Caste n marriage...

I don’t think the taboo of marrying in the Pend has anything to do with caste. The reason marrying in the Pend is considered such a taboo is because your Pend’s girl is considered your Izzat, just as your own sister, and sister-in-law is considered to be. Marrying a girl from ones own pend is almost equated to incest. That is why people who get caught fooling around with a girl from ones own Pend are humiliated or beaten up very severely and in many instances even killed by the villagers.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Jo gursikh kee puchay jaatt ooh na mera sikh aad Jugaad!!

Caste is still in Society because those people that believe in caste have not given their heads fully to guru sahib and they wish to classify themselves by Panjabi traditionals enforced by British to rule and divide the Sikhs so they could control panjab...

What these panjabi's have forgotten is Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind's Singh Jis hukum...and for those people that are 'amritdhaari' to differentitate using caste is even more sad no.gif because they have obviously forgotten what the panj piyaray said to them once they became amritdhaari...that we are all equal as the Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Just wanted to comment on the marriage within a Pind debate

The reason why people don't marry someone from the same pind is due to a number of reasons

1. Most Pinds in Punjab were founded by a single family or a single person. One person usually a Jat although there were others such as Rajput, Lobana would move from his pind to found another pind. Usually this would be close by. The reason founding a new pind might be because the argicultural land might have been subdivided too much and is no longer economical ro farm. So one person would move to an uncultivated area near his parent village. At that time hundreds of years ago the villages and towns were small in number and there were many areas of uncultivated land around these villages. That person would then marry some girl from elsewhere and his descendents would live in the Pind. The daughters would be married off into other pinds and the sons would marry girls from other pinds and they would move to this pind. So basically all the people in the village would be descended from a single ancestor. As people founded new pinds near to their original pinds then that is way you get many pinds in Punjab with the same surnames next to each other. So marrying within the same Pind was tantamount to incest as the girl is related to the boy even though that relationship might go back many hundreds of years.

2. All people in a Pind are taught to respect the womenfolk as mothers or sisters. So aside from being related to the girl the boy will in fact be marrying someone who he has refereed to as 'bhainji' on numerous occasions.

<

br>3. It is also a long standing tradition that people from one pind would aviod marrying into the same surname as their own surname, their mother's surname and their grandparents surnames. Nowadays people only avoid their own surname.

GurFateh

Bikramjit Singh

Caste does matter if one is not into sikhi..

Believe me it does matter.. I do believe that things won't work out fine if there's inter-caste marriage if both do not follow sikhi closely, there's nothing about being superior or inferior it's just different lifestyle..

i was about to comment but Bikramjit singh stole the words right out of my mouth...in my pind we are told that we all came from two brothers who had settled in the pind and we all are related....people who have not gone to Punjab much may not understand this, but it is true.....but as people in Punjab are moving around more leaving Pinds for the city or to other Pinds for better land etc. this is changing...... But if one moves from a Pind of manns to another Pind of manns , they still will consider themselves related because mann's are thought to be all related....gill, dhillon, dhaliwal, sandhu, atwal same thing....I don't know how much of it is fact based and how much of it is just to keep the guys of the Pind in check from bothering the kuriyah...And i must admit it works because most people in a Pind will look after the girls of their Pind as their sisters....

according to gurmat you should NEVER and a normal person would NEVER think inappropriately about their sibling, parent, or child so that is why guru jee has said that we should consider all those who are not our spouse as if they are our sibling, parent, or child

but if two people who were born and raised in seperate lands, or a faraway land,

and they decide to be married according to gurmat,

and coincidentally the extended families are from the same pind,

who can say if that is right or wrong? it depends on the situation.

i mean we could say afterall that all humans descended from africa according to most theories

and therefore we have the same ancestors, therefore we are all one family

spiritually yes, ek pitha ekas kay hum baarak,

but physically too we all descended from one group of humans - it's possible and probable

maybe because we all have the same ancestors, none of us should ever get married? of course Gursikhs need to get married. If they so choose to do so, they may get married and the decisions around that should be made by Gursikhs - not by traditional people or modern people, just Gursikhs who work for jugo jug atal Guru (the immovable enlightener through all the ages).

On the other hand, nobody should say that if boys of the pind protect girls like their sisters, that is wrong - it cannot be called wrong.

if one pind believes that they are a family and the boys and girls in the same pind are brothers and sisters, then so be it -

brother and sister relationship is a sacred and un-breakable vow - it is not a joke, and if people in the pind really believe in this, then i can understand why other people have be

en beaten up for having relationships with other people in the same pind

it all depends on the individual situation, in my humble opinion

we should not quickly label what is right and wrong without stepping in peoples shoes

guru nanak dev ji was married at the age of 14

nowadays that is a social taboo, then it wasn't

guru nanak dev ji never lived with his parents after getting married

those days that was a social taboo, now it's not

in sociology we learn about cultural relativism and universality - i think we should all practice Gurmat Relatavism. Relate everything back to Gurmat. we must not accuse one culture of being wrong and another culture of being right in the worldly scheme - there is only one UTHAM CULTURE, one high path, and that is GURMAT

our guru sahibaan always sided with gurmat, which is the greatest wisdom in the universe

i think the whole pind issue is a a case-by-case decision

we shouldn't be quick, as Sikhs, to jump on every issue and call it right or wrong

everything is relative to the "vakhat" (timing) and the "haalaat" (circumstances)

some things we think are RIGHT at this time, might be wrong at another time

and some things we think are WRONG at this time, might be right at another time

what do we know... guru jee knows it all

there is no black and white in sikhi...

we can only get that "bibek budhee" after reflection and getting alll coloured up in gurbani

...naaraaein har rang rango :TH:

please forgive my mistakes

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!