GORAE doing guru sahibs beadbi (UK)

Mkhalsa

I received this email:

vjkk vjkk

It is all well and good jumping up and down about what is to occur at this wedding. But I see no-one prepared to stand up to the British Library who are going to display Guru Ji in a glass cabinet!!!

I e-mailed this forum about 4 weeks ago but no response. I have since personally been telephoning and e-mailing the British Library  but just get passed from one person to another. The last excuse  I heard was that all major Sikh organisations are supporting the exhibition therefore me as an individual could not be supporting a majority view!!!

So now Harpartap Ji, MKhalsa and others what are we to do about this???

While we are on the topic a place in Wolverhampton called Ek Nivas has Guru Ji there along with shrines for all other religions. i.e. no matter what you believe in there is a one-stop shop for all. Are we going to do anything about this as well?

My point is there is a lot of everyday biadbi happening which we are doing nothing about. Although yes at this wedding it is biadbi but to what extent. The two examples above show a greater extent of biadbi.

Santokh

Sikh treasure display by the British Library

An excerpt from:

Asian News

Tuesday, 3rd August 2004

THE oldest holy Sikh script outside India is to go on show as part of the Anglo-Sikh Heritage Internet Trail.

The British Library will be displaying a 17th century version of the Guru Granth Sahib along w

ith other manuscripts and Sikh treasures owned by the library.

Documents and miniatures associated with the Khalsa, the community of warriors created by Guru Gobind Singh, will also be on display. Included will be an illustration of Ranjit Singh, known as the lion of the Punjab, who created the first and only Sikh state in 1799.

Said Asian affairs advisor to the Mayor of London, Atma Singh: ‘The exhibition of Sikh treasures will enhance the library‘s world class reputation. I would urge all visitors to some and see it. This sort of exhibition is the soul of a living multi-faith and multi-cultural capital city."

The aim of the Anglo-Sikh Heritage trail is to highlight the historic links between the two cultures. The site address is www.asht.info

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we want to save old scriptures then we should look into Punjab where ppls are selling them on ebay's and most of em are just laying their without any proper preservation and so on..

and regarding the display.. Pls show us the picture which guru sahib jee is resting.. Then i can only comment... otherwise its hard to guess and take action..

VahegurujikaKhalsa, VahegurujikiFateh!

Thank you for bringing these two issues to teh Sangats attention.

I cannot for one minute believe that any self respecting Panthic Jathebandhi would support the 'display' of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as an object of curiosity or Prakaas next to idols. Both of these things are unacceptable.

If anybody has contact details for the exhibition, please post them here.

VahegurujikaKhalsa, VahegurujikiFateh!

Thank you for bringing these two issues to teh Sangats attention.

I cannot for one minute believe that any self respecting Panthic Jathebandhi would support the 'display' of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as an object of curiosity or Prakaas next to idols. Both of these things are unacceptable.

If anybody has contact details for the exhibition, please post them here.

Also where is this 'Ek Nivas' in Wolverhampton, if you have a tel number & address it would be useful?

Thanks

It is untrue for the British Library to say that "all major Sikh organisations are supporting this". There has been no consultation on this and whilst I am not a "major Sikh institution" I would not have advised them of doing this.

Any complaints should be made to Jasleen.Kandhari@bl.uk and hsr@asht.info. I dont think that there is any mileage in sending messages to Atma Singh.

I also think we need to start arranging a jatha to turn up @ the museum to portest against this. This needs to be ASAP, so whilst we are phoning & e-mailing the relevant people to communicate our outrage, I suggest we be ready once again incase we need to turn up.

I somehow do not see the mueseum changing their mind until we successfully communicate our outrage.