Sikh Girl Wins Kara Court Case

WILDSINGH

harmeet and rupinder ,i encourage you to go to the sky news website and under the storythere , add your comments there about the importance of the kara .lets not just come on this website and lament that gorey or whoever are anti us ,or that next she needs to be baptised in the nxt 24 hours .rather ,lets take this oppurtunity to go to the sky news website and challenge ppl there posting negative comments about this judgement so ppl reading this story can know our the truth of the kara .i have just done that meself

So we back someone who wears a kara whilst they use the same hand to cut their kes simply because it is her "right" to wear the "bangle" in isolation to other recognized fundamental distinctiveness (the Kes) of the Sikhs. As ever all we have done is loosened the parameters of being a Sikh and exposed ourselves in the process. Is the kara really that important to someone who uses the same hand to pluck the kes of their face or indulge in alcohol or smoke their cigarette? Before we back someone's agenda on behalf of the Sikh community, should we not look at the effect on marayada of Sikhs and how we can explain that to non Sikhs?

You can call me Judgemental (or whatever you please), I don't mind...

Just because someones hairs cut doesnt necessarily mean they cut it on an ongoing basis she could be growing it for all you know

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sorry but i've been forced to post. to the small minority posting cheap insults at the girl have you got no shame?

i've had to spend 5 minuites of my time that i could have spent doing something more productive clearing up a few tacky comments aimed at a young girl who doesnt even have the right of reply on the forum. some people seriously need to think before they post because we call ourselves Sikhs of Guru jee but we bring shame to our Father looking at the nonsense posted here.

if someone wears kakaars good for them, if anyone posting here is actually going to take up the role of good sangat for this girl or anyone else, good for you, otherwise we may as well call ourselves nindiya-chuglee-sangat.com. there's no difference between us and the sad pathetic people who sit at the back of Darbar Sahib with SatGuru Maharaj King of Kings seated right in front of them and they're too blind to see and too busy backchatting about some bibi's dress-sense.

And now that she can wear the "bangle", I hope she finds it easier to keep the kes too.

So true, the Kara is not an optional extra. This judgement is wrong wearing panj kakkar is a must for those who are amritdhari. She is not amridhari and has cut her hair so there was no compulsion for her to wear a kara.

the thing is, most amrit dhari singhs i see these days only wear a miniature version of the kara, and not one you can actually use like a kara lol. Also many amrit dhari singhs aren't even trained in using the kara :6

Veer Ji , Why do I always end up observing that your views are so fragile about Kesh-dharis and AmritDharis , I guess you yourself do not keep Kesh? otherwise instead of taking out mistakes from Amritdharis style of living , you should have been encouraging them , for Amritdharis are few in number , and it is really a bakshish from GuruJi to keep Kesh and live the life Amritdhari way.

I am a sehajdhari myself , and by Guru's Kirpa will shak amrit sometime , but I am getting ready myself , I just love how , whenever I have some guilt in my mind , or I am going to do something wrong with my hands , i look at my sarbloh , and feel the purity , and thats when I hold myself back. Its good that this Girl fought for the so called article of faith , These Goras need to be atught from basics , we can't teach them each article of faith , and cant go on fighting for , Dastaar , Kirpans or Kada , but we have a duty to educate nonSIkhs about true Sikhi , because at the end of the day it will be a true SIkh who will suffer and not the pseudo-modern Sikhs because they can go on compromising their identity. :)

Waheguru!

There was an hour long discussion about Sikhs on Radio 5 between 10-11pm, it was clear that most callers had no idea who Sikhs were, one of the guests then gave an overview of Sikhs as did a Sikh he called in. A further positive outcome from this case.

Kara case involving a South Wales school

Statement by the Sikh Federation (UK)

The Sikh Federation (UK) has been involved with the Kara case involving a South Wales school when first approached by the family via Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton in October 2007.

The Federation has no regrets whatsoever in helping the family and in re-asserting the legal right of ALL Sikhs (Amritdhari and non-Amritdhari) to practice their faith and not to have any of their articles of faith removed by a school, employer etc. It has been a shame that Sikhs have had to return to the courts 25 years after the historic Mandla v Lee case in the House of Lords in 1983 that afforded Sikhs (and Jews, but not others) this right.

There is so much that many do not know about what the family has gone through. No family, Sikh or non-Sikh family, should have to experience, the discrimination, verbal and physical attacks etc. they have endured. Anyone calling themselves a Sikh should be prepared to stand up for such families as a matter of principle and if they truly understand the teachings of our Gurus and continue to live their lives as Sikhs.

We agree 100% that every Sikh should aspire to become an Amritdhari. The courts understand this and it was excellent to hear Sarika in January 2008 outside the Welsh Assembly publicly express her desire to become an Amritdhari to hundreds of Sikhs and the media. She should be given time to learn more about the faith she has chosen and we should all help her in her desire to be blessed with Amrit.

It is a real shame that some Sikhs posting on discussion forums or speaking publicly on radio are being very narrow minded and believe only Amritdhari Sikhs should have the right to wear the Kara or fight such cases. It is difficult for anyone to argue the Panj kakkars do not have equal status, although some would make a special case for Kesh. However, if we were to accept the argument of those that say 'only Amritdhari Sikhs have the absolute right to any of the kakkars' would they be silent and in agreement if tomorrow all schools and employers in the UK said Sikhs had to remove their Kesh unless they were an Amritdhari if they wanted to go to school or work. We suspect there would be (and rightly so) a huge outcry by Sikhs and non-Sikhs.

