The Future Of Gurdwaras In Pakistan

Nankana Sahib, the birthplace of my Guru, is always on my mind. So are the other historical gurdwaras that are crumbling in Pakistan. What is the future of these Gurdwaras?

I have always despised facebook, but have since joined because i saw this guy, Syed Sarmad Sajjad, working for the restoration of these Gurdwaras.

What are the obstacles facing restoration?

What obstacles face the Sikhs after restoration, if we were to acheive it?

What will the Sikhs in 100 years time, feel about us Sikhs today, and our handling of this situation, if the Gurdwaras and their identities were to vanish from the face of this earth?

Get your thinkingTurbans on peeps.

What are your thoughts?

I am going to start with mine. The restoration is definitely possible from a financial point. The main obstacle would be getting the work done. Would it be done as per tradition as Kaar Sewa, or do we get contractors in. IF Kaar Sewa, is the Pakistan Govt going to allow thousands of Sikhs to cross the border to enter West Panjab?

Lets move on a step. Once/if they are restored, who is going to look after them?

Is Parkash going to happen?

What if we western Sikhs. paid Pakistani Sikh families to re-locate to these gurdwaras and maintain them.

But then the question begs, what about the sangat?

What would be the viability of running a gurdwara where the same 4 or 5 people of one family came twice or thrice a day?

Some gurdwaras have been turned into schools, and colleges, some police stations, what are the chances of getting those back? Maybe we would have to purchase them back?

For each gurdwara you would also need a granthi.

What about langar?

To run a gurdwara is not very easy. But what is the alternative for these Gurdwaras?

http://www.facebook....avethegurdwaras

• Like 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Become that one in a million my sibling. If you are not an Indian citizen, it is a thousand times easier to get access to Pakistan for such activities. Saving Gurdwaras for posterity is one thing and

Hi all. Wanted to bump this thread again and bring everyone news of a dismaying situation in Lahore, with the ShaheedGanj of Bhai Taru Singh being taken over by Barelvi muslims. Some years ago, a sect

These places aren't really gurdware anymore, a gurdwara is a doorway to the guru. The guru doesn't reside there anymore. Neither does any sangat. A place stays in good condition if it is used. We will

Posted Images

I also have a feeling that the gurudwaras in Pakistan will vanish... well not vanish but as you said, crumble. especially how sikhs r treated in pakistan by the government n talibans/al qaueedyaaas (however u spell it) there is hardly any sangat there, if you look in pictures taken nowadays there is only a few muslim locals who go and visit it. The only time a lot of sangat come is on Guru nanak dev jis gurpurab at nankana sahib...

its all in the hands of the sangat.

The problem I see is not that Sikhs are persecuted in Pakistan. In fact, I have heard Sikhs are treated good by the government and the locals compared to the Christians and Hindus. The Gurdwaras are crumbling because of lack of sangat in Pakistan. There are too few Sikhs in Pakistan to take care of the Gurdwaras. I think the Pakistani government should make a good will gesture to the Sikhs and give control of the Pakistani Gurdwaras to SGPC as it was before partition since the gov is unable to take care of the Sikh Gurdwaras. Another option is for Sikhs to do Parchar and increase their population. Their are literally millions of Hindus(mainly in Sindh) who can be brought into the Sikh fold.

I think the Pakistani government should make a good will gesture to the Sikhs and give control of the Pakistani Gurdwaras to SGPC as it was before partition since the gov is unable to take care of the Sikh Gurdwaras. Another option is for Sikhs to do Parchar and increase their population. Their are literally millions of Hindus(mainly in Sindh) who can be brought into the Sikh fold.

th SGPC did nothing to maintain any of these gurdwaras in pakistan. they went there for the money only that the Gurpurab generated. This is why the Pakistan SGPC came into being but that was only a short -term entity.

There are 2 million Hindus in Sindh, but would they become Sikhs to save your gurdwaras? That is probably a long drawn process to get them in enough numbers to make a difference. Assuming that also any of them would want to move to Panjab that is.

What about restoring Gurdwaras as places of historical interest only then? The buildings were restored but not functioning as Gurdwaras?

LIke in UK how castles and stately homes are restored but belong to the Heritage Trust. They are not in use much, castles especially but essential to maintain from a historical point. Stately homes are now renovated from a purely historical angle as well.

Would you be happy, or happier even, if this were to happen, than the present situation of the Pakistani Gurdwaras?

After we would still have the historic buildings in existence. When the fortunes change, we could start parkash again.

I wonder what the Sikhs in 100 years time will think of us, when they can only locate 5 gurdwaras in Pakistan.

how would this go down with those sections of pakistan that dont like sikhs?

amongst the Sindhi Hindus of Pakistan? from what I have heard they are like Mona Sikhs. While they are treated like $hit by the Pak government and people,the Sikhs are treated good. Just some parchar I don't see why Sikh population cannot increase.

• Like 1

Here's an idea, immigrate to Pakistan and take charge of a gurdwara! There are hundreds of gurdwaras maintained by single singhs with very limited resources. This guy does it in chail: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chail_Gurudwara

The problem I see is not that Sikhs are persecuted in Pakistan. In fact, I have heard Sikhs are treated good by the government and the locals compared to the Christians and Hindus. The Gurdwaras are crumbling because of lack of sangat in Pakistan. There are too few Sikhs in Pakistan to take care of the Gurdwaras. I think the Pakistani government should make a good will gesture to the Sikhs and give control of the Pakistani Gurdwaras to SGPC as it was before partition since the gov is unable to take care of the Sikh Gurdwaras. Another option is for Sikhs to do Parchar and increase their population. Their are literally millions of Hindus(mainly in Sindh) who can be brought into the Sikh fold.

Valid points veerji. What's the harm in doing parchar? Especially in big cities, there is very little faith amongst the youth, they're all into sex and drugs and manmat things like any faithless society. A modern faith can be a big appeal to youth who are not interested in islam clearly.

The Chail Gurdwara example is amazing, but these people are like 1 in a million. We need more of a community based approach with the Pakistan Gursdwaras as there are many in number and in dire need of repair.

I'm disappointed that so few Sikhs have posted their views and feelings on this subject.

True say, but i have to disagree with the sentimental part, as Guru Sahibs gave many personal artefacts to their followers(not sikhs only) which they have treasured to this day. But Guru Ji could have said, "leave it, it will perish one day" as well.

No object will last forever, all the objects even if carefully preserved will perish in the end. For a sikh, if he cannot take something with him in the end it is useless to treasure it. Respect yes, look after if it serves a purpose sure, treasure, no. The Gurus teachings, Actions and good deeds, love for God etc will go in the end, so this is highly treasured. It is these teachings which teach importance to be detached life above material things and sentiments. The stories that are allegedly told about said objects given to people were (even as said stories admit) to remember the Guru and his teachings by, not to be worshipped, placed on view for darshan etc like they are today. Nowhere has the Guru said 'keep this object for as long as you can', but he has said forever keep alive the message of God, the sikh path, etc.

• Like 1

One thing i have noticed from my facebook page is that a LOT of Sikhs simply had no idea these gurdwaras actually exist. A lot of people I have spoken to, youngsters mainly, had no idea that these gurdwaras exist?

How many SIkhs friends are there on YOUR facebook that could be informed about these?

Have YOU joined this group and like it ?