GORAE doing guru sahibs beadbi (UK)

Mkhalsa

We need to get the local London news shows to talk about this.

We need London Tonigh (ITV) and BBC London News

Also any london Radio Station would be great as well.

All Sikh media should know about this problem as well, we need every ones support as this is a big problem.

May Waheguru jee bless us with this seva,

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small Jatha of Singhs visited the British Library at lunchtime. In the Rittblatt Gallery, we discovered a full saroop of Sri Dasam Granth 'displayed' in a glass cabinet - there were no rumalla's covering it and it was open.

In addition, there was what appeared to be a full saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in a separate glass cabinet! It appeared to be laid on a cushion and had rumalla's underneath it and was uncovered i.e. open. The notice said 'Selections from the Guru Granth Sahib'. The Singhs immediately spoke to the head of the Asian Department, Graham Shaw.

He said that the saroop was not the 'standard version' which is accepted as being the Guru Granth Sahib ji today. It does not contain all the bani's which are in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. When asked which bani's, he had no answer and said that he would consult with the 'Sikh' scholar Jeevan Deol (School of Asian and African Studies, University of London) who had conducted an examination of the saroop. He also pointed out that other Sikh texts had been exhibited in a similar way in previous exhibitions without any complaints and that they had consulted with the Anglo Sikh Heritage Trust. The conversation ended with him undertaking to find out exactly what the saroop was from Jeevan Deol.

The Anglo Sikh Heritage Trail appears to be connected to the Maharaja Duleep Singh Centenary Trust. The trustees are D S SIDHU, JS BOPARAI, J S NAGRA, S S BAHIA, and YADWINDER SINGH SUMRAY. They seem to have large amounts of funds

As a bare minimum

, all Gutka's and saroops should be covered in rumalla's and not left open. What does the Sangat think should be done???

Vahiguru ji ka khalsa, Vahiguru ji ki fateh!

Sadh Sangat jio,

Just sent, via Vahiguru's Beant Kirpa, the below-pasted email to the Library contacts given earlier by a Veer ji. The focus should, in my limited opinion, be upon 'accountability' e.g. who was approached, what they said etc.

Vahiguru ji ka khalsa, Vahiguru ji ki fateh!

------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

I am writing to you with a sense of absolute disgust, however I am aware that you may be wholly ignorant as to why I feel disgusted. Please let me offer the following explanation.

Siree Guru Granth Sahib Ji, which is the Supreme Spiritual Authority so far as millions of Sikhs the world-over are concerned, is ALWAYS expected to be treated with a great amount of respect i.e. the place where It resides is sanctified and, for instance, the consumption and/or presence of alcohol, meat and other substances is not allowed.

Moreover, when a Sikh catches sight of their Siree Guru Sahib Ji, they prostrate and touch their forehead to the ground in humility and with a sense of the most deepst respect and submission.I am trying to give you an impression of the mindset which is an intrinsic nature of the Sikh towards his.her Siree Guru Sahib Ji. Needless to say, it is not considered merely as a 'book' made up of 'pages'.

So as you can probably imagine, when I came to know that the British Library is intending to 'display' my Siree Guru Sahib Ji as though It were some kind of 'exhibit' or 'object' behind a 'glass window' for those curious to look at it, you can imagine my

absolute disgust.

The bottom line is that though your intentions are seem positive, you are unknowingly overlooking some MAJOR issues; namely, the fact that you will be COMPLETELY UNABLE to adequately and appropriately ensure that Siree Guru Sahib Ji is handled, placed and approached in a respectful manner...this will be IMPOSSIBLE to do in a Museum space.

For instance, how will you ensure that those who enter the space/room that Siree Guru Sahib Ji is located will remove their shoes and cover their heads? Will you be telling EVERY visitor to ensure they are not carrying alcohol, cigareetes etc.? Will you have a Sikh attendant who will be able to carry out the neccesary recitations which take place throughout the day wherever Siree Guru Granth Sahib Ji is located?

Please inform me via a written letter (and supplemented by an email) as to how you wish to resolve this; alongside ofcourse committing to NOT going forward with these insensitive plans.

Also could you provide the following: A list of the 'Sikh organisations and individuals' you have consulted regarding this Anglo-Sikh Heritage Internet Trail (which I think is an amazing project ASIDE from the issue I write to you concerning).

Please send this email to Gurmukh Singh (who I have also cc'd re: this email) for his information - he is the Secretary of the BSCF (British Sikh Consultative Forum) which in my opinion is the best example of a truly 'consultative' and 'representative' UK-wide Sikh voice; I say this because many Sikh organisations are affiliated to it.

I await your speedy reply.

Thanks for your posting Charan Singh,

I definetly see this as Guruji's Saroop.

Even at the bare minimum whether Gurbani's in the form of a Gutka or a Senchi, we always remove our shoes or ensure our heads covered. I am pretty sure vistors to the museum or museum staff will not be observing this. This tradition must be maintained wherever Gurbani is present.

This is beadbi and we urgently need to tackle this.

I am sending a e-mail to Chief-Executive@bl.uk; Jasleen.Kandhari@bl.uk; hsr@asht.info; atma.singh@london.gov.uk.

When asked which bani's, he had no answer and said that he would consult with the 'Sikh' scholar Jeevan Deol (School of Asian and African Studies, University of London) who had conducted an examination of the saroop. He also pointed out that other Sikh texts had been exhibited in a similar way in previous exhibitions without any complaints and that they had consulted with the Anglo Sikh Heritage Trust. The conversation ended with him undertaking to find out exactly what the saroop was from Jeevan Deol.

So they have only consulted one individual for advice!!

Anyway they definetly have Guruji's Saroop, please read article below

http://www.theasiannews.co.uk/heritage/ind...ndex/11316.html

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Just received this email freom Jeevan Deol:

Waheguru ka Khalsa Waheguruji ki Fateh.

Thank you for your email.

I am afraid that I am not fully aware of the situation to which you refer. I

am not connected with the running of the British Library or its displays,

and was not consulted about this particular exhibition.

Had I been consulted, I would obviously have advised against putting a

manuscript of Sri Guru Granth Sahibji on display for precisely the reasons

you have lain out.

I'm afraid that I have not seen the Sikh display and do not know its

contents--or which manuscripts have been put out. I would be very sad indeed

if a copy of Sri Guru Granth Sahibji were to have been included among them.

I would advise that you keep in touch with the British Library on this

matter--particularly the curator of the display--as they are responsible for

their own exhibitions.

Yours,

Jeevan S. Deol.

Whats going on? Have The British Library asked anyones advice???

for those of you who dont know what we are talking about. I went to sikh history exhibit at V&A in london few years back and I was appalled when I saw guru sahib there, of course, i wasnt the same person I am today, so I really didnt say anything about it, I did talk to some sikhs, and they just said shutup.

I feel bad about not having done anything.

Anyway, Here is what it kind of looks like, but of course a bigger version.

post-2-1092155326.jpg