Shastarvidiya - In West Midlands ?

Hammertime007

Breakdown of the Niddar vs Ustad Uptej Singh Fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zictTAHybqQ

“A fighter is as good as his performance “A quote used by many fighters, trainers and coaches around the whole martial arts world. To be a true warrior and martial artist one must continually push and challenge oneself, fighting and competing at every opportunity.

Niddar ‘the Sanatan Hindu master’ who has recently shot to mediocre fame through his ‘last warrior’propaganda in the western media is an interesting character. But what makes his tale more remarkable is his mysterious past and lack of actual combat or proof of authentic combat and real competition. Apart from the numerous training videos of him displaying beautiful and intricate techniques on students attacking him half-heartedly the only video of this last warrior niddar in action is a Gatka fight against Uptej Singh of the Akand Kirtani Jatha.

Here is a breakdown of the fight and a link to the actual video where you can see the action and judge the last warriors skills for your selves.

The 1 minute and 14 second long video begins with both niddar and Uptej Singh partaking in the traditional Gatka fatehnama and salutation dance. The first thing that springs to mind is why would the last warrior partake in a “British Raj-nurtured System of fighting shorn of its lethal aspect ‘chatka’” as his website puts it…..or did he not know this at the time?

Niddar appears in the video in the black jacket and pretty pink gathra carrying his 3ft tulwar (which he loses during the confrontation and is kindly handed back to him by a bystander at the end of the video). Uptej Singh is sporting the all blue chola dress and glasses. At this point is worth noting Uptej Singh has a smaller stick while niddar has what seems to be a 5 ft lathi. The weapon advantage is defiantly with the last warrior who has a definitive reach advantage and an obvious height and weight advantage. These factors alone should make the battle a piece of cake for the last warrior.

After swinging the light bamboo lathi around his head in the Fatehnama - a question sprang to mind from something I heard from one of his demo videos about not swinging around weapons in crowds and battle formations as they can easily hit the person next to you but here we see the last master do that very thing, oh well it must be one off (even the last warriors of their kind can get lazy). After swinging the lathi around in an Gatka student type manner the battle is set to begin.

Uptej Singh does a spinning back jump know as a chungi and there is now a substantial amount of distance between him and the last warrior.

The last warrior now has the greatest advantage 1) longer range weapon 2) the perfect distance to start using this weapon 3) height and weight advantage over smaller, weaker Uptej singh.

At 0.21 seconds niddars holds out the lathi straight in front of Uptej Singh (A fantastic photo opportunity here as it gives the impression niddar has Uptej Singh right in striking range and is delivering a lathi jab to the facial area)

Uptej Singh is fearless and furious in his attack misaligning niddars lathi strikes and putting the last warrior on the back foot, who backs off quickly almost bumping into the members of the sangat who were sitting by to watch this Gatka show.

Once Uptej Singh put niddar on the retreat he backs off slightly and the last warrior begins his suicidal death charge to which Ustad Uptej Singh responds with a spinning stick strike which catches the last warrior point blank in the neck/shoulder region @ 0.27 (please watch this vaar over and over as it is beautifully carried out with finesse and grace). Ignoring this strike the now embarrassed and frustrated last warrior carries on his rhino charge attack on Uptej Singh losing his lathi and at 0.30 secounds loses his very own tulwar from out of his scabbard. (Quite embossing for the last of his kind warrior master but just thank god he didn’t lose his kashera)

In a matter of seconds the last warrior has

1. Lost his optimal fighting range for his chosen weapon

2. Lost his chosen weapon

3. Lost his tulwar from his side

4. Lost his temper

A more suitable name for him would be “The LOST warrior”

After losing his weapons the outraged lost warrior clings to Uptej Singh who after a small scuffle gives up his back to the bigger stronger lost warrior.

A simple philosophy in martial arts is “once you have advantage….take advantage” and there is no bigger advantage than having an opponent’s back. There are countless fight finishers at this point from the rear naked choke to numerous strikes, locks and holds.

At 0.34 seconds the lost warrior in the best fight position he could ask for is now thrown over the smaller Uptej Singhs shoulder and now loses this position.

After being thrown over Uptej Singhs shoulder the irate lost warrior tries to fight hand to hand but this one and only fight of the infamous lost warrior is broken up by the singhs watching and @ 0.54 seconds niddar is handed back his tulwar which he lost during the fight . Tyar pur tyar indeed!

Overall I think the students of lost warrior are slightly lost and should really watch his one and only fight again and really see if he is as invincible as you claim him to be.

P.S. When I was in second grade a gora beat me up and since then I have hated goras, could being beat up by a AKJ justify niddars hate of the Jatha?? I wonder?

Please feel free to discuss the actual one and only fight of the last warriors below.

