More Problems For Canadian Sikhs

N30S1NGH

Ok looks like city of surrey had two issues with parade.

1. Inderjit singh bains getting on radio spewing what it seems like threat against canadian punjabi mps.

2. Organizers lied to mayor and assured her there won't be political freedom fighters pictures on float. But there were pictures thats when mayor walked off.

They are saying now, next year surrey vaishaki parade may not get permit from the city.

One possible solution is renting huge playground, where nagar kirtan can be held or do what organizers did back in 2009 - have no pictures of shaheeds but set up an tent in the gurdwara premises where all puratan and modern shaheeds pictures are put up and satkar is given- its win and win situation.

Sikhs have to remember, they are not the only group, there are other viewpoints as well mayor of surrey have to consider and accommodate them too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surrey mayor will kill her political future for sure if she tried to disrupt annual nagar kirtan. Our freedom fighters of 80's were not political freedom fighters but were social/religious freedom fighter. No invitation should be given to any political figure.

They said permission might not be granted to dashmesh group but another group will get it. Its all politics. There is One Lak attenders. Maybe Dosanjh & Group would now want control of parade and strenghten their politicle careers.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Last+minute+controversies+spoiled+Vaisakhi+again/2922770/story.html

S!ngh, sorry off course they were socio/religious freedom fighters. I mention poltical freedom fighters because thats sit well with the media.

They said permission might not be granted to dashmesh group but another group will get it. Its all politics. There is One Lak attenders. Maybe Dosanjh & Group would now want control of parade and strenghten their politicle careers.

http://www.vancouver...2770/story.html

Well that what it seems like, we will see what happens next year. On that note, i m curious to know - what exactly Sikh youth slate commitee thinks or did about this suitation in BC? Do they have press-statement?

I must admit, despite of one of other youth organizers at dashmesh darbar downplaying the whole threat by bains incident, he didn't do good job explaining concept of potraits/float of shaheeds, got on defensive side with reporters, if you listen to that 7 minute clip, at the end he even contradicted himself which radio host pointed out.

I wouldn't be too over confident singh. Think about it- If she stick to her words - refuse the premit next year instead of benting rules for political gain, yes she may loose sikh votes but she will gain crediblity in media. Therefore, more votes from goreh's in surrey. Don't assume - we are only ones in surrey. Surrey is huge and have other groups and people.

Media is powerful tool. I am sure if she stick to her words. Media will make her woman of principle, an woman standing for whats right(in their mind because lack of knowledge of portraits) despite of political pressure or loss in sikh votes.

So this over confidence that it will be political sucide might just back fire as we like to assume things too much.

Someone mention on cbc forum, it was gorrah. He said she may not be able to refuse premit because that will infringe the rights under section 15 or 23 i beleive of charter of rights, freedom of expression. Now thats the approach we should be taking. I know nagar kirtan next year is long way to go but we should might as well be prepare to get all the lawyers and see if we have a case if mayor decide to refuse an permit.

If they refuse to give a permit next year it will be political suicide for whichever party is in power in BC and for the mayor. SO in short it wont happen lol.

This is the type of mentality which has corrupted many Gurdwaras and many Sikhs live and call this mentality Sikhi.

I'm truly disgusted by this, Sikhs are willing to drop their high morals just to play political games. Instead of getting sucked into these games. Sikh should be exposing these games through the media and just sticking to the Truth.

Everyone yells the leaders are corrupt, but just wait till this new youth that want the power of Gurdwara get it. It'll be the same mentality, with egos battling egos.