Punjabi

Jassika

48 members have voted

1. 1. Punjabi

• I can read, write and speak Punjabi fluently.
    • I can read and/or write little bit but can speak fluently.
    • I can only speak.
    • None of the above.

I was listening to Punjabi radio program and the lady kept talking about how Punjabi is not a progressive language and how it is holding the community back. She kept on and on with her nonsense about how people get so many problems because of Punjabi and how the youth was not learning anything from the Gurdwaras because Punjabi is spoken. So one Sikh calls them and says "Punjabi is the best language in the world. Guru Sahibans chose this language which is the language of the people and easily understood. People have problems because they cannot speak English properly and that has nothing to do with Punjabi. I agree that youth doesn't learn much from the Gurdwaras and there should be some lectures in English but why don't you blame the parents who fail to teach their kids? They themselves don't obey their father Guru Ji and how can they expect their children to obey them? Parents are the first teachers. They are always busy in making money. And how dare you speak against Punjabi. Punjabi is our MOTHER language. We live in America and have changed our country but are you saying we should change our mother as well? What kind of children would that make us? We belong to Anandpur Sahib which is in Punjab, the land of our Gurus. We must always be attached to it. Forgetting about our religion and our language will be like pulling our own roots out."

Hearing this the lady had nothing to say and apologized many many times for saying those harsh words against Punjabi. Now, this just made me wonder. How many of us remember our mother and how many of us make an effort to learn the language? Please participate in the poll. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh!

u should put as one of the options....

can read, write, and understand punjabi.... but cannot speak...

i kno many people like that.. i am one too.. because u hear it all the time.. but we just reply back in english.. and no one really makes us reply back in punjabi...

and i agree tho .. that at gurudwaras they dont really teach you how to speak punjabi tho either... they teach u to write and read.. and thats it....

well.. i just thought there should of been that option on the poll.. but thats just my say.. for the people who do know punjabi (read, write, understand, speak) fluently... you are very lucky and blessed...

bhul chuk maaf

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh!

I love punjabi.. I can speak punjabi fluently and i don't feel shy or anything for speaking punjabi in public like majority of sikh ppls do... I see most of the apanay banday thinks that speaking punjabi brings person down in the society; thus they end up choosing english (western) or even hindi (In india).

Im glad to have friends who are born and raised in california YET they choose to speak PUNJABI with friends..

Learn punjabi.. !!!

GOOD Thread Bijla SIngh .. really good one

Ok lets think about this. :T:

The other day I heard this scholar's speech in Sikhi, and he mentioned how the PUNJ PYARE were from different parts of India, so the Khalsa is a combination of several different cultures, etc. NOT just Punjab, to me this was very new and interesting!! As we closely integrate punjabi tradition, language, etc. with the Khalsa, but the original Punj Pyare were from 5 corners of India.

Something to think about. :e:

Being a Khalsa shouldn't mean you neglect Punjabi! Nor should you force it on someone...if someone is a Khalsa from outside Punjab...who is forcing them to speak Punjabi. just learn Gurmukhi enough to read Gurbani. They can learn there own local languages....hindi, gujarati, tamil whatever... rolleyes.gif

Guru Sahib wanted us to learn as much as possible...why not start at what is "ours" .now i am talking to punjabi sikhs, if non-punjabis are reading, they can replace ours as yours. Once you are done with Punjabi, start on other languages.

(if someone is a language-geek and want to learn new languages, i may be able to share language learning software)