• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest peacemaker
Fateh

Dont eat langar then

make ur own food or eat from home

Don't eat langar?!!! That's a first. Do sikhs have to argue about every little thing? Come on now!

Eat Less!!!!!

Don't pig out when you go to a Gurdwara or eat langar at a program. A person should only eat a minimal amount of langar (don't pig out like its all you can eat.....aka a BUFFET!). Also try to get some excercise (or do more sewa) if you think langar is making you unhealthy....aka fat...(I ain't saying this to anyone in particular) :devil:

speaking to my parents and others, it would seem that the food we serve at langar is fulllllllll of fat and butter. Considering indians are more predisposed to diabeties than gori, and heart disease. Dont you think we owe it to the panth to keep them healthy by making the food we serve healthier? Using olive oil instead of butter? Serving more fruit and veg, and less jallibee

Is there anyway to make prashad without so much butter?

Sikhi has it's roots in Punjab and therefore the culture of Punjab has influenced the content of langar-this is obvious.

Langar has some good things such as proteins from the pulses, calcium from the yoghurt, iron from spinach and vitamins and minerals from salad . However, the fat content is a problem, for adults.

Ghee or butter are full of saturated fats. In small amounts, these are fine, but your fats should be mono or polyunsaturated. Olive oil and sunflower oil are excellent for cooking. We have to adapt. The Guru's have taught us to look after our bodies. Sheikh Baba Fareed Ji says is his sloks 'jinay kadhee chopree, ghanay saingay dukh', meaning those who eat roti covered in butter will suffer in pain. Clearly what Fareed Jee was referring to was the affect of saturated fat on the coronary circulation of the heart, leading to ischaemic heart disease and heart failure. The latter are very common amongst elderly Sikh men and women. Most of the elderly folk will have a GTN spray in their pockets or bags to carry them through the next angina attack.

My personal practice is to eat one roti and just daal and salad (as at home). I get comments from the bibian saying 'leh...too kuj kadha nay', but I just ignore them.

One way to make the langar healthier is to introduce vegetarian Europian style dishes, such as rice and millet based pasta, with sauces etc. The American Sikhs have a non-Punjabi langar all the time....

Drizzling some Omega 3, 6 and 9 oils (such as Udo's vegetarian oil) is superb for the coronary arteries longterm. Excercise is manadatory.

As far as parshaad is concerned...this should be left untouched. maryada is maryada....just ask for a very small amount form the degh sevadar....the idea of parshad is to simply sweeten the mouth, as Waheguru's words are sweet, and not to fur up the coronary arteries, by consuming a large amounts. Sadly, some of the degh sevedars are full of hankaar and will get angry if you ask for a small amount. Somehow they are physically incapable of distributing very small amounts.

We have to unlearn what we have learned.

Guest Papi
'jinay kadhee chopree, ghanay saingay dukh', meaning those who eat roti covered in butter will suffer in pain
i dont think thats the right translation grin.gif

Our ancestors used to drink a full "shh-naa*" of desi gheo and never suffered from any of today's deadly ailments. They did hard physical labour and had a healthy diet. Today we rarely see anyone working out or doing physical labour, langar ta appe hi unhealthy honna.

*"shh-naa" is a pittal da bhanda, if you are lucky you might find it in sandook of your Biji. Its pretty much resembles a bowl.

I posted this before but I'll post it again:

I remember speaking to a doctor who worked with a Singh in Southall/Wembley. The Singh was a doctor doing research into why there is such a high level of heart disease amongst the Sikh population.

He analysed the diets of several Sikh families (not sure how many) and found that their diets were not too different from the Western diet (ie wasn't higher in fat or anything).

Basically they think it's a genetic link - we are genetically predisposed to heart disease.

Obviously diet isn't gonna help, but even if your diet is perfect, still doesn't stop you from having heart attacks. Just reduces the risk of getting one.

Like I said before, the diet isn't going to help but eating langar once a week isn't going to kill you.

Also, there's no need to eat everything. Just the minimum so you aren't hungry. I used to eat lots at the Gurdwara and then had difficulty doing anything else because all the blood was going to my digestive system. Now Daal and Roti will suffice, sometimes with dahey.

Don't need to mention exercise - someone's already mentioned it before.

Fateh

Dont eat langar then

make ur own food or eat from home

Don't eat langar?!!! That's a first. Do sikhs have to argue about every little thing? Come on now!

lol haha! i agree wid peacemaker

4 langar food can't get nica food newere else! 4 it being unhealthy dats da best thing about it! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm all this food talk makin me hungry! wahegurooooooooo