Please Don'T Talk Over Me!

Yes it is annoying, but we need to realise we attracted this experience, its our fault its happening. If you are in this situation, you have a chance to educate people why they should shutup and listen. Or you can use some psychological technques to get people to listen. Like for example you could ask some who is talking loudly, "I don't understand what is being said, could you reiterate what is being said for me?" Then the people talking will have to listen, then afterwards you can have a discussion about Gurbani with them, about what was being said. Which is even better, it changes the separate mind patterns, and makes us all think we are in this together which is true.

Whatever, there is an infinite ways, where we can turn problems, into education. You have a chance, to speak out, and show your passion for Sikhi, or you can sit in the corner, just complain to yourself "oh i wish these people would shutup", or realise its just a reflection of whats going on inside of yourself, its you! & now you have a chance to put things right, why don't you afterwards, go up to the microphone when the giani has finished and say a little speech why its important to listen and not talk. And if people don't listen, the guru will take care of them himself.

Ofcourse easier said than done :D, but i know you guys are brave! i'm not. Most annoying when people phones go off, and they take all day to answer it! :@ But we got to remember it is an inner reflection of ourselves. It is our problem, what are we going to do about it? Do we have the courage to stand up, when there is disrespect. Because most people born into a "Sikh" family have been given such a gift, and yet we just ignore it. Where as some people have been striving their whole lives to find the truth, and we "sikhs" have it right in our faces, but we don't even want to listen. Ofcourse im guilty of this too, but now there comes a time, when enough is enough, we must be strong now.

I’ve never found it right for kids to bring game consoles to Gurudwara, but like veer jee has said it is also down to the parents, who lets kids take game consoles to the Gurudwara? Parents don’t they. And it is down to parents to teach them Punjabi as well, when a katha has finished a parent should ask the kids what did u learn, what words didn’t you understand! That way kids knowledge will expand. And if parents do this I’m sure there will be no talking, no gaming and no running about!

I've never found it right for kids to bring game consoles to Gurudwara, but like veer jee has said it is also down to the parents, who lets kids take game consoles to the Gurudwara? Parents don't they. And it is down to parents to teach them Punjabi as well, when a katha has finished a parent should ask the kids what did u learn, what words didn't you understand! That way kids knowledge will expand. And if parents do this I'm sure there will be no talking, no gaming and no running about!

Yes but the reality is all parents are not going to do this or they would have been doing it in the first place. So its up to you to change them! how can parents teach their kids about sikhi if they don't know about it themselves. Thats why those who do have the knowledge, its up to you to educate everyone, not just children but adults. Its often the adults anyway i hear talking so much the "elder bibiya" like you said earlier. Not generalising, I just mean thats who i tend to hear the most.

it reminds me of that quote "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." The people who are in the know, you are the ones that need to rise up and stop this. help me while your at it :p

Harjeet, my apologies for coming across as quite blunt on the baby milk thread.

Anyway, on this issue I do think we're being a bit harsh. I mean the Gurdwara is not always seen by all in the same light. For many it is seen as a sikh community centre....for sikhs to get together and catch up with after a week of hard work. And there is some historical justification for this also as the predecesor of the Gurdwara was the Sikh Dharmsala which even the janam sakhis state that Sikhs should regularly meet up in and discuss current affairs.

Now i'm not condoning the over-talking and blatant games console playing but I think its important to bear in mind the social significance of the Gurdwara as well as the purely religious one.

I think it is just like a classroom where there are lots of pupils with special needs and they would not understand whats going on and try their own methods to pass time. Go and observe any mixed abilty lessons and you will find that at some point the under achievers would start conversing.

Fella, Urdu wasn't even there during Charlie Chaplin's time. Its such a new language its still got the wrapper on. And Punjabi is a full 900 years older than Hindi so it (hindi) ain't worth that much historically either.

I will say this though : Whether we like it or not....the Gurdwara is the place that the whole Sikh community can get together on a sunday (when most people get a chance to come). There.....after a a week of hard work....they finally get a chance to see each other, talk to each other and find out whats going on. Others, are there for various other reasons such as kids gurbani classes etc. So...basically....although its very easy for young students and office professionals who sit on comfy chairs and telephones all week to lecture about what to do on Sunday mornings at the Gurdwara....the vast majority of the sangat there have been grafting hard all week.....manual graft. Cut them some slack.

That's a good point Weston London Singh, let's NOT go into the Lungar hall or ANY of the other many areas in and around the Gurudwara where we are more than free and welcome to talk! Let's all talk in front of Guru Ji in the one hall where we are asked to be silent! Let's cut even more 'slack' let's start shouting!!

West London Singh, do you mind if I asked you a direct question, for a direct answer. Do you see a higher entity on this earth than Guru Granth Sahib Ji (Waheguru). If you do, please have the honesty to share this entity with me!!

Gurdwara is not a chitchat place to go and relax after weekday work. To those who thinks this way then please stay at home. GuruDwara (Guru's Home) is only the place to go and meet guru sahib jee. We should go there to gain knowledge not to relax. Take knowledge from our guru sahib jee and implement that in your life.. both @ work and @ home. Regarding kids, It is all comes to parents responsibility.

West London Singh, do you mind if I asked you a direct question, for a direct answer. Do you see a higher entity on this earth than Guru Granth Sahib Ji (Waheguru). If you do, please have the honesty to share this entity with me!!

Blimey :o What is this....National Have a go at west London Singh day ?

Nah seriously bruvs...i don't mind you asking me a serious direct question at all. I will though...if you don't mind...answer your question in a rather cryptic way....but an apt answer nonetheless.

The Gurus, whilst on this earth in physical form , told us to meet each other whenever possible in the Gurdwaras (Dharmsalas) and discuss local and current affairs with each other.

Mere mortals, after the 10th masters death, themselves decided to change the nature of those places from a dharmsala to a gurdwara.

Your own question right back at ya then : Why is it that you value the traditions started by mortals over the teachings of our gurus ?

(and please remember brother....I have clearly pointed out that I have in no way condoned the very loud talking in darbar hall etc. I have merely pointed out that the Gurdwara has always been a place for sikhs to meet and greet each other. On any given day at the Gurdwara you have to remember that not everyone there is there for the same reason as yourself. With the art of the pachola virtually dead now it is the gurdwara and its marriage lists that are the mainstays of today's arranged marriages...and the place the prospective bride and groom have their first meeting. Some are there to have their Punjabi classes. Some are there to have their gatka classes. etc etc. Others....do as has always been done....sit and talk about whats going on )

West London Singh.. True that gurdwara sahib is the gathering place for sikhs. However there is maryada to follow. Taking an example of Sri Harmandir sahib of amritsar; One cannot speak/talk/disturb others inside the main darbar hall of sri darbar sahib. However, Sikhs can bring, discuss any daily issues @ Sri Akal Takht Sahib. So there is always time and place for such activities to take place. The topic is about loud chatting and kids playing video games DURING the time where guru sahib jee present in darbar hall and religious activities such as kirtan/katha/hukamnama is taking place. That is the issue we are talking here. Guru Granth Sahib is our king and we atleast must give little respect by not chatting or playing video games. There is no rule to stop this but this is common understanding of not doing such beadbi stuff inside darbar hall. Even non-sikh places deplore such activities or send kids to school and allow them to play video games during class time and see how fast school will hit back to you.100% parents responsibilities but agree that it is our own fault for not having any system where young parents were given chance to learn more about such things...