The above video has been discussed plenty of times...I believe the Uptej Singh video is from Holla Moholla years ago... Theres an interview in martial arts illustrated magazine from 2009 with Nidar SIngh where he talks about the video, you can find it linked below:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/index.php/topic/11200-nidar-singh-interview-in-mai/

Read the interview and decide for yourselves..also watch the Nidar SIngh video on lathi and stick techniques..he is quite clearly talking abiout the Uptej Singh incident in the commentary... Also ask yuorselves this,...why do you not see any high level martial artists of other combat arts endorsing Gatka or even associatibng themselves with Gatka or trying to learn it ?? The answer is because martiall skilled individuals can clearly see it;s an exhibition art...

The above video has been discussed plenty of times...I believe the Uptej Singh video is from Holla Moholla years ago... Theres an interview in martial arts illustrated magazine from 2009 with Nidar SIngh where he talks about the video, you can find it linked below:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/index.php/topic/11200-nidar-singh-interview-in-mai/

Read the interview and decide for yourselves..also watch the Nidar SIngh video on lathi and stick techniques..he is quite clearly talking abiout the Uptej Singh incident in the commentary... Also ask yuorselves this,...why do you not see any high level martial artists of other combat arts endorsing Gatka or even associatibng themselves with Gatka or trying to learn it ?? The answer is because martiall skilled individuals can clearly see it;s an exhibition art...

if an exhibition art gatka can humiliate ur master 'last sikh warrior' so badly then image wot real gatka can do to the whole giddar nang akhara UK.

if an exhibition art gatka can humiliate ur master 'last sikh warrior' so badly then image wot real gatka can do to the whole giddar nang akhara UK.

Have you read the article ? Nidar Singh went to Uptej Singhs akhara and challenged him, Uptej didn't accept.. Hadh torn challenge was also open for uptej Singh to accept... Again he hasn't taken up the challenge as far as I know.. There's nothing wrong with Gatka... But it needs to be accepted that it's a exhibition art not a combat system... Cannot be compared with shastar vidiya.

But it needs to be accepted that it's a exhibition art not a combat system... Cannot be compared with shastar vidiya.

the term "exhibition art" is misleading. It is swordplay, of sorts. I mean you can kill someone with it, so it must be more than just exhibition art.

but it cant be compared with shastarvidiya.

Have you read the article ? Nidar Singh went to Uptej Singhs akhara and challenged him, Uptej didn't accept.. Hadh torn challenge was also open for uptej Singh to accept... Again he hasn't taken up the challenge as far as I know.. There's nothing wrong with Gatka... But it needs to be accepted that it's a exhibition art not a combat system... Cannot be compared with shastar vidiya.

I can say I met nidar and beat him up.Whats the truth though?

im not a fan myself but whenever i see bandwagon like this forming based on hearsay im always wary. For all those singhs calling the guy a nang you should say it to his face (he very well maybe) but being an internet warrior never served any purpose!

as for the description of the fight in the video its definetly blurry but i would call uptej singh the weaker of the 2 from what i know he has a very good reputation as someone whos very strong!

im not a fan myself but whenever i see bandwagon like this forming based on hearsay im always wary. For all those singhs calling the guy a nang you should say it to his face (he very well maybe) but being an internet warrior never served any purpose!

as for the description of the fight in the video its definetly blurry but i would call uptej singh the weaker of the 2 from what i know he has a very good reputation as someone whos very strong!

That basically sums it up...no-body actually goes and discusses their issues face to face... The actual issue here is not the SV combat system it;s the ideoligy clashes.. Nidar SInghs belief set and his questioning of has offended members of AKJ etc..,who then start rubbish like that video posted above and the biased analysis post...not to mention that the video itself has been edited and cut..

I've even spoken to DDT groupies and other Gursikhs..who have admitted to me that they have no problem with the SV combat system infact they highly rate it...but they wont endorse due to Nidar Singhs sanatan belief set..

Which is fair enough, I dont have any issues in people having ideoligy clashes everyone is entitled to hold whatever beliefs they want and challenge anyone who they think may be purposely misrepresenting their faith.

That basically sums it up...no-body actually goes and discusses their issues face to face... The actual issue here is not the SV combat system it;s the ideoligy clashes.. Nidar SInghs belief set and his questioning of has offended members of AKJ etc..,who then start rubbish like that video posted above and the biased analysis post...not to mention that the video itself has been edited and cut..

I've even spoken to DDT groupies and other Gursikhs..who have admitted to me that they have no problem with the SV combat system infact they highly rate it...but they wont endorse due to Nidar Singhs sanatan belief set..

Which is fair enough, I dont have any issues in people having ideoligy clashes everyone is entitled to hold whatever beliefs they want and challenge anyone who they think may be purposely misrepresenting their faith.

Remember when I told you a couple of weeks back that you was a "liar, liar with his panties on fire" because you was telling porkies about your affiliation to Nadar nang and his Disneyland akahra! So much for being an independent who doesn't have any agenda.

Kully - I think you need to get your backside to specsavers mate! I don't have any affiliation to either of these guys in the video but even stupid old me can see that a little man flipped an fat man over his back after he was left in a compromising position!

I am and Internet warrior and proud of it! AND WHAT?? But don't be fooled because I am the the last living joothi vidiya master in the universe and I'm not scared to do what you bibi should have done a long time ago and take my joothiya to your backside ;-)