Rakhri

the thing iz, no1 these days actually knoz da true meaning of why itz dun. All i knew uptil nw woz dat it wo dun as a symbol of lv and protection. no1 teaches da true meaning of his sorta stuff, and datz y young ppl dnt hav a clue, itz nt lyk u learn it at punjabi skl! If ppl knew then may b thingz wud change...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

find its history first because, while i agree that it is simply a symbol, you guys don't even know when or why it started. I actually learned about this specific origin at school...

"One of the earliest origins of Raksha Bandhan in documented history can be traced to the medieval era. During this period the Rajputs were fighting Muslim invasions. Rakhi at that time was a spiritual symbol associated with protection of the sister. History has it that when Queen Karnawati the widow of the then King of Chittor realised that she could in no way defend the invasion of the Sultan of Gujarat, Bahadur Shah, she sent a rakhi to Emperor Humayun. The Emperor touched by the gesture, accepted the rakhi thereby accepting Queen Karnawati as a "sister" and immediately started off with his vast troops to protect Queen Karnavati."

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakhi

I thought it was obvious...

It's like mother's day. It's secular, since the essential symbol is not representative of one religion and clearly has historical roots too, supposedly. So it's not anti-sikh, as much as that term has been thrown around here...

ok so the rajputs used it as a symbol of protection. what does the rajputs' ways have to do with the sikh way?

and history proves that hindu women being sold in afghanistan didn't get helped by a rakhri. it was the kirpan which saved sisters and mothers and it was kirpans in the hands of sisters and mothers who saved many more.

we don't need to go to histories of any rajputs etc for advice on sikh way of living.

our history is proof enough that rakhris etc never meant anything for sikhs.

There are histories behind everything. you think the stuff guru nanak ji turned upside down didn't have reasons and histories? the janeoo i'm sure has a reason and history too. but guru sahib taught us that the universal truth is beyond all this mumbo jumbo pakhand waaji.

peace.

what i said was that this is a secular symbol. I didn't even say that sikhs should wear it. If in your narrow mind that translates into an invasion of sikhism, i can't help it.

look at the facts first. the janeo is a religious symbol. this is a secular one (considering the multitude of people who do it, and the supposedly historical origins). A rakhi does not invoke any hindu god/goddess, its just a secular symbol.

if you value the kirpan for those reasons, keep on wearing it, nothing wrong with it or the history behind it. But you're making an illogical statement because it hardly matters in this specific case. In this case, it is about secular symbols, and i doubt the kirpan is secular. And this is not some bloody competition....keep the self-righteous anger out of your posts...

Gian Dhian Kichh Karam Na Jana

Sar Na Jana Teri

Sabb Tey Vada Satgur Nanak

Jin Kal Rakhi Meri

I know no Gian (Divine Knowledge), Dhian (Meditation) and Karma philosophy (virtuous deeds).

I do not know your true greatness.

But I know one thing that my Satguru (True Guru) Nanak is the Greatest of all,

Who has protected me in this Dark Age (Kalyug).

Sri Guru Granth Sahib (Ang 750)

“Rakhi” (protection) is not in a piece of string that you tie round your wrist. Sabb Tey Vada Satgur Nanak, Jin Kal Rakhi Meri!!

Ive been anti-rakhree up until a few years ago - the reason being, i believe it can help guys see girls as their sisters and girls see guys as their brothers. I give you the example, a friend of mine had a guy after her for since she met him at college or wherever. They got close etc and got to know his family. But he began to have feelings for her and she didnt know how to let him down delicately, so on rakhri day she went round his house with a rakhree and he got the message then.

A lot of people tie rakhria. Some people go a bit OTT with it but many just do it because its a family thing and something to do.