Sign in to follow this  
Menu Ke Patha

Vegetarian Protein Shake

so what protein shake shud i advise my bro?

Whey based isolate is perfectly fine for vegetarians. Make sure you get isolate, it is a bit expensive but highest quality protein out there.

I've only ever eaten wholemeal bread but I understand bread is not desirable when training. I have like a max of 4-5 slices TOTAL each day with my steamed vegetables, and then also as sandwiches with cucumbers, tomatoes and raw spinach leaves, etc. Is there something that I could substitute bread for that I could realistically eat for the rest of my life?

I need my energy as I've come off a long bout of illness for the best part of a decade, so eating only leaves ('kaah-foos' as they say in Panjabi) probably isn't the best thing to do at this moment in time. I'm vegetarian btw, but I eat dairy (but no cheese as it makes me bloat, etc) and I don't consume eggs.

Shucks, I just wrote a long post and it didn't get posted. So I will summarize.

It is perfectly fine to have carbs, provided they are healthy carbs. By that I mean whole wheat or whole grain carbs. Stay as far as you can from white starchy carbs, things like white bread cause a lot of issues in the body.

Your body has 2 distinct mechanism by which it breaks down fat/food for energy; i) uses stored fat, and ii) uses the food eaten. There has been conclusive research done which showed how the body processes a high carb meal. For this research, test subjects are put into three groups and fed them a high carb meal, pasta.

Group 1: was idle, not doing any activity

Group 2: did a light to moderate workout - brisk walking; light jogging etc

Group 3: did a high intensity workout - heavy weights, circuits, intense cardio etc

Following was discovered:

Group 1: As they were inactive, when they ingested the pasta meal, their bodies stopped using it's fat stores for energy completely. In addition to that, the pasta eaten was mostly stored as fat as well.

Group 2: After the moderate workout, when they ingested the pasta meal, their bodies ability to use fat stores for energy largely diminished. Some of the eaten pasta was used for energy but about 30-40% was stored as fat still

Group 3: After the intense workout, when they ingested the pasta meal, their bodies ability to use fat stores for energy largely remained unchanged. In fact, for some test subject this accelerated even. A key point to note here is that the eaten pasta meal was NOT stored as fat and almost all of it was used for recovery purposes. Even a few hours after this intense workout, their body was still using the eaten meal + the fat stores for energy. Resulting in a much larger calorie expenditure than the other 2 groups.

Case in point, have all the healthy carbs you can after your workout and you will be fine. If you do not have carbs post workout, your body's ability to repair itself diminishes to a large extend. So you will be sore for longer which in turn will mean that you will not be able to workout to your full potential for a longer period of time as well.

It's now well established that carbs are not bad for you, it's a matter or timing and amount. If you want to loose fat, it's a simple matter of keeping your calorie intake marginally smaller than what you expend through out the day. The thing to remember is that, the difference should not be too large or your body will either go into starvation mode where it will being to store as much eaten food as possible as fat or it will not be able to repair itself post workout. By and large, it does not matter where the calories are coming from, although there is some debate on this.

• Like 1

I went to GNC today to get some advice and they advised me Maximuscle Promax extreme.

Since being Veggie I feel like my recovery rate has slowed down, so am looking for a supplement.

I've heard friends speak about Creatine increasing recovery rate.

I do a wide variety of sports including football, running, badminton and am now finding myself wasting away. I know I need to start eating more and more dahl, lentils and etc, but am looking for a supplement.

I saw the nutrisport 90+ and wanted to know if anyone has had much success with this?

How about MyProtein - whey protein? Ive heard only good things about it..

Promax is very very pricey of it - due to branding etc - so i wouldn't reccommend it to whoever asked.