GORAE doing guru sahibs beadbi (UK)

Mkhalsa

Vahiguru ji ka khalsa, Vahiguru ji ki fateh!

Sadh Sangat Jio,

Just received this from Jeevan Deol; i had cc'd him in on the email i sent to the British Library.

Now perhaps it is time to start phoning them and telling them that you are personally aware that the prominent Jeevan Deol has, to your knowledge, proactively informed the British Library this is NOT appropriate.

Vahiguru ji ka khalsa, Vahiguru ji ki fateh!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jagroop Singhji,

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

Thank you for sending me your email.

Although I learnt of this situation earlier today via email. I am not connected with the running of the British Library or its displays, and was not consulted about the propriety of displaying a Sri Guru Granth Sahib manuscript.

Had I been consulted, I would obviously have advised against putting a manuscript of Sri Guru Granth Sahibji on display for precisely the reasons you have lain out. I have in fact raised such concerns when other Sikh displays have been put together, for example in Washington.

I'm afraid that I have not seen the British Library display or the plans for it, so I have no first-hand knowledge of what it consists of. I was however very sad indeed to learn that a copy of Sri Guru Granth Sahibji may have been included in it in error.

I did receive an email from the Library this afternoon asking about the manuscript, and informed them that is indeed a copy of Sri Guru Granth Sahibji and should not therefore be on display.

Do keep in touch with the British Library on this, as I am certain

that they will be responsive to Sikh concerns and would certainly not have intended to cause offence.

Yours,

Jeevan S. Deol

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Letter received just minutes ago from the British Library. They have removed Guruji's saroop from the exhibition.

Now we need to know

1) where Guruji's saroop will be taken ?

2) why have they not removed Sri Dasam Granth ji?

SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB

The British Library has today withdrawn from its current display ‘Faith and Brotherhood: Treasures of the Sikhs’ the manuscript of the Guru Granth Sahib. We apologise for any offence this may have inadvertently caused.

The British Library is very conscious of its responsibilities and duties of care towards the sacred texts of all world faiths in its collection, not least the Guru Granth Sahib for its special significance to the Sikh community.

With this very much in mind, we have only ever displayed manuscripts which are selections from the Guru Granth Sahib, rather than complete manuscripts, and it was our understanding that the manuscript in question was also not complete, lacking for instance the hymns composed by the 9th Sikh Guru Tegh Bahadur.

However, we have now been informed that, although this is technically correct, the manuscript should still be accorded the same respect due to a complete Guru Granth Sahib. Hence our decision to remove the manuscript from display immediately.

The British Library again apologises unreservedly for any offence it may unwittingly have given.

Lynne Brindley

Chief Executive

The British Library

BHOLLLLLLEY SOOOOOOOOOO NIHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

SAT SIRI AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

Waheguru jee

What can I say, I am speech less, Happy and full of joy WOW.

So happy And I want to say thanks you to all the singhs,

This is other Great Day for UK SINGHS.

May Waheguru jee bless us with more seva,

Waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru.

Seva? STill tons to do :wub:

1-

While we are on the topic a place in Wolverhampton called Ek Nivas has Guru Ji there along with shrines for all other religions. i.e. no matter what you believe in there is a one-stop shop for all. Are we going to do anything about this as well?

2- Get the to do the same with Sri Dasam Granth

3- FIND OUT WHER THEY'RE LEAVING THESE SAROOPS - only appropriate palce I can think of is a GURDWARA - but we cna't expect it to be Saef, but atleast Maharaj is treated with respect - or? :D

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I would assume the historical saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj is kept in the vaults of the British Library. I will try to find out.

We must keep the pressure for the Library to revoke the "display" of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib aswell.

Sikhiji please can you still post the pictures of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib.

Pyare Gurmukho,

Daas wants to share something with the Sangat. It is true that the present issue is about British Library, but i feel lots of such libraries/museums around the world have Saroops of Sri Guru Granth Sahib in their vaults. Even in Punajb/India.

What must be done?

The only solution i can think of now is:

To collect all the historic manuscripts/Saroops at one place, where they are given due respect. Something similar is shown in the Agan Bhet Video:

http://www.gursewa.org/multimedia/sewa/sewa.htm

Where the Saroops are given due respect.

However i am not fully for the Agan Bhet option, as there could be a historic/reseach value of the Puratan manuscripts. They should be kept in such a 'Sikh museum' fully protected, but WITH Maryada.

Again i am in doubt about the displayment thing...should such a 'Sikh museum' display the Saroops or are they to be protected there and not shown to anyone besides those who do the Sewa there?

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Pls. don't bring jeevan or amar into this.. Thanks..

--------------

In the words of Amandeep Singh.....

Here are a few facts:

1. neither Jeevan nor myself have been consulted about the display of

the Granth. If you read what Graham Shaw seems to have said - he onlt

refers to Jeevan as someone who can interpret what is in the Granth.

Please believe me both Jeevan and I would have advised strongly against

this - we have in the past.

2. Neither Jeevan nor I have any connections with Nidar Singh Nihang -

and the assertion that Jeevan is connected to him is wrong and detracts

from what is otherwise an important issue. I dont think that the two

have ever met and if they have they certainlyhavent met at any Sikh events

in the UK!