Dr.Kuthuria

Jaspaul Singh

Waheguru jio!

I myself being a Canadian citizen am amazed to see a sikh person running for senate. This is wicked in my behalf, where at least a little the msg can go across to america and maybe finally people would be looking at us differently, and not calling us a part of any other group but as 'SIKHS'.

I know some people mite here say ohh dis is all political no need to get into this or no this wont get our name out... but this guy i think has the skill and knowledge and i would encourage anyone from that area to also support him... you vote is goin to someone init ? rolleyes.gif

Lets have some sangats view on this.......

bul chuk maph

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Je Kha Khalsa, Waheguru Je Fateh:

Personally, I don't know what to make of Dr. Kuthuria. While it is certainly commendable to see a Sikh become involved in the political process, and a very successful one at that, I cannot bring myself to support him because for the simple fact that he is running as a conservative Republican (read Bush puppet) :@

While he is certainly entitled to his views, as we all are at the end of day, it astounds me that some in our community seem to look past his stance on the issues that are of the most importance to us, and throw their support behind him for the simple fact that he is a "Sikh". Personally, I vote on issues, not on ethnicity or religion. I vehemently disagree with his stance on the Iraq War, taxes, education, etc. I believe that when you get right down to it, his views are not in the mainstream with the majority of Sikhs in America, who have traditionally voted Democratic in large numbers as is the case with most other ethnic/minority groups. This, I might add, is not by accident either. It has a lot to do with the fact that the Republican party is not friendly to immigrants or the issues that are of concern to them, despite what Dr. Kathuria would like us all to believe.

Keep in mind, this is strictly my own opinion. I am not claiming to speak for all Sikh Americans, but I believe that once you look past the fact that he "looks like us," his policies do not bode well for America. :)

If you want more info, you can go to his website and judge for yourself:

http://www.kathuriaforsenate.com

-Gurfateh

Guest SikhForLife

well there are two sides to this coin..

regardless of his stands i believe that there is an urgent need to have a sikh in mass media..

regardless of him being so called a Bush Puppet.. i think we need a sikh celeb. figure more than we need a "democrat"

regardless of his un-sikh like past.. its his image.. (litterally) that will improve Sikh - American relations

SikhforLife,

Having a Sikh in mass media is very important no doubt….but just what kind of Sikh is Mr. Kuthuria? If I want a Sikh out there, then he should be a proper Sikh, not just another wealthy businessman with bucket loads of degrees and money who thinks he can just wear a beard and turban and that’s that. Some questions to think about: What do his spiritual practices consist of? Does he follow rehat? Where does he stand on the issue of Sikh independence, resolving the fate of Sikh political prisoners, and what are his attitudes towards the Indian Government in general should he be elected?

Some might say I’m being harsh, but if he is gonna put himself out there like this, and is askin’ Sikhs to support him, then naturally these questions need to be asked. I’m not sayin’ he needs to be some Brahim Giani out there holier than thou, but at the same time, I can’t bring himself to seeing him being an ambassador of my faith to the rest of the Untied States. There is just something about him that doesn’t sit right with me (other than the obvious).

Also, it should be noted that there are several so called "Sikh leaders" in the United States who have made it a point to associate themselves with him and his candidacy. If being a conservative, right wing-Republican wasn’t cause to raise some alarm bells, this should. Some fundraisers, but not all, have been held for him by some of these shady and corrupt individuals…I will not names, but just think about those "leaders" who are always rushing to get their face in the newspaper or in front of camera at every Gurdwara event, and you will have your answer. They often times try to make themselves out to be panth

ic sevaadars, but actually workin' against the panth...

‘nough said

-Gurfateh

P.S. as far as Cali Sangat goes, this is hardly representative of the sangat that is here...we are nearly 175,000 strong. These people that show up to the fundraisers are more enamored with the fact that he is a "Sikh" and overlook his stance on the issues....a travesty indeed. :)

You have raised quite a lot of good points. It would be good to have sikh like that... but i fear its not always the case. You should be happy after all he is a keshdhari sikh. The gift of rehat is given by Waheguru.

We should pray to waheguru to give the gift of naam to our brothers and sisters, waheguru bless us all :)

its good that sikhs are doing progress. im happy :@