In short those (particularly some Amritdhari Sikhs) that are quick to criticise Sarika or any other Sikh that is aspiring to become an Amritdhari Sikh need to realise their views on this would and do turn people away from Sikhi. How should a younger Sikh go about moving towards Amrit and adopting each of the panj kakkars if Amritdhari Sikhs held such views on an all or nothing approach.

Many organisations (Sikh and non-Sikh) have been involved in this successful campaign and all should be congratulated and supported in similar endeavours.

The Sikh Federation (UK) was instrumental in introducing Liberty to the family and advising both along the way. Winning over political support e.g. the local MP Ann Clwyd by using the influence of other politicians, getting the local education authority to withdraw support from the school, organising a successful protest outside the Welsh Assembly that resulted in new guidance being issued to schools the same week and the successful petition by over 200 Sikh Gurdwaras and other organisations that was submitted to 10 Downing Street just before the case was heard in the High Court were just some of the activities where the Sikh Federation (UK) took the lead - despite criticism of the sort we see from a small group of Sikhs, the secular extremists, some other religious groups that believe Sikhs get special treatment and activists from right wing groups.

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

The Sikh Federation (UK) has been involved with the Kara case involving a South Wales school when first approached by the family via Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton in October 2007.

The Federation has no regrets whatsoever in helping the family and in re-asserting the legal right of ALL Sikhs (Amritdhari and non-Amritdhari) to practice their faith and not to have any of their articles of faith removed by a school, employer etc. It has been a shame that Sikhs have had to return to the courts 25 years after the historic Mandla v Lee case in the House of Lords in 1983 that afforded Sikhs (and Jews, but not others) this right.

There is so much that many do not know about what the family has gone through. No family, Sikh or non-Sikh family, should have to experience, the discrimination, verbal and physical attacks etc. they have endured. Anyone calling themselves a Sikh should be prepared to stand up for such families as a matter of principle and if they truly understand the teachings of our Gurus and continue to live their lives as Sikhs.

We agree 100% that every Sikh should aspire to become an Amritdhari. The courts understand this and it was excellent to hear Sarika in January 2008 outside the Welsh Assembly publicly express her desire to become an Amritdhari to hundreds of Sikhs and the media. She should be given time to learn more about the faith she has chosen and we should all help her in her desire to be blessed with Amrit.

It is a real shame that some Sikhs posting on discussion forums or speaking publicly on radio are being very narrow minded and believe only Amritdhari Sikhs should have the right to wear the Kara or fight such cases. It is difficult for anyone to argue the Panj kakkars do not have equal status, although some would make a special case for Kesh. However, if we were to accept the argument of those that say 'only Amritdhari Sikhs have the absolute right to any of the kakkars' would they be silent and in agreement if tomorrow all schools and employers in the UK said Sikhs had to remove their Kesh unless they were an Amritdhari if they wanted to go to school or work. We suspect there would be (and rightly so) a huge outcry by Sikhs and non-Sikhs.

In short those (particularly some Amritdhari Sikhs) that are quick to criticise Sarika or any other Sikh that is aspiring to become an Amritdhari Sikh need to realise their views on this would and do turn people away from Sikhi. How should a younger Sikh go about moving towards Amrit and adopting each of the panj kakkars if Amritdhari Sikhs held such views on an all or nothing approach.

Many organisations (Sikh and non-Sikh) have been involved in this successful campaign and all should be congratulated and supported in similar endeavours.

The Sikh Federation (UK) was instrumental in introducing Liberty to the family and advising both along the way. Winning over political support e.g. the local MP Ann Clwyd by using the influence of other politicians, getting the local education authority to withdraw support from the school, organising a successful protest outside the Welsh Assembly that resulted in new guidance being issued to schools the same week and the successful petition by over 200 Sikh Gurdwaras and other organisations that was submitted to 10 Downing Street just before the case was heard in the High Court were just some of the activities where the Sikh Federation (UK) took the lead - despite criticism of the sort we see from a small group of Sikhs, the secular extremists, some other religious groups that believe Sikhs get special treatment and activists from right wing groups.

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

Also posted separately at:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...t=0#entry361370

The Sikh Federation (UK) was instrumental in introducing Liberty to the family and advising both along the way. Winning over political support e.g. the local MP Ann Clwyd by using the influence of other politicians, getting the local education authority to withdraw support from the school, organising a successful protest outside the Welsh Assembly that resulted in new guidance being issued to schools the same week and the successful petition by over 200 Sikh Gurdwaras and other organisations that was submitted to 10 Downing Street just before the case was heard in the High Court were just some of the activities where the Sikh Federation (UK) took the lead - despite criticism of the sort we see from a small group of Sikhs, the secular extremists, some other religious groups that believe Sikhs get sprecial treatment and activists from right wing groups.

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

Also posted separately at:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...t=0#entry361370

Vah Vah! Another great job by the Feds. Another page for the annual Fedy booklet for 08/09.

Well done to Sikh Federation on their hard work.

One puts on the Kara as a sign that he or she is working their way to taking amrit and is in the process of studying Guru Mat.

The only people I wont agree with are the ones who put on the Kara but do nothing about taking any steps towards studying Guru Mat.

I just hope that Sarika will take steps learning from Guru's divine teachings (Guru Mat) and someone is helping her.