Inappropriate Vaja Tunes

Akaali

Vaaheguroo jee kaa khaalsaa,

Vaaheguroo jee kee fateh!

I know we should all strive to learn and do keertan in raag as per gurbaaNee, understand the raag/taal system, and go further to sing in tanti saaz (string instruments), but for many who sing on vaja and not in raag... Is there such a thing as 'inappropriate tunes' on vaja when one is doing keertan? For example, using tunes of famous hindi songs that are very popular among the mass? I understand that some music directors in the past may have taken these 'tunes' of some keertanees and used them for songs, but should the "ragees" or keertanees be taking tunes out of hindi songs for a shabad? Does that constitute as an 'inappropriate tune' for a shabad? I was talking to a singh and he said that tune is inappropriate and may create unwanted thoughts in the mind of sangat? I wanted to get some opinions on the topic..

Vaaheguroo jee kaa khaalsaa,

Vaaheguroo jee kee fateh!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proffesional Ragi Kirtani's copying bollywood style tunes is no different from AKJ Kirtani's copying bhangra/panjabi folk style tunes.

I see the good and bad side of it, but there needs to be more of Raag Keertan in my opinion.

I honestly dont think it matters as much, as long as you join with maharaj and bani but at the same time raag kirtan needs to be upheld and not forgotten.

Many of the raags which are asssociated to shabadds in Gurbani where played in brothels at teh tiems of the Guru's, the majority of the rrags can be found in Indian classical music. TO say AKJ does thsi or that is just stupid.....most kirtan that peopel listen to is not in raag wether its AKJ, Taksal , sant baba's or commercial kirtanees..... don't get caught up in the tune absorb the shabad and then become it .

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

When did anyone mention AKJ? It’s funny that when inappropriate tunes are mentioned you automatically assume that it’s about AKJ. What’s more is rather than say it might be wrong or changes can be implemented you seem to justify it by saying everyone else does it.

Anyways I think it’s interesting that so many people can recognise ‘filmy’ tunes in the first place.

Proffesional Ragi Kirtani's copying bollywood style tunes is no different from AKJ Kirtani's copying bhangra/panjabi folk style tunes.

I see the good and bad side of it, but there needs to be more of Raag Keertan in my opinion.

I honestly dont think it matters as much, as long as you join with maharaj and bani but at the same time raag kirtan needs to be upheld and not forgotten.

Please actually read teh posts before castign judgement

Thank you for reminding me to read posts before casting ‘judgement’. The first part of my post was not meant for you but for CaptainQ. I appreciate that it was poorly worded and have therefore presented my judgment in a more appropriate format.

CaptainQ: When did anyone mention AKJ? It’s funny that when inappropriate tunes are mentioned you automatically assume that it’s about AKJ.

Tarunjeet Singh: (The what’s more implied the first bit was aimed at you and I’m very sorry for that) Rather than say it might be wrong or changes can be implemented you seem to justify it by saying everyone else does it.

Everyone: I think it’s interesting that so many people can recognise ‘filmy’ tunes in the first place.