Lord Indarjit Singh slams Sikh Arts and Film Festival

DailyMail

Brilliant! One has to be quite self-contained in order to be able to dismiss such honours.

Although I still have some questions.

How did the website linked in the original post get the letter? Wouldn't it have been a private correspondence?

Lord Singh or the addressee, giving a copy of the letter to the media, sounds a bit unlikely.

A different perspective by IJSingh from his article Readers know well that I am not fond of government connected spokesmen from India. Why then did I remain silent and why do I raise this matter now?

Because while these Indian government bureaucrats were present there were always movies or presentations on the injustice of 1984 that these people got to see. And that they need to do so. No compromise was ever made on that. I recall when Amu, a classic film on the injustice of 1984 was screened and its maker, Shonali Bose, honored with a standing ovation, the whole assembly of several hundred stood up – except the 3 or 4 Indian government people.

If they felt embarrassed that is good; if they learned something that’s even better. But don’t hold your breath for it to happen.

I remember when soon after 1984, a Sikh who was serving as a high ranking member of the Indian government wrote me a scolding letter. His theme was that by writing about the anti-Sikh pogroms of 1984 I was making life difficult for Sikhs in India. I reminded him that living in the United states I was expected to -- and free to – have an opinion about Vietnam, Rwanda, Apartheid in South Africa, race and gender issues, why then should I hold my tongue on issues in India – because I was born there? He did not answer but then he sought me out on his next trip to America to reassure me to keep writing as I was doing. Said he, “Keep doing it. We can’t and we need it.”

I am reminded of Diwan Kaura Mull, a legendary Hindu or a Sehajdhari Sikh of the 18th century, who is even today remembered for his kindness and help to Sikhs during their worst times when their survival hung in the balance. But he served the Mughal government all his life, even in those difficult times. Someone like a mole he was but critically important to us, and we know it.

A fundamental of a conversation or a civilized exchange is to listen some and speak some as the Guru Granth recommends (p. 661): “Jab lug duniya raheeyae Nanak, kitchh suniyae kitchh kaheeyae. The idea is not to rush to judgment. It isn’t always easy. But when the mind is made up one has effectively closed off any and all discussion. The mouth is then open in speech, the ears are sealed shut. Judgment should come after the evidence is in and some attentive listening has been done, otherwise it is Alice in Wonderland we are living in – sentence first and trial afterwards, if at all.

Life isn’t all black or white; there is a lot of gray to it. I would let people do what they do. If what they do meets my approval I would celebrate it; if not, I would calmly explain why I disagree. But I would not undermine the good that they might attempt or attain.

From disagreements, sometimes passionate, arise ideas and progress. But nothing remains written in stone and new generations of Sikhs who will lead these institutions in time will find different ways to express their passion of Sikhi.

I close with an Americanism that I like very much and sums up my attitude precisely: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

.from Ij Singh's article:http://www.sikhnet.com/news/bafflement-our-many-splendored-reality

New York Gala Cancelled

Source: http://sikhchic.com/1984/new_york_gala_cancelled

New York Gala Cancelled

sikhchic.com received notification last night that the New York Gala scheduled for November 2, 2012 has now been cancelled.

Another date will be set after community consultations.

October 28, 2012

Conversation about this article

1: Manpreet Singh (Hyderabad, India), October 28, 2012, 5:42 AM.

As long as India's reps are not invited again ...!