Anti Beadbi Campaigns

Sarbloh

papoo thinks the youth are waking up. there is a positive side to all your points. lets be positive and talk about how to stop beadbi. papoo thinks people are into putting people down if they are trying to do good. if people are trying to stop beadbi or bad practices then why are we always trying to drag them down. every situation has many different problems, from a distance it always seems clear cut, but when u actually try and do something u will realise how hard it is.

The Youth have always been awake, we only think they have woken up because now we are involved.

Why do we always end up with a protest for every issue?? Its a fact that the protests are becoming bigger and bigger but the same problems still exist. We are going round in circles. Thats the gist of the discussion, we need to responsibly channel the energies of people to get a real result which will give us fruit in the coming YEARS, not hours or day.

I dont see people being put down however I do see different perspectives on how to tackle the same problem. People like AK47 have automatic guards that pop up when another point of view is thrown into the discussion.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

papoo thinks the youth are waking up. there is a positive side to all your points. lets be positive and talk about how to stop beadbi. papoo thinks people are into putting people down if they are trying to do good. if people are trying to stop beadbi or bad practices then why are we always trying to drag them down. every situation has many different problems, from a distance it always seems clear cut, but when u actually try and do something u will realise how hard it is.

Fair comments. I think its our egos that make us think the answer is as clear cut as a one day protest or a longer term parchaar campaign. We possibly need to get the mix between the two right, at the moment its all pro-protest and thats it!! There cant be a right or wrong approach because the action of beadbi is not as clear cut. If someone has Guru jees saroop on their premises with idols then someone else removes that saroop from the premises with no vastars in the rain. It shows that people are only seeing beadbi as they want to see it.

If we stand clear from the self glorification and review all the consequences and repercussions of our specific actions then we may start heading in a united direction. It’s not all about brownie points or heading campaigns or moving pavitar saroops from A to B!!!

Everybody here agree that they are good panthic minded youth.

Everybody here agree that they need to start Awareness program.

When they started, they did amazing work and from their history of sewa it seems that they protected the hukamnama of Akal Takht Sahib and respected its authority. We also know that all beadgey happened because ppl aren't aware basics of sikhi and don't know the importance of working/respect of Akal Takhat. We also know that its not easy to find the solution for such problems. But we do know that we are in dire need of having a long term plan to get to the root of the problem and pull it out and have postive outcome in coming years.

My two cent suggestion will be:

1) Organize a Fundraising

2) Put money in publication of stories and issues concerning Respecting of Guru Sahib and other common social issues*.

3) Set up booth all over UK under different banner/name (name doesnt matter but message does)

4) Mail flyers to common sikh sangat across UK and so on

5) Do this for one full year (4 times a month)

*When choosing the written material.. you have to think that common sikh person is going to read your flyers and its fact that our brother and sisters are soooo confused on what is right or what is wrong in sikhi.. So my opinion is that make the material in a liberal way and neutral style of discussing issues. Using words like Panthic or even political standpoint will make them think that we guys are fan*tics.. etc..

Keep up the good work and do take the opinions of sangat in the consideration..

WJKK WJKF

Firstly all of this post is my opinion only.

I fell that what the R4G Sikhs (Sikhs, not Singhs, cuz alot of Singhneea were also present), had a good thing going. They had the set up, the contacts, and most importantly they had various case studies to refer back to (due to the fact that alot of beadbi had been stopped up and down the UK. Many of the R4G Sikhs both from London and Midlands have given their time, money, patience, resources and even thier freedom (many have been arrested) for the cause, and for this I say Bole Sonihaal, Sat Sri Akaal.

They ALWAYS were in contact with the respected families/organisations before and during any protests. This ensured that such protest by Gursikhs went as peacefully as possible and in many cases stopped the beadbi before it got to that stage. So education was also given.

In the time i've heard of and been imvolved with R4G (and i'm just an average 'joe' off the streets), I have seen many cases where beadbi has been stopped.

But recently I've seen factions occuring. Divisions in the UK Sikhi scene. Some people (and you know who you are) have created other campaigns which have different names and are also doing Guru's Seva, but are doing the same thing that R4G were doing. Why? Why the division? Considering R4G had the man power, the studies, the protocol, and the Sikhi all in place why didnt these people just join R4G (theres ALWAYS seva to do, and in Sikhi its all about 'The more the merrier').

Now, doing seva is brilliant, but doing seva together is better!

I dont want to bad mouth these people, but when seva was needed a few years ago with R4G, they 'werent available'/'were too busy', but now they got 'their own thing going on' they jumping in front of cameras, getting media attention, getting all the elder generation (and some do care, but most are just there for the publicity) and getting involved in certain issues which have NOTHING to do with them.

