Were Guru Nanak Dev Ji God Himself ?

Guest SarabjeetSingh

Guest SarabjeetSingh

I usually see some people quote this from Gurbani when they say that Guru Nanak Dev ji is God in human form :

ਆਪਿ ਨਰਾਇਣੁ ਕਲਾ ਧਾਰਿ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਪਰਵਰਿਯਉ

आपि नराइणु कला धारि जग महि परवरियउ ॥

Āp narā▫iṇ kalā ḏẖār jag mėh parvari▫ya▫o.

The Lord Himself wielded His Power and entered the world.

<a class="dict" href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=%E0%A8%A8%E0%A8%BF%E0%A8%B0%E0%A9%B0%E0%A8%95%E0%A8%BE%E0%A8%B0%E0%A8%BF" ;="" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(128, 0, 0); ">ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰਿ ਆਕਾਰੁ ਜੋਤਿ ਜਗ ਮੰਡਲਿ ਕਰਿਯਉ

निरंकारि आकारु जोति जग मंडलि करियउ ॥

Nirankār ākār joṯ jag mandal kari▫ya▫o.

The Formless Lord took form, and with His Light He illuminated the realms of the world.

But I think it is nowhere mentioned in this that Guru Nanak Dev ji is God .

Maybe this pangti just refers to God's power in nature .

share your views ..

I usually see some people quote this from Gurbani when they say that Guru Nanak Dev ji is God in human form :

<a class="dict" href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=%E0%A8%A8%E0%A8%BF%E0%A8%B0%E0%A9%B0%E0%A8%95%E0%A8%BE%E0%A8%B0%E0%A8%BF" ;="" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(128, 0, 0); ">ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰਿ ਆਕਾਰੁ ਜੋਤਿ ਜਗ ਮੰਡਲਿ ਕਰਿਯਉ

The Formless Lord took form, and with His Light He illuminated the realms of the world.

share your views ..

Nature is in God. This universe is in God, so right from the begin God was already in this world and had put his power in nature. When Gurbani say like in the above the Lord took form that means he took up one entity. The light in the above is being refered to has Gurmat. Look up other shabads, it directly says Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj is the one Lord.

Go to the third line of the shabad. To say Guru Sahib is refering to nature here would not make sense because why does the shabad need to be lit when God is already in the universe from the beginning of this universe, Shabad does not come or go, it's constant. The line even starts off by establishing God is everywhere, so it's not refering to nature. The lamp of the Shabad is when God took the form as Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj and taught us Gurmat. Without this lamp(Gurmat), we humans can't see God, even though he is everywhere.

jh kh qh BrpUru sbdu dIpik dIpwXau ]

jeh keh theh bharapoor sabadh dheepak dheepaayo ||

He is All-pervading everywhere; the Lamp of the Shabad, the Word, has been lit.

Here is the whole shabad.

This Shabad is by Bhatt Keerath in Svaiyay Mehl 5 on Pannaa 1395

Awip nrwiexu klw Dwir jg mih prvirXau ]

aap naraaein kalaa dhhaar jag mehi paravariyo ||

inrMkwir Awkwru joiq jg mMfil kirXau ]

nira(n)kaar aakaar joth jag ma(n)ddal kariyo ||

ijh isKh sMgRihE qqu hir crx imlwXau ]

jih sikheh sa(n)grehiou thath har charan milaayo ||

Whoever gathers in the essence of the teachings shall be absorbed in the Feet of the Lord.

nwnk kuil inMmlu Avqir´au AMgd lhxy sMig huA ]

naanak kul ni(n)mal avathariyo a(n)gadh lehanae sa(n)g hua ||

Lehnaa, who became Guru Angad, and Guru Amar Daas, have been reincarnated into the pure house of Guru Nanak.

gur Amrdws qwrx qrx jnm jnm pw srix quA ]2]16]

gur amaradhaas thaaran tharan janam janam paa saran thua ||2||16||

Guru Amar Daas is our Saving Grace, who carries us across; in lifetime after lifetime, I seek the Sanctuary of Your Feet. ||2||16||

Nature is in God. This universe is in God, so right from the begin God was already in this world and had put his power in nature. When Gurbani say like in the above the Lord took form that means he took up one entity. The light in the above is being refered to has Gurmat. Look up other shabads, it directly says Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj is the one Lord.

