What Can U Categorize As Idolizing?

I just wanted your opinion on what is categorized as idolizing in Sikhi.

Idolizing definitions:

• An image used as an object of worship.
  • One that is adored, often blindly or excessively.
  • Something visible but without substance

ਮਹਲਾ 5 ॥

ਜੋ ਪਾਥਰ ਕਉ ਕਹਤੇ ਦੇਵ, ਤਾ ਕੀ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੇਵ | ਜੋ ਪਾਥਰ ਕੀ ਪਾਂਈ ਪਾਇ,ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਘਾਲ ਅਜਾਂਈ ਜਾਇ |1| ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਹਮਰਾ ਸਦ ਬੋਲੰਤਾ, ਸਰਬ ਜੀਆ ਕਉ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਦੇਤਾ |1| ਰਹਾਉ | ਅੰਤਰਿ ਦੇਉ ਨ ਜਾਨੈ ਅੰਧੁ, ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕਾ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਪਾਵੈ ਫੰਧੁ | ਨ ਪਾਥਰੁ ਬੋਲੈ ਨਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਦੇਇ, ਫੋਕਟ ਕਰਮ ਨਿਹਫਲ ਹੈ ਸੇਵ |2| ਜੇ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਉ ਚੰਦਨੁ ਚੜਾਵੈ, ਉਸ ਤੇ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਵਨ ਫਲ ਪਾਵੈ| ਜੇ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਉ ਬਿਸਟਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਰੁਲਾਈ, ਤਾਂ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਾ ਕਿਆ ਘਟਿ ਜਾਈ |3| ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਹਉ ਕਹਉ ਪੁਕਾਰਿ , ਸਮਝਿ ਦੇਖੁ ਸਾਕਤ ਗਾਵਾਰ | ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਘਰ ਗਾਲੇ, ਰਾਮ ਭਗਤ ਹੈ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖਾਲੇ |4|4|12|

Fifth Mehl:

Those who call a stone (idol) their god their seva, service, is useless. Those who fall at the feet of a stone (idol) – their work is wasted in vain. (1)

My Lord and Master speaks forever. God gives His gifts to all living beings. (1) (Pause)

The spiritually blind one does not recognize that the Divine Lord is within us. Deluded by doubt, he is more and more caught up in the noose. The stone does not speak; it does not give anything to anyone. (Bathing the stone and asking it to eat food etc) – Such religious rituals are useless; such service is fruitless, (no reward is found in this service). (2)

If a corpse is anointed with sandalwood oil, what good does it do for the dead corpse? If a corpse is rolled in manure, what does the dead corpse lose from this? (3)

Says Kabeer, I proclaim this out loud behold, and understand, ‘O ignorant and stupid people who are separated from the Lord! Understand and see, leaving the Lord and placing love in other things (i.e. the love of duality) has ruined countless homes. Only those are forever in bliss who are the Lord's devotees. (4.4.12)

(P. 1160, SGGS)

You could argue that portraying guru ji's photo's in gurdwara's and in our homes is a way of idolising. Another instance which is very common is the use of "toof" (candle scent). If this is a way of carrying out "dolizing" why do gursikhs use it and how has it become so powerful in gurdwareh.

Another area which I have identified and which I would like all gursikhs to voice their opinion's on are "fancy rumaleh", this shows to a degree that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is being treated as an idol.

Wgjkk wgjkf

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Akirtghan
Another instance which is very common is the use of "toof" (candle scent). If this is a way of carrying out "dolizing" why do gursikhs use it and how has it become so powerful in gurdwareh.
try to understand something before criticizing it.

the scent makes the room smell nice, it also keeps the bugs away

Another area which I have identified and which I would like all gursikhs to voice their opinion's on are "fancy rumaleh", this shows to a degree that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is being treated as an idol.
ok you go and buy designer clothes while guru sahib shouldn't have fancy rumaley eh :wub: if you dont like em then bheta a "simple" rumala to guru sahib. depends on your shardha really, not a hard concept to grasp. grin.gif

Another instance which is very common is the use of "toof" (candle scent). If this is a way of carrying out "dolizing" why do gursikhs use it and how has it become so powerful in gurdwareh.
try to understand something before criticizing it.

the scent makes the room smell nice, it also keeps the bugs away

Ok I understand where your coming from, but how about looking from the other side when people use it around photo's of Guru's.

Guest Akirtghan

i dont do that, and thats not inline with gurmat

is it just me or there are more and more users from uk who are looking at all the wrong things grin.gif i got one question for you, bani kini pardey oo?

Guest Akirtghan
Doing candel stick rituals - covering SGGS in fancy rumarls is easir than reading and studing than Gurubani. Most unparr (uneducated people do it).
lol if they are uneducated how do you expect em to read man rolleyes.gif

and, i you ever heard of a thing called maryada? grin.gif

I also no people do combos like doing round round picture of Gurus with candel scent.
yah thats not inline with gurmat.
Everyone has got an opinion on here, this is a message board, I just want your view's and if your questioning my knowledge of baani, who are you to tell me.

it was just a question man, no need to get offended :wub: