The Sikhs Of Kerala

Mehtab Singh

SGPC failed us. We failed Guru Nanak Sahibs mission 'aap japeh avreh naam japaveh'.

Indian Express - 31 October 2000
SGPC let me down, says Tamil Sikh

DHARMENDRA RATAUL

AMRITSAR, OCT 30: Kandasamy Singh, a Tamil who adopted the Sikh faith is running from pillar to post to collect his dues standing against Shiromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC). He was appointed a parcharak (religious preacher) by the former president of the SGPC, Gurcharan Singh Tohra. He said that when he went to the SGPC office today, the officials refused to talk to him saying the president who appointed him had been changed and his name had been deleted from the list.

Kandasamy who lodged a written complaint with the SGPC president and sent a copy to the secretary, said that he was astonished to see the behaviour of the SGPC officials.``I was appointed parcharak by Tohra who asked me to propagate the tenets of Sikhism in the distant land of Tamils. I organised various Guru Ka Langars in the rural areas and also operated a mobile library in Marai Malai Nagar in Tamil Nadu but I was told today that my name had been deleted because the president had been changed,'' he said.

He further disclosed that he was influenced by Sikhism and adopted the religion in 1996 when he came to see his brother in Delhi who was a tailor in Karol Bagh.``I was eager to visit the Golden Temple and came here in 1998. I met Tohra who was so impressed with my conviction that he asked me if I could take up the task of teaching Sikhism in my native state. I accepted his offer and even underwent training in the Gurudwara here and at Chandigarh,'' he said.

He further said that Tohra promised to give him Rs 4000 per month for the expenditure on various promotional activities. ``But I was so engrossed with the propagation work that I never demanded any money and today when I approached the secretary of SGPC, Gurbachan Singh Bachan, he refused to talk to me. When I approached the officials of Dharam Parchar Committee (DPC) they embarrassed me by saying they do not know English and I should talk to them in Punjabi instead,'' he said.

He said that he was going to meet Simranjeet Singh Mann at his village tomorrow and would also lodge a complaint with the Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.

``I am an advocate by profession and was delighted to adopt the Sikh way of life but the attitude of the SGPC and of the DPC was astonishing. Instead of rewarding me for my translation of Sikh history into Tamil I was meted out humiliating treatment in the committee office,'' he said.

When Contacted Gurbachan Singh Bachan, Secretary, SGPC, said that he did not remember meeting Kandasamy Singh but he would definitely go through the complaint letter written to the president.``It is wrong to say that he was meted out such treatment because he was appointed by a former president.

There is more than 90 per cent of the preachers appointed by Tohra and it did not mean that we would treat them discriminately. I would personally look into the matter and his grievances would be redressed,'' said Bachan.

Another message we should get involved in issues outside Punjab . During Jaats - Muslims riots jaats were talking about no support from Sikhs why ? Jaat are not extremist Hindus and i think we miss the opportunity by not sending team to help Jaats victims of riots

Why should sikhs participate in riots siding with any faction? It is absurd to have such thinking.

I have nothing against any community. But let me tell you that sajjan kumar the killer of sikhs in Delhi

is also a jat.

Can you name the person who told you that jats said like what you are saying here.

Another message we should get involved in issues outside Punjab . During Jaats - Muslims riots jaats were talking about no support from Sikhs why ? Jaat are not extremist Hindus and i think we miss the opportunity by not sending team to help Jaats victims of riots

When Sikhs were being butchered in 1984, where were the Jaats then? I see no reason for Sikhs to get involved in this. Staying neutral between Hindus and Muslims right now is the best policy. Instead Sikhs should do Sikhi Da Parchar to both Hindus and Muslims. Once they become Sikhs, the Hindu-Muslim conflict will finish on it's own :biggrin2:

Why should sikhs participate in riots siding with any faction? It is absurd to have such thinking.

I have nothing against any community. But let me tell you that sajjan kumar the killer of sikhs in Delhi

is also a jat.

Can you name the person who told you that jats said like what you are saying here.

This is from jaat forum :

Jats of western UP are getting marginalized politically and now even our daughters and sisters are not safe. What is the way out when media is anti Jat and vote bank politics too is not coming to our support ? There is urgent need to think of something different. Here is my take;

1. Time for castes like Gujjar and Jats to forge closer bond of matrimony alliance as we already have Hukka alliance.

2. Look seriously into the possibility of offering eldest male child to become Sikh like what our elders did during Mughal period or else convert to Sikhism enemas and take head on with Islamic fanatics.

In my view this is the time to act ad take radical step, lest its too late.

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?36359-Communal-Tension-in-Muzaffarnagar-Shamli-of-west-UP/page8

The 1930s and early 1940s was a great time for Sikhi parchar. The resources of the Gurdwaras had been taken from the corrupt Mahants and the SGPC and Nankana Sahib estate were seting up parchar centres in many places outside Punjab, Apart from the Ambedkar near conversion there was also mass conversions in UP and South India. I was reading a book which quoted a caste Hindu's letter sent to the congress complaining about the lakhs of lower caste Hindus who were becoming Sikhs in UP.

As for the Hindu Jaats there is nothing surprising in that some may be interested in becoming Sikhs. In the 1920s the editor of Sir Chottu Ram's newspaper was a Hindu Jaat who had converted to Sikhism. In 1931 thousands of Pachhada Jats in Moradabad in UP registered themselves as Sikhs in the census of that year.

In fact had it not be the alternative offered by joining the Arya Samaj, it is probable that a lot of Hindu Jaats would have become Sikhs just as the Hindu Jats of Punjab had done.