Questions About Sikhi

'S'

WJKK WJKF

Hi,

I have these questions which are unanswered and when answered will help my understanding about Sikhi.

1. What do we, Sikhs, believe where the first people on earth ? E.g. Christianity has Adam and Eve.

2. How did God create the universe/ How long did it take ?

3. If we believe in reincarnation would that mean that our past lives were spent as animals ? Also what does it take to end the cycle and what is at the end of the cycle ?

If these questions are answered I would be very grateful. Thanks.

WJKK WJKF :nishaan_sahib_right:

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹ ਜੀ.

very good questions

1 - as Sikhs we know that the first humans or "homo sapiens sapiens" were those creatures who adapted from the single celled microbes with the guidance of Waheguru. they evolved into apes, and then with the care and help of Waheguru grew into the pre - humans or homo sapiens, and then into what we are today, homo sapiens sapiens. we do not revere the idea that Waheguru created two humans from dirt at the same time as everything else, but instead at his chosen time created us over time, and gave us our current form/saroop which under the guidance of Waheguru may again evolve in the future.

2 - we know that for many ages Waheguru sat in meditation, there was nothing except him, no universe, and no Maya. then when he felt that it was the time for another universe, Waheguru emitted a vibration which created the universe from a single particle into what it is today; an expanding mass. scientist confirm this with their theories of the big bang, and that one day the universe the universe will return to that one particle. our source for this is our Guru Granth Sahib ji, and now it is also confirmed by universities and scientists.

and finally

3 - we believe that to now be humans on this earth our souls have passed through all of the 8.4 billion life organisms below us in the cycle, and we rise through the cycle by following the path ordained by Waheguru, and given to us in the form of our Guru. when we have reached the stage of human, we are fully capable of reaching the highest level in the cycle which is sach khand, where we become one with ourselves, one with the universe, and one with Waheguru. we do not believe that when you die you lie in a grave waiting till a "judgement day", but instead that while we are alive we can achieve this state of Nirvana. when you die if you have failed to conform to the Guru's path, then Dharm Raj the angel of death will decide upon your fate, making you live as a human again, or being sent to one of the other life forms, or even to become a stone or rock where we will contemplate our wrong doings. but if you do as the Gurus and the Shaheeds have done, you will become part of God, your soul will be re-immersed into Waheguru once more.

please correct any mistakes sangat Ji

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹ ਜੀ.

very good questions

1 - as Sikhs we know that the first humans or "homo sapiens sapiens" were those creatures who adapted from the single celled microbes with the guidance of Waheguru. they evolved into apes, and then with the care and help of Waheguru grew into the pre - humans or homo sapiens, and then into what we are today, homo sapiens sapiens. we do not revere the idea that Waheguru created two humans from dirt at the same time as everything else, but instead at his chosen time created us over time, and gave us our current form/saroop which under the guidance of Waheguru may again evolve in the future.

2 - we know that for many ages Waheguru sat in meditation, there was nothing except him, no universe, and no Maya. then when he felt that it was the time for another universe, Waheguru emitted a vibration which created the universe from a single particle into what it is today; an expanding mass. scientist confirm this with their theories of the big bang, and that one day the universe the universe will return to that one particle. our source for this is our Guru Granth Sahib ji, and now it is also confirmed by universities and scientists.

and finally

3 - we believe that to now be humans on this earth our souls have passed through all of the 8.4 billion life organisms below us in the cycle, and we rise through the cycle by following the path ordained by Waheguru, and given to us in the form of our Guru. when we have reached the stage of human, we are fully capable of reaching the highest level in the cycle which is sach khand, where we become one with ourselves, one with the universe, and one with Waheguru. we do not believe that when you die you lie in a grave waiting till a "judgement day", but instead that while we are alive we can achieve this state of Nirvana. when you die if you have failed to conform to the Guru's path, then Dharm Raj the angel of death will decide upon your fate, making you live as a human again, or being sent to one of the other life forms, or even to become a stone or rock where we will contemplate our wrong doings. but if you do as the Gurus and the Shaheeds have done, you will become part of God, your soul will be re-immersed into Waheguru once more.

please correct any mistakes sangat Ji

Thanks !! That's cleared it all up :) ))))

Jeeo,

Please consider reading 'Sikh Religion and Science'

I believe the Creation of the Universe, ALL of the so-called random events that perfectly positioned earth, formed its oceans, created the moon, cataclysmic events etc. are merely the most parsimonious events to have occurred in this singular path since inception of Creation... Parsimony unfortunately is difficult to describe unless giving of phylogenetic lectures

Basically, for Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, each path is possible, but obviously, since we are here only 1 most parsimonious path has occurred. Any other path including extinction et.c in this universe obviously did not occur, we can trace this path backward into time all the way to the beginning, and it makes sense that we can also trace this path forward

It is like the painting we see, the artists mind within remains all the brush strokes that created the image upon the canvas, and as the painter exists separate of the painting

Who am i to answer them questions if i am still under the influence of the panj chors?

