Jakara

S1ngh

Yesterday.. Me and my other friend in gurdwara were talking about sikh student organization and we talked every major issue and common problems of every ssa all over california.. Jakara thingy is one of the thing that kinda puzzled me.. I know jakara is new organization taken care by SSA of Fresno State Univ. and since last year they are kinda going off road.. Last year they had some punjabi girl as the guestspeaker who is the anchor of cnn news in Canada.. Nothing bad.. I sent few emails saying.. why not have some cool singh/kaur who faced difficult times in United States or canada or UK to be what they are now.. FOr example a sardar Football player of Oregon state or a Sikh Colonel from YUBA CITY.. stuff like that.. Okay that's cool.. i have no problem with that..

Now this year they are having late night party, DJ's are coming and they will be earning 10 or 15grand for a night .. This year the guest speaker gonna be a DJ Tigerstyle.. thats cool, i know they have cool albums etc.. there is nothing wrong in them but how that gonna effect the sikh students.. Like in education how that gonna effect after all it's SSA three day camp.. What i will be getting out of that speaker Perhaps "How to play Dhol" etc.. DUH.. that's stupid.. We got to think outside of that.. I didn't send them email cauz i know it will be no use.. But anyway, im not fighting with them, but i wanna let them know our or my views without them jumping and calling me/us as fundamentalist and they will call us that.

They started good but they ENDED IN CHOOSING the choice TO PLEASE THE AUDIENCE cauz they collect 150 bucks per person..

TO my SSA Organizer brothers and sisters -

There should be No bhangra crap in any SSA.. no matter what.. Cauz The first word of SSA starts with SIKH and bhangra doesn't fit under sikhi teachings far away is drinking and late nite parties.. Keep it simple !

Bhull Chak keh maaf karna..

Their forum : http://www.jakara.org/mvnforum/mvnforum/li...threads?forum=1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Vicky i was just sending you a lengthy PM and i accidently closed the window lol. Just wanted to point out a few things.

the $150 is to cover the cost of food and hotel rooms

if your not staying in the hotel registration is something like $40

I don't think the guest speaker/DJ's are going to earn anywear near $10,000 I'm not sure how you figured this out. Most likely they're room and transportion costs will be paid for and maybe a small sum in appreciation for there time and words

the theme for this year is 1984 so i think the guest speakers would be concentrating on there music and how it relates to 1984-present rather than how to mix or play dhol

as for the link you gave - the jakara discussion forum is part of the gtroadradio.com discussion (like saintsoldiers forum is part of sikhsangat forum)

so i think someone just posted in the wrong place

because mitch was interviewed on the gtradio show and was never a keynote speaker at jakara

on the other hand, you had some good points regarding guest speakers

they probably could have found better choices for guest speakers in the past as well as this year but this isn't an easy thing to do

sometimes its hard to get a hold of people and a lot of times people are really busy and commited to other things so they can't make time for these events

i think tigerstyle is appropriate for this event since the theme is 1984

as for bhangra, i agree SSA should concentrate more on sikhi and leave bhangra to indian/cultural clubs. Discussion and group activities go on through out the day

and the evening activities are a chance for everyone to have fun and get to know each other better. There's no alcohol at any of the jakara events, atleast there isn't supposed to be.

I don't enourage or agree with the late night activities but I can see why they are on the discussion.

There usually isn't much Sikh Youth in attendance at religious learning programs/activities/conferences. I was at a conference at SJSU a few years back and there was a lot of empty seats. The conference was great, there just wasn't much youth there. Jakara is not all fun and games. It allows people from different backgrounds, some that might not have an experience with Sikhi whatsoever, to come together and learn more about there religion and culture and have fun at the same time.

When i was there they had a special discussion group for SSA members or anyone who was interested in being part of an SSA. This was a chance for everyone to discuss what they liked about their SSA and their programs and what they didn't like and what can be changes could be made.

Awesome reply veerjee.. i did learned many things out of it.. I did wanna visit this time but hearing the dj and party word really put me off... I will send u pm later today evening :)

Also veerjee.. It's not hard to pick awesome speakers for the youth events..

Within seconds i can write down at least 5 or 6 amazing *gursikhs* guest speakers..

Besides jakara, I do know that most of the SSA here in california do after night parties for almost every programs and that envolves Alcohol and all that happen under the banner of SSA. (i will not point any ssa name :wub: ) Veerjee.. i have friend who organize parties and he do told me that dj normally can earn at least 6 or 7 grand from one big event.. But watever it is.. i think Jakara should set good example by having simple plain event with no punjabi culture crap in it... so that all SSA's underneath the jakara umbrella organization can follow it.. I see jakara as BOSS of UK.. and im pretty much sure that BOSS don't hold DJ parties on any of their events..

But anyway.. I wish all em good lucks in future and i hope to see ssa keeping distance from Punjabi culture..

Amardeep Singh - Great reply

Singh, its fairly obvious you don't have much information on Jakara :wub: . Thats ok, generally speaking most individuals against it don't.

first things first - jakara.org

Go there and read it in detail.

