Shastar vidiya vs gatka

IF I wanted to go for shastar vidiya classes is there any other place to go to other than that nang?

Are there any in Canada or India?

There are plenty of gatka akharas in Canada but I find them to be pointless BECAUSE it doesn't seem effective in combat.Its just twirling swords in my opinion.

Sorry if I offended any one :)

if you've already answered your own question then why have you started this thread? just to start trouble?

I wanted to know which one is more effective.Its like saying karate vs Kung fu.One is flash and one is straight forward.If the flashy one is more effective then why not do the flashy one. Same thing with gatka vs shastar vidiya.Which one is more effective.

Are there any good shastar vidiya places in Canada or India.Please don't tell me that I have to go to a nang in uk.

Singh 1234567

If your looking for someone in the toronto area, try checking out Veer Sarbjit Singh of Yudh Gatka. He doesn't just do the normal "twirling" as you have posted.

You can google his school "yudh gatka akhara" or stop by his akhara which is located in the plaza close to Dixie Gurdwara.

This has been discussed too many times, there are no other known teachers publically teachibng the Shastar Vidiya system... If you want to learn a martial art dont bother with Gatka...why do you think Gatka is commonly classified as a "khel" or game ? People refer to "playing Gatka" ..it;s not an effectiver combat system.

You'd be much better served with Silat, Panantukan, Eskrima etc etc if you want to learn hands free and bladed weapons.

I know sarbjit Singh personally.He is my uncle.His two sons and daughter love me.

So basically what you guys are saying Is that I'm out of luck?

~~~~~~

**Mod Note, This is the second time I had to remove profanity from your post. Please do not do this otherwise your posts will start being moderated.

Guest pratannanak

gatka is just a showman piece.... roll around etc.......shaster vidiya is the real deal.. but lets get one thing straight.. it all comes down to the guru.. meaning teacher, ( meaning a true gatka teacher can outskill a fake shaster vidiya teacher and vice versa....before all you akj's start slamming me with being rss...but in my opinion a true shaster vidiya will always out smart a true gatka teacher.. i hail the true nanak who blesed his knowledge of shaster vidiya to baba budha ji, who in his great humility passed the vidiya to guru hargobind sahib ji...

on the level.. most sikh do not belive end of world/kalki avtar etc.... so therefore they are better learning the arts of bbj, mma, muay thai,, the most effective art in the "now".....

Guys, don't waste your time in Gatka. Shastarvidya is indeed an real deal..please look at the information below as i posted...no one is forcing people to go to one specific master. Shastar vidya just like raag vidya have many teachers from different back ground which you could find in India..one have to do search to find shastarvidya ustad in nihang dals, hazoor sahib or potentially- even bhramgyani yodha baba bir singh ji nurangabad samparda as he was known to have shastarvidya.

Don't let one specific master put you off from shastarvidya itself. It's bit like saying - i won't do kirtan in raagas or learn kirtan in raagas because specific raagi kirtani is dubious/anti panthic- rss hindu that might be rightly true but my point being- that shouldn't hold you back to learn vidya itself..!!

India is corrupt county but one thing it has is full of hidden treasures vidya- be it yoga, ayurveda, raag vidya or shastar vidya...!!!

Another interesting peace of information i found regarding shastarvidya just like raag vidya- shastarvidya- it has guru sahib approval after making shastar vidya sampooran by adding new innovations like below in quotes:

Why was it that until the Guru sent Banda Singh Bahadur there never had been conclusive victories against the Moghuls?

Answer:

The Indian fighting art was out of date, the weapons were poor, and the Moghul tactics and technology was superior. The Guru therefore revealed new innovations like Mool Pentra, weapon construction, formations, tactics and strategies that had not be seen before. This was original and unique to the Sikh Panth. This is what real Shastarvidiya, or Jhatka Gatka is.

Shastarvidya uses kinetic energy when fighting whereas gatka is for demonstration to get students interested in martial art. They cannot be compared.

Shastarvidya just like raagvidya has indic roots, shared by eastern dharams. In order to understand energy behind shastarvidya, one can look at parallel- raag vidya in the panth. It's historical fact- bhai sham singh ji raagi when he would sing kirtan in raagas at darbar sahib- deepending on mood of raag, one can see reflection outside like- it would rain, thunder etc. Shastar vidya and raag vidya has kinetic energy behind it which is part of sargun shakti.

All pentra have different energies behind it, all energies are deriving from sargun and its maya. I forgot how many pentra are there, but different pentra have different energies. As one goes from lover pentra to medium to higher- energies from sargun are folding itself back in nirgun, starting from basic form of sargun maya, to medium to high ( In ancient shastarvidya for understanding purpose all these forms of sargun maya are given pictorial form - devi with shastars, shiva with shastars etc etc also reasoning stated above by maha singh) but in essence(tat) these are just energy forms without any name or association. Anyway, highest form of pentra is called- Baba Nanak and It's void as its nirgun parbhram.

Basic energy chart flow just for understanding would be (in battlefield warrior is fighting is using all pentra as flow just like sargun is folding itself back in nirgun).

Lower Pentra with energy (sargun) ---> Medium Pentra with energy (Sargun) --> High pentra with energy (sargun) ---> Ultimate pentra (Baba Nanak) just complete void/nirgun.

I find it quite fascinating.. I can see now how in the past- jaap sahib (sargun nirgun) was used in practise shastar vidya.