Go to the third line of the shabad. To say Guru Sahib is refering to nature here would not make sense because why does the shabad need to be lit when God is already in the universe from the beginning of this universe, Shabad does not come or go, it's constant. The line even starts off by establishing God is everywhere, so it's not refering to nature. The lamp of the Shabad is when God took the form as Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj and taught us Gurmat. Without this lamp(Gurmat), we humans can't see God, even though he is everywhere.

Here is the whole shabad.

This Shabad is by Bhatt Keerath in Svaiyay Mehl 5 on Pannaa 1395

Awip nrwiexu klw Dwir jg mih prvirXau ]

aap naraaein kalaa dhhaar jag mehi paravariyo ||

inrMkwir Awkwru joiq jg mMfil kirXau ]

nira(n)kaar aakaar joth jag ma(n)ddal kariyo ||

ijh isKh sMgRihE qqu hir crx imlwXau ]

jih sikheh sa(n)grehiou thath har charan milaayo ||

Whoever gathers in the essence of the teachings shall be absorbed in the Feet of the Lord.

nwnk kuil inMmlu Avqir´au AMgd lhxy sMig huA ]

naanak kul ni(n)mal avathariyo a(n)gadh lehanae sa(n)g hua ||

Lehnaa, who became Guru Angad, and Guru Amar Daas, have been reincarnated into the pure house of Guru Nanak.

gur Amrdws qwrx qrx jnm jnm pw srix quA ]2]16]

gur amaradhaas thaaran tharan janam janam paa saran thua ||2||16||

Guru Amar Daas is our Saving Grace, who carries us across; in lifetime after lifetime, I seek the Sanctuary of Your Feet. ||2||16||

Waheguru.

I agree that he is not, but over time religious figures are turned into incarnations of God....its just bound to happen. I know I am gonna get slammed for saying it, but I think if Guru Nanak heard people saying he was God he would not be happy...

If Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji is not happy being called God then why did he in his fifth form Say Nanak is the Guru, Nanak is the Lord himself? We have Gurbani telling us he is Sri Waheguru ji. This has nothing to do with verbal statements made that changed over time. Thats something you made up in your mind to support your way of thinking

Did Nanak say that he was God? Did he ever say, I am God?

gur goivMdu guoivMdu gurU hY nwnk Bydu n BweI ]4]1]8]

gur govi(n)dh guovi(n)dh guroo hai naanak bhaedh n bhaaee ||4||1||8||

The Guru is God, and God is the Guru, O Nanak; there is no difference between the two, O Siblings of Destiny. ||4||1||8||

Eqn 1: Guru Nanak Dev Ji = Guru

Shabad above gives us the equation 2: Guru = God

b/c Guru Nanak Dev Ji = Guru, Substitute into the second equation and you get

Guru Nanak Dev Ji = God

It's simple math paaji.

Did Nanak say that he was God? Did he ever say, I am God?

GURU Nanak Dev Ji, or Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji, or Guru Nanak Dev Patshah Ji, or Guru Sahib. We must speak with respect.

share your views ..

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj is Waheguru. There is no difference. They are one in the same.

Raag Gond M:5 (last shabad on Ang 864), Guru Sahib clearly says the "Gur Nanak Nanak Hai Soi". Guru Nanak is my Guru. Guru Nanak is Waheguru himself.

Other quotes "Paarbraham Gur Naahi Bhed". "Gur Paramesar Eko Jaan".

If we say that a pooran brahm giani sant (eg. Sant Baba Nand Singh Ji Maharaaj, Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji Maharaaj, Sant Baba Attar Singh Ji Maharaaj, Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Maharaaj, Sant Baba Karam Singh Ji Maharraj etc) and Waheguru is one in the same (according to Gurbani), then why not the pooran Satguru?

Baani is the Guru and Baani is Nirankaar.

Sant Baba Nand Singh Ji Maharraj used to say: For those people who say "God is everywhere, in everyone etc", if you do not yet see your own Satguru (Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj) as God, then believe that any sort of spiritual development is very far away.