Guru ji will tell you everything you need to know, please take your time to read the translations of SGGS.

That is GOD telling you how to get to him :p if you follow it u will realise him.

WJKK WJKF

Hi,

I have these questions which are unanswered and when answered will help my understanding about Sikhi.

1. What do we, Sikhs, believe where the first people on earth ? E.g. Christianity has Adam and Eve.

2. How did God create the universe/ How long did it take ?

3. If we believe in reincarnation would that mean that our past lives were spent as animals ? Also what does it take to end the cycle and what is at the end of the cycle ?

If these questions are answered I would be very grateful. Thanks.

WJKK WJKF :nishaan_sahib_right:

1 - as Sikhs we know that the first humans or "homo sapiens sapiens" were those creatures who adapted from the single celled microbes with the guidance of Waheguru. they evolved into apes, and then with the care and help of Waheguru grew into the pre - humans or homo sapiens, and then into what we are today, homo sapiens sapiens. we do not revere the idea that Waheguru created two humans from dirt at the same time as everything else, but instead at his chosen time created us over time, and gave us our current form/saroop which under the guidance of Waheguru may again evolve in the future.1 - as Sikhs we know that the first humans or "homo sapiens sapiens" were those creatures who adapted from the single celled microbes with the guidance of Waheguru. they evolved into apes, and then with the care and help of Waheguru grew into the pre - humans or homo sapiens, and then into what we are today, homo sapiens sapiens. we do not revere the idea that Waheguru created two humans from dirt at the same time as everything else, but instead at his chosen time created us over time, and gave us our current form/saroop which under the guidance of Waheguru may again evolve in the future.
Good answer.

2. Guru Nanak taught that the creator and creation are inseparable in the way that an ocean is made up of its individual drops.

Christianity says that God created the earth in seven days about 6,000 year ago. Guru Nanak has said that God’s creation consisted of a multitude of universes, and that no one knew for certain how, or when, creation took place.

Guru Granth Sahib Ji explains that there was nothing present and then God created everything. "For endless ages, there was only utter darkness. There was no earth or sky; there was only His command. There was no day or night, no moon or sun; God sat in primal, profound meditation position. There were no food or sources of speech, no air or water. There was no creation or destruction, no birth or death. There were no continents, regions, seven seas, rivers or flowing water. There were no heavenly realms, earth or nether regions of the underworld. There was no heaven or hell, no death or time ... When He so willed, He created the world. Without any supporting power, He sustained the universe ... He created the creation, and watches over it; His Command is over all. He formed the planets, solar systems and nether regions, and brought what was hidden to manifestation. No one knows His limits. This understanding comes from the Perfect Guru. O Nanak, those who are attuned to the Truth are wonderstruck; singing His Glorious Praises, they are filled with wonder." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 1035)

3. Our past lives were not necessarily spent as animals. If you are a good human being and done good acts (charity etc), but not remembered god, you will not be punished as much as (aka going into animal cycle), than for example being a criminal and killing people.

To end the cycle, you have to follow the path of the Guru. Means naam, daan, ishnaan and amrit daan (rehits/kurehits).

At the end of the cycle, if you have followed the right path, you will go to one of the Khands. There are 5 Khands and they are explained by Guru Nanak in Japji Sahib.

1. Dharam Khand (the realm of righteous action) (pauri 35)

2. Gian Khand (the realm of knowledge) (pauri 36)

3. Saram Khand (the realm of spiritual endeavour) (pauri 36)

4. Karam Khand (the realm of grace) (pauri 37)

5. Sach Khand (the realm of Truth) (pauri 37)

Sach Khand is the highest one and most difficult to obtain.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

• 3 weeks later...

As far as reincarnation is concerned - I have an answer. But before I put that I want to say that , the above answers are 'very' good and true to the Sikh principles. I thank the writers of these answers for teaching a lot.

I have written the answer in the form of a post on my blog so I wouldn't be liking it to type it here again. So you can follow the link - Sikh theory of Reincarnation.

Fateh Ji,

Please view this link:

http://www.realsikhism.com/science.html

Sikhism does believe in reincarnation.

Guru Rakha

I found this interesting site http://www.scienceinsikhism.org/ .

I dont feel that 8.4 billion is used as an exact number in gurbani. The older traditions had put this exact number in their beliefs that is all.

In Gurbani, I feel, its any number (not a fixed number) . If you refer to the older traditions, they had also put an exact number in their reincarnation theory. This is also not so in Gurbani.