Bhangra

i dunno if its right or wrong ....i dont think its apart of sikhi...bhsangra is a punjabi cultural thing...dont mix the two...and how often do u hear "real" bhangra....always the same crap with sluts(sorri 4 the language) dancing in the videos,drinking and stsrting beef 4 dumb reasons....if anything pretty opposite to sikhi

then theres those rare tunes that talk about the real stuff....but how often do those come around?

bhai what your talking about isnt bhangra...thats whats known as "uk punjabi <admin-profanity filter activated>"...has nothing to do with true bhangra as much as people think it does...and i agree...the songs with meanings arent about anymore...song by chamkila, manak, shinda, faqir, ashiq jatt, asa mastana, Rangila jatt, yamla jatt etc....they aint about anymore.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate modern day Bhangra, but the old school stuff is the best.

Bhangra has taken the route of rap music, in the old school days it was about hardships and struggles that the black community have to live with, something we can all relate to, and now its about guns, cars, women, drugs, drink.

bwdu ibbwdu kwhU isau n kIjY ]

baadh bibaadh kaahoo sio n keejai ||

Do not engage in any arguments or debates with anyone.

rsnw rwm rswienu pIjY ]2]

rasanaa raam rasaaein peejai ||2||

With your tongue, savor the Lord's sublime essence. ||2|| d_oh.gif

vahiguroo vahiguroo vahiguroo pray.gif

^ Yeh.

Sikhi and punjabi culture does not need to go hand in hand. There are Sikhs in mexico, many of whom argue a lot less than us and meditate a lot more than us, and they do not embrace punjabi culture. Akaal Purakh has the power to place His light in the form of Guru Nanak Dev Ji anywhere in the world. I feel that saying 'without punjab there would be no Sikhi' is almost undermining Sikhi itself. But then again, many other things in this thread seem to do that too.

Methinks tis time for me to go back to hiding in the gurbani vichaar section.

^ Yeh.

Sikhi and punjabi culture does not need to go hand in hand. There are Sikhs in mexico, many of whom argue a lot less than us and meditate a lot more than us, and they do not embrace punjabi culture. Akaal Purakh has the power to place His light in the form of Guru Nanak Dev Ji anywhere in the world. I feel that saying 'without punjab there would be no Sikhi' is almost undermining Sikhi itself. But then again, many other things in this thread seem to do that too.

I kind of agree, no-one HAS to embrace their punjabi roots, but you shouldnt knock people who do. Because tome being punjab is just as important as being a singh...same applies to most of my family ( most of whom are amritdharis). personally i dont think a lot of people understand tru punjabi culture...it isnt about drinking, women etc...thats just bull.tru punjabi culture is morels, respect for your family, courage, bravery, love for everyone etc

yes there are some bad points to punjabi culutre but thats just with every culture . No culture is perfect

I kind of agree, no-one HAS to embrace their punjabi roots, but you shouldnt knock people who do. Because tome being punjab is just as important as being a singh...same applies to most of my family ( most of whom are amritdharis). personally i dont think a lot of people understand tru punjabi culture...it isnt about drinking, women etc...thats just bull.tru punjabi culture is morels, respect for your family, courage, bravery, love for everyone etc

yes there are some bad points to punjabi culutre but thats just with every culture . No culture is perfect

Couldn't agree more!! respect.gif

Ryt, so wat would you guys say to a Amritdahri Singh playing the dhol then???

Not dancing and doing bhangra but just playing the dhol with a group @ cultural programmes and weddings...and the odd charity show!!! grin.gif

can sumbody anser my question aswell plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:umm::

Guest Akirtghan
^ Yeh.

these 2 posts sumup just about everything in my view :umm:

o mawwan thandiyan shavan..o shavan kaun karre

seems like the debate is gonna be over :umm: wht do i say to create some controversy..umm.. yeah i dont blames the western kids for not liking punjabi culture coz they havent really seen the true punjab..so yeah not u'r fault :umm: .

whenever a kid from the west goes to Punjab..all the punjabis think ki club jaandi honni, sharab peende honne, valaitan aa (western culture..hanna?)... u guys feel the same about punjabi culture ..i guess