Non-sikh Music

abdus-salaam

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can do 2 things, move towards guru ji or away, depends where you want to go, who wants to jump on sachkand express!! you tickets jappin naaaaaam!! and if u dont want to then u can do things that wastes this preciaus human life by doing things like hmm listening to music, our goal in life to become one with waheguru, anything else we do in this game created by god is a waste, death can come any second, dont get cort out by doing something useless in this fake world

well when i was little i listened to pop and bangra, then i went into a bad phase and was mainly into black metal / death metal / goth metal. Then i found waheguru again and now i listen to some kirtan, some softish rock, and indie.

i like to listen to songs that have good meaning, just becuase its not kirtan it doesnt mean it cant inspire us to be better human beings. Its the same with reading stories. There are numerous stories / quotes posted on this website alone, that aren't sikh stories, yet we are inspired by them. Would you say this is wrong too?

Try listening to something like placebo - plasticine

i dont mean to offend anyone, i just feel that we should keep our minds open, and not judge a certain type of music like rock or hip-hop based on a few songs we have heard in that category.

wjkk wjkf

but theres nuthing rong with listening to music thats makes us better people, or inspires us,butttt if u read the meaning of bani theres no music out there that can tell us to be better people, or inspire us more than bani, we have bani for all them purposes, hu needs other types of music

I just want to make one post here and I will leave this topic, purely because it's quite distressing how many Singhs and Singhnis are listening to music.

Now about this thuk of Guroo Mahraj di pavitr bani

"O my fascinating Lord, may I never listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||"

It most definently applies to ALL music outside of the Guroo's house, as when you look around you will see all of us are manmukhs except the rare few who Guroo Sahib has blessed.

I used to listen to all sorts of music, quite alot of 2pac and other similar artists, I also started quitting most songs I like, then started playing the "Conscientious' card.

However now I have realised, ALL thinking which is not Guroo Sahib's mat is ultimately FLAWED now matter how right it sounds to our own mind.

Yes, 2pac and whoever else had great messages, but look at their lives, kaami, druggie, etc. Realise that yes music is indeed a VERY powerful thing, that is exactly why we sing Gurbani alongside instruments, because it goes inside you, it gets inside your very soul.

Now tell me, do you want to be absorbing the thoughts of some of these artists, or do you want to be absorbing Guroo Sahib?

Why listen to it anyway? Is there something missing from Guroo Nanak Dev Ji's laad khajana??

I remember using music to chill out when I was depressed or angry, but then isn't that taking your dependency away from Guroo Sahib, and into another person who is just as flawed as any of us.

You want conscientious songs, read and sing Guroo Gobind Singh Ji Mahraj's Zafarnama,

if you want love songs then what song can be better than the one about the greatest lover?

Want something pumping, plenty of Bir Rass by Guroo Gobind Singh Ji, listen to that.

Sorry for the long post, but I really felt the need to give my own stupid input

Hope i havent offended anyone

ps. not being funny(or prejudiced) but I find it very interesting that someone professing to be a member of another faith starting up an evidently controversial topic (as seen from searching the forum) which is bound to cause arguments among members grin.gif

ps. not being funny(or prejudiced) but I find it very interesting that someone professing to be a member of another faith starting up an evidently controversial topic (as seen from searching the forum) which is bound to cause arguments among members grin.gif

actually if i remember correctly it was a normal discussion until some hardcore ppl took over..

arguements began when ppl started posting one-liners to prove their points.