Britain: Sikh Religious Bangle...a Bottle Opener

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/69973

Sarika Watkins-Singh has been allowed to rejoin Aberdare Girls´ School in South Wales. She had been asked to leave the school in November last for wearing a kara (iron bangle), this contravened school rules which do not allow any form of ornamentation. However, her mother´s and her contention was that it was required to be worn, since they were Sikhs. A court ruled in favour of Sarika and she will be back in school.

A brief examination of Sikh religious dressing requirements is in order. They are required to adhere to what are called the five Ks. Kara (Wear an iron bangle), Kesh (uncut hair), Kaccha (underwear), kangi (wooden comb), and kripan (knife displayed at the waist).

Sarika has displayed the kara, her hair (kesh) is presumably uncut, we don´t know but again assume that she is wearing underwears (kaccha). The wooden comb (kangi) is supposed to be stuck in the hair, that she presumably is not doing. As of now she is not wearing the kripan (knife).

What if she decides to stick the wooden comb at the back of her hair? And the knife? Will the esteemed court allow these also?

The knife (kripan) had posed a serious problem in India in the late seventies when the Sikhs had become highly militant. They often carried a two foot long sword at their waist and walked around. Today, it is obvious that even a small knife will not pass muster at an airlines security counter. Obviously even if they do usually wear one they take it off and put it in their checked in baggage. They put away their religion during their air ride.

Similarly Sarika can wear the kara outside school, and take it off when she enters school. But there are wider questions of whether the school allows students to display crucifixes etc.

Fortunately the kara Sarika is wearing is a thin one. More robust karas can be brought up to the fist and used to hit persons like a knuckle duster, also in a socially more benign form it can be used as a bottle opener. In the meantime the Sikhs can do a bhangra (wild energetic dance) to celebrate yet another victory.

Well, as far as sacred Kara and bottle opening is concerned the writer of the article is very much right. Kara due to our stupid Punjabi youth has been effectively used for opening bottles, like school kids opening bottles of soft drinks and college guys opening bottles of beer and trying to act cool. Kara (and mobile phone, nokia 3310 or 3315) has also been used as handy weapons to hit ppl in head in minor brawls, my friends used them to pretty good effect and did rip open a few heads.

But as far as this article, as a whole is concerned i can see where it is coming from. Maybe the Brahmin writer couldn't comprehend another sikh victory in western courts on religious grounds whereas the hindu plea to save the cow 'Shambo' fell on deaf ear and the hindu 'mother' was slaughtered.

So thumbs up to Sarika and entire panth as it might well set a precedent in U.K. Oh, and Atul Chatterjee can bang his head in the wall a few times if it helps him. Afterall, his intolerent and jealous Brahmin personality is failing to come to terms with the Sikh victory.

This has got to be the most trashiest journalism I've seen. I believe we should take upon ourselves as an initiative to e-mail the author (Atul Chatterjee) and teach him the real spiritual, practical, and symbolisitc aspects of our kakkars.

I decided to read some other articles written by the same author and he has the same style of writing. He constantly goes astray and manages to get derailed off topic. For some reason, he loves to mention irrelevant history in his articles (just read the one on Hindi language in Nepal...2/3 of the article is focused more on the history of Hindi being declared official language in India than current situation in Nepal). His articles reflect the typical brahmin agenda...Hindi, Hindu, Hindustan.

I'll be giving Mr. Chatterjee a piece of my mind and let him know that my kara is more than a mere bottle opener.

i think the guy is reasonable .. she is not following all the 5 kakkars.. why aint she wearing the kirpan ???

i think the guys reasoning is fine ..

and the article has alot more .. than just bottle opener thing !!

and dont be so mad.. abt the bottle opener thing ,. we dont expect a bong to understand what kara is .. we all know what significance does kara hold..

ppl mailing him back..will just make him succeed in creating agitation amongst us..

we shud be indifferent ..