GurFateh jio

man..you exactly right...

not only that...but like

a lot of times..the girls and stuff eh

they dont wanna cover it..

i know one of my friends told me once that when her Chunee comes off..she dont wanna touch it with her hands cuz her hands are dirty..

like what the heck man...

your Chunee is gonna get a LITTLE dirty...you can wash it yo..

but like...the disrespect to Guru ji aint easy to clean up :D

and omg...the way girls dress these days... no.gif

its even embarrassing for me...

girls wearin translucent white kapris..and translucent shirts...at the Gurudwara :@ like what the???

even i get embarrassed...so like..

ohnaa nuu sharam nee aundee?? no.gif

the disrespect for Sikhi is increasin...

and people say that the modern people know more about stuff.... :@

anywho..your post is good jio :TH:

what can we, as youth, do to cut down this problem????

any suggestions?

GurFateh jio.

peace..

Hi all,

Our guru ghar is experiencing a challenge. Many people, sikhs, non-sikhs, at our gurudwara are not covering their heads in the langar hall. Today I saw this, many aunties were chatting away wth their heads uncovered, also one girl was not dressed very appropriately.

I went up to a raagi seingh, who just arrived from india by teh way...I asked hi to ask the women to please cover their heads in the langar hall. He went up to them and with folded hands did benti to them to please cover their heads. One auntie gave him a nasty look as he walked away and after a littel while they again uncovered their heads. I asked the bhai saib why he doesn't tell people, he said people are gonna say what am I doing bothering women, he said they might think he is harrasing them or something. which does happen in our society.

anyways, my point is, can omeone please state the proper way to respect guru ka langar in gurdwara sahib. I would like to post it in our guru ghar.

also, the langar was catered from a restaurant. This also irked me. I went to a wedding in freemont guru ghar and the food was catered but it was served outside under a tent, not in the langar hall...which made sense. But what is the panthic stance on catered langar in the langar hall of guru ghar?

This whole episode at guru ghar really freaked me out tday, i felt like i was at a restaurant rather than my guru's house. The many singhs, bhai sahibs i spoke with said they try to tell people but people get upset.

It is amazing how when we visit people's homes, we follow all their rules, such as taking our shoes off at the door etc, but when we come to our guru's home, we refuse to follow the prescribed maryada....

peace.

Sometimes when I am serving langar, I notice people don't use two hands when taking parshada (mostly non-Sikhs), I usually just tell them in a strict voice to use two hands. When everyone starts to look over they usually lift up the other hand.

But other times, everyone just wants their food and I just ask them and I don't have time to wait :-\

I havnt really noticed Bibian not covering their head, but I have noticed little mone kids and girls not covering their head.

Its true people get upset when I ask them, but I really don't know myself how to respond to them.

If people don't respect the Guru then I don't think it really is langar.

But your idea of putting up a post to how to respect the Guru while you are visiting the Gurudwara is a good idea.

Same is the problem in gurdwara i visit.

Girls come with coloured hair and donn bother to cover the head atlhough notices have been put. I once told an auntie to ask the girls to plz cover the hair coz i m young they won't listen to me she replied they've been told many times but don't cover the hair....and hence she didn't say, then we have people working in kitchen preparing food with chappals on.....that's not against gurdwara rules mind u ....but isn't it a beadbi? i pointed out a few times but who cares???

Then we have people just using one hand while taking parshadas......once an uncle with me was doing sewa of distributing parshadas and loudly chanting 'waheguru' and encouraging others to say so....in the mean time an auntie came and this uncle said to her while giving parshadas "dove hath karke lao ji" and she rudely said "i only have two have hands" suggesting that her other hand was busy......i was shocked at the nature of reply and the poor uncle said "we can't do anything" while shaking his head.

Beadbi at gurdwaras it seems have become a norm and people are just happy at it which clearly shows that most of the people don't visit gurdwara sahib for love of guruji but just to mix up in the community on a sunday, sporting stylish clothes coloured hair. Gone are the days when people used to eat langar quietly saying waheguru......new scenes have emerged... people discussing all other issues except gurmat while having langar...none wants to sit quiet. It is high time we ask to ourselves "What have we made of our gurdwaras" and do some resurrection otherwise we setting a bad example for future genertion and future of gurdwaras seems horrible.

the main reason for the langar is to feed people...not to force them to cover their heads.

even tho out of respect they should cover it

So your saying Respect is not mandatory? If covering one's head is respect in the langar, then why do we compromise on respect for guru sahib? would you tell someone that doesn't have respect for your father that it is their choice? how many people do you let in your house that don't respect your parents? as humans we always demand respect in our homes, but when it comes to our guru, we start saying that respect is a choice.

please rethink what you wrote.

peace.

then we have people working in kitchen preparing food with chappals on.....

yes, this is also happening in our guru ghar.

The reason i have posted this post is because i have noticed that the bhai sahibs in the guru ghar have started to feel that they havelost and that the people doing beadbi have won. they feel they are outnumbered and that they no longer have the authority to enforce respect for guru sahib. This is not even about fanaticism or anything, thsi is about good old fashioned respect.

We are starting to treat guru sahib like an idol, which is dead and has no life in it. Our shabad guru is alive, and aware. we should treat guru sahib as a living true guru who sees, hears, knows everything. If we instill this back into our minds then out of respect for guru sahib we would observe gurudwara maryada. look every house of worship has their rules, why are sikhs compromising on even these things?

ok, tables and chairs in guru ghar is one thing, but now not even covering our heads, aren't we just pushing it now?

I asked granthi today that why donn u stop people frm doing beadbi? i told him to look at lady serving the people in langar....face loaded wit tons of make up, hair fully coloured no head covering...smiling like an air hostess.... he said look there's a notice but who cares???? everyone has a seperate rehat marytada for himself/herself and walk inside langar hall with chappals on and bare headed but goras don't.... if they remove their chapals or shoes and cover their head while entering after reading the notice if they can why our people can't???? I said goras respect the religion but our own people don't they juss cum for a day out.

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

thas just sad, the granthi isnt being proactive so im not surprised by ppl's disrepect, it's b/c of these things u see gurdwaras being split over rehat maryada...how sad...plz keep telling these ppl rite, it is our farj, put up signs -big signs-so if anyone doesnt follow, u could just point at the sign and end it there...tell these ppl that is our farj to tell each other what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong, and if you dont listen then maharaj is antarjami and will take care of the rest. what sux is that if this was happening in a mosque, the persons a$$ wud be out in a second, but us sikhs have no unity....thats why it falls bak on the granthi and the gurdwara committee as a whole.if they cant respect maharaj ji then they shudnt come to the gurdwara in the 1st place.period. they need to disrespect maharaj ji then the gurdwara definitely isnt the place to do it (nor is anyother)

It is not that big an issue as our community has made. Seeing all that happen i reach on conclusion that it is primarily the fault to gurdwara commitee whos' attitude is so lax that that can't even dare to instruct people coz they kno very well where the revenue comes from so they donn want to cut their own pockets