Sign in to follow this  
geo

Destiny Written On Forehead

i have heard that a persons destiny is written on their forehead, is this true according to sikhism or have i been told something incorrectly?

This cuts both ways. In traditional Indian culture and verbal communication(language), the matha or forehead is symbolic(rather than literal) of a curse or blessing/carrying forward past karmas/ God's grace etc upon a person. Hence Gurbani uses this form of expression according to the cultural setting where Gurujee was preaching. This is because the forehead of a person, together with the rest of a person's facial expression can be a quick giveaway as to how a person is feeling or reacting to something. In punjabee a person's unhappy, troubled state is described as ''methe te tiuria'' or methe te kale badal'', and when a person appears radiant and positive we say ''aaj tera metha chamkda''. Saying that, the brain, subconscious mind,and dasam duar are all behind the covering of the forehead skin higher upon our face and hence a spIrituallly enlightened person can 'sense' or read a person's past karma, coming life etc by glancing at the forehead. Gurbani encourages us to rest our forehead on Gurujee's Feet e.g when we metha tek before SGGS in a gurudwara to surrender, and as a sign of our humility and acceptance of Gurujee as our Father and Master, and accepting the authority and guidance of Gurbani in our life, and to receive the blessings from the holy dhoor or dust from the divine holy feet or charan kamal of Gurujee. Gurujee when He blesses us places His hand on our metha 'seerh hath dherio' and protects us 'seerh mastak rkha parbramgang-slok sanskriti SGGS.'.

Forehead is the place where soul resides(Trikuti Chutee Dasawa Dar Khule). destiny is not written on the forehead but actually Puran Sant/ Mahrapursh talks of Destiny of the SOUL.

I remeber reading somewhere(in one of the Gurmat Books) that Spiritual souls get special marking on their Foreheads which is not seen by ordinary person like me. whenever these spiritual soul departs from Matlok and goto Dharamraj, that marking(Nishan) is seen bby dharamraj and dharamraj bows to them with respect. since there lekha is zero and books of destiny of such souls are blank(zero-neither positive nor negative); such souls goto Sachkhand. Even devi devtaas bows with respect to such souls.

To be serious, I think the 'markings' are more of an internal 'thing', that only be seen (as mentioned in one of the above posts) by someone spiritually attuned to such matters. Although I'm pretty such that spiritual people would be able to "read" something by looking at our foreheads too.

They look at our Impessions on Soul due to past life Karams and future Karam beacuse SOul knows eveything about past and future; only that we donot realize ourself due to attachment to mind

I have seen the skull of my grandfather after Sanskar... there was something written on his skull as I am was not familiar with language. I have shown the same to my uncle he said it is arabic.... no one at that time knew arabic therefore I will not be able to tell what those words meant. But I am firm believer that destiny is written on once forhead in literal terms.

• Like 1

i saw those lines too but we are talking about two different things here...those lines which you saw are on everyone's forehead

it is according to the folklore that a devi whose hands are tied at her back writes it...thats why they can't be read....thats how laymen justify it..i am not sure of gurmat perspective...its more of a hindu thing and i am not in favour of this..it is same as getting someone to read lines of hands...

the nishaan on the soul is a phenomena confirmed by guru sahib..the soul does get marked

• Like 1

Destiny is not written on the forehead but karmas are. These karmas cannot be seen and are only a partial set of the karmas that a jeev must go through and endure in this life. These karmas can change depending on the lifestyle of that particular person. However, their effects can be reduced to the point of being miniscule. A death by hanging can be reduced to pain of thorn pick. What this means is that the karmas written on the forehead can be changed. When one follows Gurmat, his karmas will change and bad karmas will start to burn. On the other hand, if one starts to follow falsehood he will burn away his good karma. This is why Gurbani emphasizes to japp Naam and follow Gurmat and this is the only way to change and eliminate karma. All other "good deeds" only accumulate more and more karma. One’s destination depends on their choice.

Also, Vaheguru writes these karmas and He alone knows what to write but His writing is not limited to any time. In other words, He can change the writing and add new karma any time during one’s life. This is how karmas change. If one follows Gurmat, his bad karma will start to reduce and good karma will prevail. After exhausting this life’s karma, all other accumulated karmas of past lives will also start to burn away. This will change the karma writings on his forehead. Guru Rakha

• Like 4

Can someone explain then, where does 'free will' fit in?

Khalsa Ji,

We are free to make our own choice, given different options. We make choices, but are under the influence of Kaam/krodh/lobh/moh/hankaar. Our temperament has also been shaped by our previous karams too. Only Naam can remomove the influence of the above 5.

Waheguru...

• Like 2