25th Anniversary Of 1984

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr jagtar singh khalsa, i dont know if u were present or not at the meeting a few weeks back in Birmingham? But at that meeting Dal Khalsa Uk, Council of Khalistan and other organisations agreed to pledge full backing and were in favour of The event being held at Trafalguar square.

I was present at that meeting myself...so when you say that "other members of FSO have not made a decision yet", i am completely baffled.

Members of the FSO paid money to get trafalguar square booked ....

I think the members of FSO paying money...running into the thousands of pounds would be a clear indication to Sikh fedearation that other members of the FSO are obviously in support of freedom rally being held in traf square.

There is no confusion, it is clear.

ALL members of FSO are united and are in support.

Forgive my bluntness, but i found that statement about rest of FSO not being in support a mystery, since FSO members paid money also to get it booked. I can account for at least 1 other FSO member organisation paying thousands of pounds towards the cause just a few weeks ago at the meeting at which it was decided.

I do not want this to turn into an ego war, but please remember that this event is not Sikh federation alone. Without support of all sikh groups, this event will be a failure.

Please recognize the collective contribution of all sikh organisations who are involved.

- We are planning to pay a tribute to Sikh Shaheeds at the Cenotaph in Whitehall

- we are looking to offer a live internet stream of the event

- film it and make it available on DVD free

- invite local MEPs Foriegn secretary

- Bring down Borris Johnson

- Organise the stage at Hyde park

- Give Jagowalle stage

- Also going to try to get the Jathedhar of Akal Thakt to come if possible

- Carry out extensive langhar activities

- Arrange Speaker system, sounds for main stage program ect

- Prepare official 25th anniversary 1984 rally video to advertise event

- Arrange and carry out extensive langhar sewa duties

- Preparing various literature to be handed out, specifically designed for differnt groups, e.g. sikh youth , non-sikhs, police

- Making free informative dvds to educate non-sikhs of why we remember 1984

- In the process of organising various awareness programmes within Gurdwareh

- Targetting sikh and non-sikh youth to attend also

-We Also have a SUPRISE planned. All shall be seen in trafalguar square. It will be something big.

I cannot comment on this anymore. Those who attend will bear witntess. But i promise you its gonna be big.

These are just a few of the things we're planning to do that i can think of from the top of my head. Many many more...

Its not only a Sikh federation effort, but its a combined FSO effort. We are all united for the cause and are planning many programs ourselves in the build up to the rally.

Together, Lets make this 25th anniversary a great event.

man thats \ lot of events, are u sure people wont get burned out/bored?

U dont want to lose momentum

I do feel that flag burning/swearing and showing HATRED will paint the whole thing in a bad light.

A dignified march with poise is what is needed.

We cant be shown to HATE Hindus or blame them for what teh Indian govt did, as this will make us look, like haters and we wont be taken seriously.

U NEED TO BE SMART, REASONABLE,SHOW LESS HATE, MORE DECORUM, MATURITY

Mr jagtar singh khalsa, i dont know if u were present or not at the meeting a few weeks back in Birmingham? But at that meeting Dal Khalsa Uk, Council of Khalistan and other organisations agreed to pledge full backing and were in favour of The event being held at Trafalguar square.

I was present at that meeting myself...so when you say that "other members of FSO have not made a decision yet", i am completely baffled.

I was not at the meeting, but feedback I received from the meeting suggests a final decision was not made on Trafalgar Square. I am sure some of the FSO members will be 100% behind Trafalgar Square and provide funds, but I do not think all have made a final decision. Send me your mobile number in an off-line message and I will speak to you to clarify matters. You also probably have my number.

I was at the FSO meeting before this in Birmingham and was tasked with others to:

i) produce options for the finish - three were mentioned as some were not convinced by the Trafalgar Square option

ii) a budget showing costs for the whole event (showing the additional costs of Trafalgar Square) - approximate figures were given based on the experience of previous years. At least one of the organisations stated they could only contribute £500 in total due to expenses elsewhere - the final decision on Trafalgar Square was deferred.

Following the last meeting I along with others have been asked to prepare the budget for the next meeting. If each FSO organisation committed to provide thousands of pounds for the 2009 rally/march that is great, presumably a budget was presented and approved and I received inaccurate information and need not take any action. But it would help knowing this as one of the FSO members only mentioned Hyde Park at the end of the event on 26 January outside the Indian High Commission. It may simply have been on oversight not to mention Trafalgar Square.

The Sikh Federation (UK) made the official booking of Trafalgar Square at the start of December 2008. We have made contact with those that provide the screens (main cost) - the costs are higher than in previous years.

We hope that the thousands of pounds committed by each FSO organisation at the last meeting have been paid to the FSO and will be forwarded to those incurring the costs.

thats good that things are being done, just try to make sure the logos of the organisation arnt the main things that are being advertised, the sangat that have been on the 84 scence since the last 20 years knows too much information now and these logos and jathedar faces dont really pull weight or anything. Apart from thats its nice to see that stuffs being done. ALso will be nice for the organisations to support the chaupai sahib jaap and promote it at your events.

Cheers

WJKK WJKF

It is good to see progress is being made.

FYI: The National Sikh Heritage Centre & Holocaust Museum will be hosting a series of exhibitions from May onwards titled 'The Final Sikh Holocaust'. We will be focusing on the 'Cause and Conscious' leading up to the June 84 and then specifically the Delhi killings titled 'The Final Sikh Massacre'.

Our aim is to educate and amplify in easy to understand, meaningful and modern way the 84 eposide. Many Sikhs actually dont have an understanding of what led upto June 84.

Benti to the organisers of the large events that they be precise and objective on what they are trying to achieve. Is it:

a. Remember the Shaheeds and sacrilidge to Sri Harminder Sahib and other historic Gurdwaraeh: raise awareness/ education

b. Protest against the injustice of the Sikhs by the Indian government -ie. human rights violations

c. Promote Khalistan

d. Select elements of all the above

Having a specific theme rather than a broad-brush agenda would really show the Panth and general Public that we are a unifed force to be reckoned with. It allows the Panth to use a common language/ terms to hit the media with. For example, the general public get a distorted view if a group of Singhs saying to the media they want Khalistan and another group of Singhs saying they want to remember the Shaheeds. Break the 84 experience into digestible chunks.

One other very important point, whilst education and awareness/ rememberance, etc are all necessary can the organisers ensure we have a hard legacy from the 25th anniversary. It is common for everyone to go to a large event, participate, go home and carry with normal life -what we need is a UNIQUE hard legacy that will show the world that Sikhs commemorated the 25th anniversary for eternity.

For example, out of the 300th Gurgaddi celebrations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji the first National Sikh Museum has born and endorsed by the UK Panth! Consequently, a Sikh Museum is now being setup in Amritsar !

Please let us know how we can assist.

Baul chuk maaf.

WJKK WJKF