Sikhs and meat

H4RPAL

lol, this is a pretty funny thread.

I suggest for a REAL debate on this issue, DO A SEARCH. We have had real knowledgable gursikhs put forth their views on this forum and you will learn a lot.

For one thing, meat eating is condemned in gurbani many times. I suggest you do a search.

Meat was never served in langar. Nor did guru nanak dev jee ever serve meat.

Fact is, there isnt a shred of historical evidence to prove it.

The fact that guru Hargobind Sahib wrote Maas Machee De Nere Nahi Avana in the letterhead OF EVERY HUKAMNAMA HE EVER WROTE, proves its wrong. Thats MORE THAN enough for me.

Meat food will seriously destroy your bhagti and any good karams you may have had.

Regarding naam simran, simranjot singh, you seem to have a strange view here. Even today many many gursikhs exist who will get through tough circumstances with naam abhyaas. I know of many myself. It's not very hard, and it doesnt require any sort of high avastha. Fact is, just by taking amrit, you have increased your avastha to a point that naam abhyaas should ALWAYS have an effect on you, unless you do not regularly practice it or do nitnem or have committed kuraits.. even THEN it should have an effect on you.

Its not hard to go hungry for some time. I mean as a sarbloh bibeki, I almost never have food when I go to school. I just eat a bowl of dal and some nuts in the morning and didnt get any food until like midnight sometimes. So what? big deal. Im no gursikh, ask anyone you know.

Sikhi is more important than trivial things like eating.

Something I wrote on my blog recently:

Relative Morality

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

I just went to a chinese store with a Singh and they were selling some disgusting things. Baby Octopus, all sorts of parts of different animals etc..

So this brought up, is morality relative? I say: No. Gurmat says: No. A canibal may think it is perfectly alright to eat another human's flesh, just as a meat eater may think it is moral to eat meat of another animal, letting it suffer in pain. But after leaving that store today, I have come to the conclusion that anyone that eats meat is immoral and heartless.

I know that may be a mean thing to say, but seeing the way people can treat animals and chew on flesh that might just as well be their own, I cannot help but say that. To me, one who eats the meat of an animal is the exact same as one who eats the meat of a human. They look the same to me. Do they not bleed the same blood? sweat the same sweat? cry the same tears?

Gurmat is on my side on this and my heart is pained (and my mind grossed out) whenever I see others eating meat.

I'm not going to bore you with a long lecture on why its wrong or everything guru sahib says about it. So, in conclusion, meat eaters are immoral and heartless and theres no way around it.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

We dont even need to eat meat when we have such nice vegetarian foods available!

Bhagat Kabeer ji puts it this way:

kbIr KUbu Kwnw KIcrI jw mih AMimRqu lonu ]

kabeer khoob khaanaa kheecharee jaa mehi a(n)mrith lon ||

Kabeer, the dinner of beans and rice is excellent, if it is flavored with salt.

hyrw rotI kwrny glw ktwvY kaunu ]188]

haeraa rottee kaaranae galaa kattaavai koun ||188||

Who would cut his throat, to have meat with his bread? ||188||

About the meat at langar fallacy. Is it not true that Sata & Balvanda in their Vaars talk about langar, and mentioning the foods present in langar? I'm not sure about this, but I believe it is the casethey talk about what was present in Guru-ka-langar at the time- definately no meat there!

Med Student here :wub:

Ram I think this is the theory your talking about

Dr D’Adamo believes our blood group determines how our bodies deal with different nutrients. His theory is based on the idea that each blood group has its own unique antigen marker (a substance that the body recognises as being alien) and this marker reacts badly with certain foods, leading to all sorts of potential health problems. Furthermore, Dr D’Adamo believes that levels of stomach acidity and digestive enzymes are linked with your blood type.

Dr D’Adamo believes that because blood types evolved at different times throughout history, we should eat a diet based on the types of foods our ancestors typically ate at the time when our blood type was first recognised!

And I think you mean according to this persons theory that it is people with blood group O who need to eat meat... Dr D’Adamo says that our digestive tract retains the memory of ancient times, and so type Os need to eat a typical hunter-gatherer type diet.

In other words, type Os should follow a high-protein, low-carb diet with lots of meat and fish but no dairy products, wheat or grains....whats strange is that O is the most commmon blood group in Uk...so accordding to this mans theory most of Uk should become meat-eaters LOL.gifLOL.gif

According to his theory people with blood group A, digestive system is apparently very good at remembering that our ancestors had settled, farming lifestyles, which included eating lots of grains and vegetables but little meat. Consequently, blood type A’s should follow a vegetarian diet but still avoid dairy products. This means nuts, seeds, beans, cereals, pasta, rice, fruit and veg are all on the ‘to eat’ list.

Judt to inform everyone on this forum..that this theory is wrong....its just something i think he dreamt up blush.gif .

Medical experts universally agree that the theory is nonsense, and say there is absolutely no link between our blood group and the diet we eat.
:@

thank u veerji, to tell u the truth i felt there was :e: :nihungsmile: :T: something fishy about this theory now i am sure. :wub:

if u are fighting a HOLY wat, dharm yudh, then u may, if u wish, kill the strongest animal around by doing ardaas, and then killing the animal in one swift hit

only then may it be done, and thas it u wish

But how come only this kurehit is waived during war, and not any other kurehit?

How come Bani says no to meat, no matter what kind it is? You yourself said it is higher than everything else.

HOw come singhs singhneeaa are not allowed to cut their hair, just so they can save their lives, but can eat meat? THat does not make sense bhaji, please explain further.

Vegetarian ==>great! Meat ==> sure, if you can’t get a vegetarian diet!

If gurbani does not compromise on this issue, how can we as Sikhs use or own mat to compromise on it?

if u are fighting a HOLY wat, dharm yudh, then u may, if u wish, kill the strongest animal around by doing ardaas, and then killing the animal in one swift hit

only then may it be done, and thas it u wish

But how come only this kurehit is waived during war, and not any other kurehit?

How come Bani says no to meat, no matter what kind it is? You yourself said it is higher than everything else.

HOw come singhs singhneeaa are not allowed to cut their hair, just so they can save their lives, but can eat meat? THat does not make sense bhaji, please explain further.

This is exactly what i was trying to ask earliar... this DOES NOT make sense... :wub:

Bhujangan,

First let me state that I’m a vegetarian. Is say this so you don’t think my statements are to just support any specific diet.

The kurahit is kuthha. I know some Sikhs will take kuthha to mean halal, while others take kuthha to mean meat.

This is what the confusion is all about.

I don’t know if you’ve studied Gurbani, but you should do a search for yourself with the word “meat”. The most important, and lengthy, is a shabad written by Guru Nanak Dev ji which deals with maas. Read it and contemplate on it. Your views will be changed.

What I can understand, with my limited understanding which may be wrong, is that Guru ji preferred a vegetarian diet, but did not restrict meat. In some parts of the world a vegetarian diet can’t sustain the individual. In some situations, like war or other hard times, meat becomes the only option. You can’t compare meat to kesh because Guru ji has never said anything about compromising on Kesh.

Also remember the words of Guru Nanak “maas maas kar moorakh jhagaray”. Perhaps, just perhaps, meat isn’t the terrible sin that some vegetarians make it out to mean. On the other hand, Guru Ji has never spoken about compromising on kesh, adultery, and tobacco.