You'll realize that - the cost is now $110 (i believe it was 90 when it started and then 100 the years after that). In that $110 you get three nights stay at a hotel, all meals paid for except one, rides to and from airports if need and of course all the events.

Second, as you'll see posted on the Jakara/gt road radio forum (in reply to your post(s)) there, there have been several other keynote speakers that are good speakers as per your standards. Last year it was NOT Monita Rajpal, but was Pardeep Singh Nagra - a Canadian boxer who did face many struggles...you may read up on him yourself to see what it is that he's accomplished.

They are not making money on this. At all. As for the speakers, as mentioned by Amardeep, Tigerstyles is/has put out a album as a tribute to 1984, they infact have worked with BOSS (which is an organization you seem to admire).

Furthermore, in terms of Jakara and its staff. Come attend Jakara, see what its about, its improving every year...if after that you have suggestions, suggest it to the staff, they are more than open to it. Your points would be given more credit and validity if you had in fact experience the conference (not camp) and then suggested your changes.

I do have a question for you d

o you feel as though there are in the wrong for having the lazer tag, picnic and bowling available? Are those prohibited as well as the dancing, or just the dancing?

In terms of the dancing it is a talent show, and it isn't just a party covered by a talent show...ppl do present their talent and its awesome.

Once again. Come attend...see waht its about .... and then give your criticism, but still i'm sure the staff will take your opinion into consideration =)

Oyee.. paheenaay back up a lil bit tongue.gif .. meray pichaay hee paeh gaye.. rolleyes.gif

I do have a question for you do you feel as though there are in the wrong for having the lazer tag, picnic and bowling available? Are those prohibited as well as the dancing, or just the dancing?

First pls don't try to label me as tablanist aight.. Btw.. i do love punjabi bhangra... But that wasn't my main point.. i do listen to all those RDB's song BUT THERE's limit and there's Line between sikhi and all those crap.. Dancing is Not allowed in sikhi as it is stated in Guru granth sahib jee several times.. Anyway forget it.. it's my fault.. bhulla chak keh maff karna.. Anyway good luck of watever u guys are doing

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

We had a bhangra compitition sponsored by South Asian Club here in our univerisity few months ago. There were some people distributing flyers about Jaikara. I don't know what it is and how its gonna be. But I will try my best if i can go there and check it out.

About Bhangar in SSA, its a big NO! This was our first semester of SAA (Sikh Awareness Associaiton) in our university. Many people asked us if we can make a bhangra team, or if SAA can sponsor Bhangra, but we had one straight forwared answer, "NO", followed by the explanation. The officers of these SSA's need to take firm stand on this issue.

People won't learn a thing about Sikhi though coming to bhangra. Lets say i don't know anyting about sikhi and since I see a big banner of SSA, i go to see what Sikhi and Sikhs are, but i find no-thing there about Sikhi. It should be the duty of each and every SAA officer to avoid and STOP these activities. I fully agree with Vicky Singh with his concern about bhanga in SAAs.

bhul chuk di khima....

sikhs can definately enjoy bhangra and dancing. i've seen lots of girls with keskis and also sardars that dance even at a gursikhs wedding. dancing should not be discouraged because its better than just sitting there, makes u feel happy and confident, and its good for ur health. bhangra is especially good because its so easy for anybody to do and its just clean fun. all other fun things like laser tag could be argued as being false etc too but i think they're all good to do as long as its limited.

Vaheguroo jee kaa Khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee Fateh..

manoaa nachai bhagath dhriraeae ||

Channel your dancing mind in devotional worship.

nachiai ttapiai bhagath n hoe ||

By dancing and jumping, devotional worship is not performed.

maaeiaa kaaran pirr bandhh naachai dhoojai bhaae dhukh paavaniaa ||

For the sake of Maya, they set the stage and dance, but they are in love with duality, and they obtain only sorrow.

nach nach ttapehi bahuth dhukh paavehi ||

they dance and dance and jump all around, but they only suffer in terrible pain.

maaeiaa kai arathh bahuth lok naachae ko viralaa thath beechaaree ||

So many people dance for the sake of Maya; how rare are those who contemplate reality.

gurmukh nirath har laagai bhaao ||

The Gurmukh's dance is to embrace love for the Lord.

bho faeree hovai man cheeth ||

Let the fear of God within your heart and mind be your spinning dance.

Guroo Mahraaj has said it all...

Vaheguroo jee kaa Khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee Fateh..!

I LOVE YOUR REPLY BHAINJI......... :wub:

Just to stress even more, like s1ngh ji said, there shouldnt be any sort of non-religious, therefore culture involved in sikhi>>> and therefore in any of the sikh students associations of the universities. Should be strictly to show others who the sikhs r, and what they do? How do we identify one !?