For example why come to Guru Nanak Gurudwara (Smethwick) and give it loads, when the LOCAL Smethwick sangat agreed that they would not get involved in the elders petty conflicts and instead attend a Rhensbhai down the road at Baba Sang Gurudwara (smethwick) peacefully.

And we all know what happened at Guru Nanak Gurudwara that night no.gif

Also the Ek Nivas thing STILL ISNT RESOLVED, and this is after how many years? Meeting after meeting. Contract after contract, and all to no avail!!! You've tried to stop beadbi which is good, but you tried to do it undercover and the facts speak for themselves, that the Ek Nivas issue is still not resolved.

So all I got to say is stop dividing, and unite. Stop trying to do undercover missions and get all the sangat involved. Stop doing whats best for your image/reputation and do whats best for the Khalsa Panth.

Remember, I'm just an average Joe of the streets, and if I can see all this, then you Gursikhs reading this must see and know alot more.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karnee

Well said!!!!

the panth is ours..............and its up to all of us.............lets not critisise, lets contact R4G, join em , give our opinions and help them do what is right...........lets not sit back and slag of anyone and anything which trys to do the sikh religion a favour...........like always the good guys get slagged off............... iv heard just abotu everything!!!

WJKK WJKF

Thank you very much Parwinder Singh

Like i stated on my post, 'my opinions are my own', but i am glad that some people agree with me.

and like Parwinder Singh said;

the panth is ours..............and its up to all of us.............lets not critisise, lets contact R4G, join em , give our opinions and help them do what is right...........lets not sit back and slag of anyone and anything which trys to do the sikh religion a favour...........like always the good guys get slagged off............... iv heard just abotu everything!!!

Lets not keep slagging off people that do seva because u think they've done it wrong or differently to how you would have done it. The best way to express your beliefs and views is by getting involved actively and not writing condeming posts on this forum.

Where there is beadbi people ARE ready to fight, whether it be with the pen or the sword. but when we Sikhs are already finding it hard to stop such beadbi, why are there other so called Sikhs also tripping us up?

Everybody here agree that they are good panthic minded youth.

Everybody here agree that they need to start Awareness program.

When they started, they did amazing work and from their history of sewa it seems that they protected the hukamnama of Akal Takht Sahib and respected its authority. We also know that all beadgey happened because ppl aren't aware basics of sikhi and don't know the importance of working/respect of Akal Takhat. We also know that its not easy to find the solution for such problems. But we do know that we are in dire need of having a long term plan to get to the root of the problem and pull it out and have postive outcome in coming years.

My two cent suggestion will be:

1) Organize a Fundraising

2) Put money in publication of stories and issues concerning Respecting of Guru Sahib and other common social issues*.

3) Set up booth all over UK under different banner/name (name doesnt matter but message does)

4) Mail flyers to common sikh sangat across UK and so on

5) Do this for one full year (4 times a month)

*When choosing the written material.. you have to think that common sikh person is going to read your flyers and its fact that our brother and sisters are soooo confused on what is right or what is wrong in sikhi.. So my opinion is that make the material in a liberal way and neutral style of discussing issues. Using words like Panthic or even political standpoint will make them think that we guys are fan*tics.. etc..

Keep up the good work and do take the opinions of sangat in the consideration..

Some excellent points here :TH: .

Looking back at the R4G campaign, they initially engaged in eradicating the bad practice of taking the pavitar saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee to hotels and halls via the 1998 hukumnama. Credit where credit's due they managed to create national awareness within the UK Sikh community and have contributed in a big way to minimising this bad practice in the UK and even influenced Sikhs in US to do something. This was primarily due to the fact that they were focusing on one specific issue of beadbi and were moderately humble in their approach. I actually attended the big meeting with Northampton Gurdwara prabhadak committee a few years ago as well as the Camberley protest which was in my view handled in a peaceful panthic way. I was also present at Leamington where I feel it went all wrong and I think by then a sense on indestructibility and egos had started entering the Singhs which showed that the movement or lehar could move in the wrong direction if egos did not come back down.

As the term beadbi is so broad and subjective it is also open to manipulation, where now other new groups of individuals seem to feel that by focusing on a beadbi issue will give them a boost in manpower and supporters. It feels like it is all about who can shout the loudest now and who has the manpower or who makes the better youtube video. Maybe we should unite under one lehar as was the case a couple if years ago and not numerous sub-sections which now exist. Encourage a visable Punj Pyayray system (not gupt) for key decision making with direct links to the Akal Takht Sahib and supported by the UK Sikh community.