Why Arn't Thier More Sikh Athletes

mandeep99

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to all the athletes mentioned here that have made the achievements they have. They’ve likely overcome subtle racist attitudes and so many seem so committed and dignified. I wish them the utmost success and they should be proud of their achievements.

However, were do we get the nerve to claim that they are Sikh? Are we reducing Sikhi to caste? They may admire sikhi. A sikhi perspective may admire them.

But misleading and destructive to the preservation of sikhi roop to repeatedly suggest that this is representative of a Sikh.

Don’t challenge me. I am only trying to be Sikh myself.

If you want to challenge and rebut, then post your rebuttal directed to Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Speak to him as to what regard you have for heads of Sikhs.

Kudos to all the athletes mentioned here that have made the achievements they have. They’ve likely overcome subtle racist attitudes and so many seem so committed and dignified. I wish them the utmost success and they should be proud of their achievements.

However, were do we get the nerve to claim that they are Sikh? Are we reducing Sikhi to caste? They may admire sikhi. A sikhi perspective may admire them.

But misleading and destructive to the preservation of sikhi roop to repeatedly suggest that this is representative of a Sikh.

Don’t challenge me. I am only trying to be Sikh myself.

If you want to challenge and rebut, then post your rebuttal directed to Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Speak to him as to what regard you have for heads of Sikhs.

Ok, let them deal with Guru Ji direct. Like you will probably be having some difficulties following Sikhi fully yourself, so do others.

You can talk endlessly about the people who do have the saroop and do all manner of evil/corrupt things. Look at the vast majority of Sikh "leaders" as examples. I think Guru ji will be more upset with them then the people you are talking about.

Truth is, if their was a mona who was world class at, say boxing, then i think most Sikhs regardless of backgrounds would be happy.

Even if they aren't practising Sikhs they still come from Sikh backgrounds and will have historical roots to the Khalsa. You know those Khalsas that shook up the earth and changed the cultural and political scope of Panjab and the surrounding area. Not the ones around today. The indisputable fact is that many of the everyday people you see around are the direct blood descendants of Khalsa soldiers. You may not feel they have any right to any sort of linkage to Sikh history but that doesn't change historical fact.

Kudos to all the athletes mentioned here that have made the achievements they have. They've likely overcome subtle racist attitudes and so many seem so committed and dignified. I wish them the utmost success and they should be proud of their achievements.

Don't challenge me. I am only trying to be Sikh myself.

you know what only guru ji can decide whose a sikh but what i believe is anyone who believes in sikhi is a sikh if they practise it or don't, and how can you say anyone in this worlds a sikh. How do you know if your a sikh??

i believe anyone who would die for sikhi is for sure a sikh or risk his life for sikhi is a sikh and i believe one of those guys was maharaja ranjit singh and i believe he was a sikh.

if anyone believes only a gursikh can be a sikh, then why would god send a so called non sikh by the name of maharaja ranjit singh to lead the sikhs and give the sikhs a homeland and not send a gursikh to do this???

you know what only guru ji can decide who's a sikh

That's right! And they HAVE - Gurbani makes it very clear in Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Dasam Granth Ji.

what i believe is anyone who believes in sikhi is a sikh if they practise it or don't

What is 'believing in Sikhi'? If you believe Guru Ji's teachings to be True, then why not follow them - makes no sense.

Most of what we know of Maharaja Ranjit Singh is from British writers. How true it is, I don't know, but I do know he accepted and underwent punishment (tankahiya) for any wrong doing he did.

This was meant to be a thread about Sikh athletes.........

That's right! And they HAVE - Gurbani makes it very clear in Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Dasam Granth Ji.

what i believe is anyone who believes in sikhi is a sikh if they practise it or don't

What is 'believing in Sikhi'? If you believe Guru Ji's teachings to be True, then why not follow them - makes no sense.

Most of what we know of Maharaja Ranjit Singh is from British writers. How true it is, I don't know, but I do know he accepted and underwent punishment (tankahiya) for any wrong doing he did.

this topic is about sikh athletes but just hate it when a certain group of sikhs judge another group of sikhs, so do you deny sikhs ever had an empire under maharaja ranjit singh lol hahahahaahha do you really deny this cause. Thats most pathetic argument ever.

you didn't answer my question either, WHY DID GURU JI SEND A NON GURSIKH AND SO CALLED NON SIKH BY THE NAME OF MAHARAJA RANJIT SINGH TO TO GIVE SIKHS A HOMELAND AND EMPIRE AND NOT SEND A GURSIKH???

Why is it so many gursikhs talk so proudly about bhagat singh udham singh and kartar singh and claim these men to be brave sikhs??? could you give us names of some gursikhs who did more damage to the british then these men

do you deny sikhs ever had an empire under maharaja ranjit singh lol hahahahaahha do you really deny this cause. Thats most pathetic argument ever.

Singh, where did I write or imply that? Please show me.....

WHY DID GURU JI SEND A NON GURSIKH AND SO CALLED NON SIKH BY THE NAME OF MAHARAJA RANJIT SINGH TO TO GIVE SIKHS A HOMELAND AND EMPIRE AND NOT SEND A GURSIKH???

Firstly, what's that got to do with the definition of a Sikh. Secondly, who are you to say Maharaja Ranjit Singh was not a Sikh? What are you basing this on?

Have you heard of the Shaheedi Morchey during British rule?

The fact is, Gurbani tells us who is or who isn't a Sikh. Personally I'm not even close, but I never claim to be either.

theres a singh i know he used to play for my hockey club he played for england under 21, hes really good i haven't seen him in ages hes got a injury i think, we need more Sikh youth playing hockey, hockeys the best sport in the world and anyone that thinks different doesn't play hockey so they cannot say lol