Interview Of Sikh Girl Who Used To Have Mulsim Boyfreind

Hammertime007

I understand people say its parents role to educate children about sikhi, but i personally know some who are into sikhi because they have too. like they were born and raised that way but there heart is not in it, end of the day they resent it and sometimes there family as they feel they have to do things they dont want too.

i think you should be educated about religion but it shouldnt be forced down your throat. im married to non sikh, i take my kids gurdwara every week end of day if when they grow up they want nothing to do with religion i d accept there decision.

i was practically raised as an athesist, my grandad was, both my parents born in uk but they been blessed and found god they now amritdhari, and im also in small steps i am learning. i could not speak good punjabi as i only did with my gran but now i have learnt to read it.

point i want to make is only if you want to learn about your,heritage and forefathers religion you will do it off your own back if the person dont give <banned word filter activated> is there any point wasting both your time telling them stuff when they dont care.

What I personally find is that Sikh scripture requires a mature mind to grasp. I mean I read stuff when I was a teenager and on reflection I realise that at that time I just didn't 'get' it, even if I thought I did then. I know some people are blessed but an average intelligence teenage Panjabi would probably struggle to truly comprehend the depth of the bani.

As for history, some people seem to naturally love it, some feel the opposite about it - that it is boring and irrelevant today, and no argument to the contrary can sway them from this.

I guess what this tells us is that no ONE approach is enough. We need to be reaching out on multiple levels simultaneously. Taping into their social, intellectual and spiritual needs at the same time?

Plus maybe we just need to accept that some people just don't want to be Sikh as well.

I understand people say its parents role to educate children about sikhi, but i personally know some who are into sikhi because they have too. like they were born and raised that way but there heart is not in it, end of the day they resent it and sometimes there family as they feel they have to do things they dont want too.

Bingo. I know so many Sikh lads who are scared into following Sikhi by an overbearing father or older brothers and cousins. Whilst there isn't any constant physical violence, the threat is always hanging over their heads. The fear of being ostracised if they don't toe the religious line is always present in their minds. As such, they do resent the faith. They pay lip service in-front of their family to keep the peace, but when you speak to them on a one-to-one basis, everything they say is just so wrong and far removed from Sikhi that its really sad. These are guys in their 20's btw.

. What seems to have subsequently happened is that having overcome the extermination threat from Moghuls etc. a lot of Panjabi pendus have slyly thought "we can go back to all our previous backward thinking now" and so the panth goes. Make you wonder if they really ever were interested in the faith outside of the social/political/economic benefit they could accrue from it?

We've become tied to rural Panjabi politics/culture so much, its like a ball and chain in the 21st century in my opinion.

Your 'opinion' Dal Singh is worthless because it has it's foundations in blind ignorance. The thread is about Sikh 'females'. Of the Urban / Rural divide among the Sikhs it is the urban ones that devalue women.....it is the urban ones that see sikhi as only for men.....It is the urban ones where the men wear turbans but have wives that are all but hindu women. By contrast, it is the rural ones where the women wear turbans as well.....It is the rural tradition of the 'jatti' who answers to no man and swears to vengence / badla and as such has been the source of countless movies, epic stories and poems over the centuries.

As usual, you blame everything and anything on what you like to term the 'pendus'....but remember this : It is the 'pendus' who have equality between the sexes. It is the 'pendu' women that give as good as they get and refuse to be second best at anything. Those gurdwaras and sikh functions in the uk where women are hidden behind a pardah belong to Sikhs from an URBAN background. Those sikhs in which 90% of the men have paghs and dharian but 99% of their submissive wives have short hair and dots on their foreheads as well as kokke through their noses are from an URBAN background.

The answer to our problem is for our girls to realise that they are lucky enough to belong to the one and only major religion in the world that gives them complete and utter equality. Only a fool amomg them would let such a beautiful thing pass through their fingertips.

The problem....is you. You who devalue them such that you think they are not warriors and need the protection of men. You who criticises the egalitarian spirit of the tough rural women and support that second class, hidden, veiled peripheral role of the urban women.

I've looked back at your posts going back along time. There's a constant theme. No matter what the thread. No matter what the topic.....somehow you always manage to bring in a sentence about either the 'pendus'....the 'rural peasants'....the 'jatts'. Your 'opinion' therefore, on this and any subject, is worthless.

Your 'opinion' Dal Singh is worthless because it has it's foundations in blind ignorance.

I haven't read the rest of your post but I just know you are going to turn this into a jatt issue again - aren't you!

Oh dear. :huh:

Say your piece and be at peace...

The answer to our problem is for our girls to realise that they are lucky enough to belong to the one and only major religion in the world that gives them complete and utter equality.

It doesnt matter if Sikhi gives women equality if in reality sikh girls feel that they are pushed to the sides or treated badly by their menfolk.

It doesnt matter if Sikhi gives women equality if in reality sikh girls feel that they are pushed to the sides or treated badly by their menfolk.

It's true. You hear this quite often from them.

There is a big difference between the practice of the community and the ideals of the faith in many things, let alone gender related issues.

I

I haven't read the rest of your post but I just know you are going to turn this into a jatt issue again - aren't you!

No. YOU did. On this thread, just like you do in every single thread you post on, you stated the problem is the "pendu" sikhs......the "rural" sikhs. Why ? Why do you habitually blame everything and anything on the rural sikhs ? What bad experience did you once have with a rural sikhs that has left you so bitter ? And....mor importantly, why do you always think you can get away with it time and again....only to pin the blame on the next man that pulls you up on it ?

And now...you have the nerve to mention the sikh girls that don't value their equality when only a few messages back it was you who stated that they are so unequal....so NOT warriors that they need the protection of men. You come across as a very confused individual Dal Singh. On the one hand you pretend to be a truly great Sikh but on the other hand you possess the kind of views that would feel far more at home amomg the hindus (rakhri on your wrist to 'protect' the timid female) and muslims (urban sikhi whereby sikhi only for men.....turbans only for men.....pardah of women...segregation of women). What female in her right mind is gonna be even slightly interested in the sikhi that you, Dal Singh, espouse ? You on this thread is like a burglar on a neighbourhood watch thread. You have no answers to any problem....you ARE the problem.

You fool. I'm from a rural background myself. I'm just not ignorant like you and recognise when it's time for change and progression. There is more at stake here than your petty penducentric pride.

Now go away and stop trolling.

Why then in this thread about sikh women ,that had nothing to do with 'rural' and 'urban' sikhs, did you feel the need to state your conviction that the blame lies with the "pendu" sikhs.....the "rural" sikhs ?

What stopped your mind from reminding you that it was in fact the 'rural' women who were far more equal, forcefull and warrior like and it was in fact the 'urban' women who have to, in this country today, endure the pardah, total segregation, total control at worst and a peripheral hindu role at best ?

What possessed you into thinking that you could do what you do in every thread you visit and blame the problem, any problem, on the 'rural pendus' ? Is it because you know you always have your fall-back plan....the one where you describe the person that exposes your bigotry as a 'troll', thus cleverly diverting attention from your own prejudice ?