Destiny Written On Forehead

This cuts both ways. In traditional Indian culture and verbal communication(language), the matha or forehead is symbolic(rather than literal) of a curse or blessing/carrying forward past karmas/ God's grace etc upon a person. Hence Gurbani uses this form of expression according to the cultural setting where Gurujee was preaching. This is because the forehead of a person, together with the rest of a person's facial expression can be a quick giveaway as to how a person is feeling or reacting to something. In punjabee a person's unhappy, troubled state is described as ''methe te tiuria'' or methe te kale badal'', and when a person appears radiant and positive we say ''aaj tera metha chamkda''. Saying that, the brain, subconscious mind,and dasam duar are all behind the covering of the forehead skin higher upon our face and hence a spIrituallly enlightened person can 'sense' or read a person's past karma, coming life etc by glancing at the forehead. Gurbani encourages us to rest our forehead on Gurujee's Feet e.g when we metha tek before SGGS in a gurudwara to surrender, and as a sign of our humility and acceptance of Gurujee as our Father and Master, and accepting the authority and guidance of Gurbani in our life, and to receive the blessings from the holy dhoor or dust from the divine holy feet or charan kamal of Gurujee. Gurujee when He blesses us places His hand on our metha 'seerh hath dherio' and protects us 'seerh mastak rkha parbramgang-slok sanskriti SGGS.'.

Forehead is the place where soul resides(Trikuti Chutee Dasawa Dar Khule). destiny is not written on the forehead but actually Puran Sant/ Mahrapursh talks of Destiny of the SOUL.

I remeber reading somewhere(in one of the Gurmat Books) that Spiritual souls get special marking on their Foreheads which is not seen by ordinary person like me. whenever these spiritual soul departs from Matlok and goto Dharamraj, that marking(Nishan) is seen bby dharamraj and dharamraj bows to them with respect. since there lekha is zero and books of destiny of such souls are blank(zero-neither positive nor negative); such souls goto Sachkhand. Even devi devtaas bows with respect to such souls.

To be serious, I think the 'markings' are more of an internal 'thing', that only be seen (as mentioned in one of the above posts) by someone spiritually attuned to such matters. Although I'm pretty such that spiritual people would be able to "read" something by looking at our foreheads too.

• 2 years later...

I have seen the skull of my grandfather after Sanskar... there was something written on his skull as I am was not familiar with language. I have shown the same to my uncle he said it is arabic.... no one at that time knew arabic therefore I will not be able to tell what those words meant. But I am firm believer that destiny is written on once forhead in literal terms.

• Like 1

i saw those lines too but we are talking about two different things here...those lines which you saw are on everyone's forehead

it is according to the folklore that a devi whose hands are tied at her back writes it...thats why they can't be read....thats how laymen justify it..i am not sure of gurmat perspective...its more of a hindu thing and i am not in favour of this..it is same as getting someone to read lines of hands...

the nishaan on the soul is a phenomena confirmed by guru sahib..the soul does get marked

• Like 1

Can someone explain then, where does 'free will' fit in?

Khalsa Ji,

We are free to make our own choice, given different options. We make choices, but are under the influence of Kaam/krodh/lobh/moh/hankaar. Our temperament has also been shaped by our previous karams too. Only Naam can remomove the influence of the above 5.

Waheguru...

• Like 2