We dont want gorai going around and saying ohh sikhs r jsut people who love to go clubbing, and having fun wit gals/guys and drink all nite ......... :)

Remember, we shouldnt be weak and start using events that please others ! We should be upright and have faith in what our gurus taught us, and show through preaching of bani, and through social gathering events of gursikhs, and show others wit examples ....... :)

bhul chuk maph!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I appreciate the concern, questions, and issues raised by other Sikh brothers and sisters about Jakara. This is how we grow as an organization and continue to make progress as an institution. I am one of the organizers of Jakara and would be more than pleased to listen to suggestions and answer any questions. If any of my responses on this forum do not satisfy, please feel free to email me privately at (deep@#). However the best way to have all your questions and concerns settled is to actually attend the conference. I hope to see you there!

Although many former attendees and supporters have answered most questions in depth, I did want to touch on a few questions raised about 'losing our mission.' We have "started good but they [us] ENDED IN CHOOSING the choice TO PLEASE THE AUDIENCE cauz they collect 150 bucks per person."

While I am more than willing to discuss any questions about finances, there are questions raised that are more concerning. In fact we do not even cover our costs through the registration. Jakara is heavily subsidized by the local Sangat and all appreciation must be extended to the Fresno Sangat for being supportive of the efforts of the local youth. In fact we lose money every year in the sense that our admission price does not cover our costs. If we ever generated ($10,000-$15,000) as claimed, we would not even charge admission for Jakara. We would keep it free for all, inclusive of all expenses. Unfortunately we have no such luxury. Again, if you have concerns about our finances, we are part of a non-profit organization and all our records and accounts are open fo

r the public.

Returning to the part about us 'losing our mission,' I beg to differ. If anything, I think we have better focused on our mission. I want to quote a section from our website as food for thought on the 'mission of Jakara'

Although we have undergone quite a lot of changes since Jakara 2000, five years later we still hold true to our original declaration. Jakara has evolved into an annual Sikh Conference where students, putting aside all divisions that fracture the community come together to share their experiences in a comfortable democratic atmosphere.

This conference is unique in that it is an attempt at a grassroots conference run exclusively by students addressing both our social and religious concerns so that we are closer to an understanding of ourselves as members of a Sikh community. It is also unique in that its focus is very different than other Sikh camps and conferences. Constructive criticism has helped us define our goals and intent. In the Panthic Reht Maryada, two operant levels are described – the individual and corporate responsibilities. A great number of institutions address the individual responsibilities with success. However, we felt that there has been a lack from organizations in addressing the corporate responsibilities. What are the corporate responsibilities of the Sikh Quam? We do not claim to have the answers, but are trying to provide a forum where these things can be discussed and entertained. I do not believe that the corporate responsibility is to have everyone keep their hair; this is people's individual responsibilities not the responsibility of the whole. The corporate responsibilities involve the pursuit of justice, liberty, freedom, fraternity, and equality (to only name a few). Jakare does not seek to enforce some type of personal puritanism, but rather focus on issues that deal with the Quam as a whole. We know the problems; it is now time to find the solutions. As the next generation of Sikhs

, we are the inheritors of the Sikh tradition and we will determine its future - Jakara is your chance to have your voice heard.

As the conversation turns to discuss the merits or demerits of dancing, I find this conversation particularly entertaining. Why are conversations in our community so degenerate?

While I agree with you that SSAs should stay away from bhangra competitions (unless they are highly organized, because with so little time and human resources -- time can be better utilized), this should in no mean that are Sikhs to refrain from 'cultural' activities. So many people use easy equations: Sikhi = good; Punjabiyat = bad. I feel for these people. They cannot enjoy the Waris Shah's Heer; they cannot feel Bulleh Shah's Kafian; they cannot understand the passion of Mirza; they cannot understand Bhai Gurdas and his love for the Guru; they cannot feel the dugga of the dhol and how it reverberates in your soul; they cannot understand their sisters as they sing their suhaags; they cannot understand the Earth; they cannot understand the soil; they cannot understand their land, because they have no culture. You do not have to be a Punjabi to be a Sikh. but if you are Sikh you must understand that they spilt their blood to fertilize the soil of Punjab. One time in a discussion, a person suggested that since the current predicament in India is so poor for the Sikhs and since the Akal Takht is under the control of the GOI, Sikhs should create a 6th Takht in Canada. All of us laughed. For those that have been blessed to visit Darbar Sahib and Kesgarh Sahib, then they too can describe their feelings and emotions there. To walk the same dharthi as our Sikh Gurus left me on my knees. That feeling could never be recreated in Canada.

Do not 'limit' your culture to mere dancing and drinking. That is not culture that is just degenerate, if that is the limit of your culture. Celebrate your culture, live your culture, and take pride in it. Not to the point

where you hate others, but where you can love what you have. I am Punjabi. I am a Sikh. I love my Gurus. I love my Punjabi zuban.

At Jakara we allow for cultural expression. We are not the Taliban. We do not allow alcohol or other intoxicants. All participants are of a responsible age (18+). Just as churches host youth socials, I believe that Sikhs must do the same if they are going to keep the youth attached to the Gurdwara. This does not surrender to any core beliefs, but only to make the Gurdwara relevant. I welcome your replies

Gur fateh,

deep