Purantan Sikh Soldier Photographs From 1850S.

pedrorizzo

These pics are some of the earliest Sikh recruits absorbed into the british army. However, most of them would have served in the Khalsa Army of Maharajah Ranjit Singh. The Anglo Sikh wars finished only 7 years before these pictures were taken, and the British recruited many of the veterans of these campaigns to put down the Indian mutiny of 1857. They have the appearance and costumes that Sikhs of Maharajah Ranjit Singhs time would have had. The British began to change the dress, dastar style, beard tying etc during the late 1860s-1870s.

http://pix.avaxnews.com/avaxnews/73/2f/00002f73_big.jpeg

There was a cropped version of this very photo claiming it was maharaja ranjit singh & hari singh nalwa, then declared fake- people saying they were afghans and not sikhs

This is the first time i seen this un-cropped version- they look sikh to me..

great site.. great find. strange that we havnt seen these before

http://pix.avaxnews.com/avaxnews/73/2f/00002f73_big.jpeg

There was a cropped version of this very photo claiming it was maharaja ranjit singh & hari singh nalwa, then declared fake- people saying they were afghans and not sikhs

This is the first time i seen this un-cropped version- they look sikh to me..

great site.. great find. strange that we havnt seen these before

They are not Sikhs but afghans. I have london illustraded newspaper clipping with captions of this picture.. I will try to find it...

Very nice pictures !!!!

They are not Sikhs but afghans. I have london illustraded newspaper clipping with captions of this picture.. I will try to find it...

Very nice pictures !!!!

The figures seated to the left appear to the Maharajas of the Sikh states such as Patiala, Nabha, Kapurthala and Jind. The figures behind them appear to their retainers. The two on the extreme left could be the Muslim Nawabs of Bahawalpur and Malerkotla. The Earl of Mayo was governor general of India from 1869 to 1872. So the figures in the centre are definately not Maharaja Ranjt Singh or Hari Singh Nalwa.