How Is The Jathedar Of Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib Chosen?

I am curious about the procedure. Is there some sort of Gurmata passed, or is there a minimum qualification required? Who chooses the Jathedar? What credentials are kept in mind when choosing? Who has the authority to choose? Etc. etc.

Please share if you are aware

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard nowadays, its given to the person who has longest tongue and best knee pads......gone r the days when the jathedari is given to a genuine carer and independent thinking person, who's intention

This guy very beautifully captured the situation in Pakistan but there are a lot of salient points for us although we as a kaum have not been totally unproductive in the education, sciences etc 1. d

Yes I found a video about Jathedar Gurdev Singh Kaunke. I was shocked that in 1986 he was able to be picked within all the indian government agents coming in and stopping Sikh activities here and ther

Posted Images

I am curious about the procedure. Is there some sort of Gurmata passed, or is there a minimum qualification required? Who chooses the Jathedar? What credentials are kept in mind when choosing? Who has the authority to choose? Etc. etc.

Thanks

same I too would like an answer or the ideal answer ?

Such is the state of Guru Sahib's qaum? If this was a spicy topic we would have been on the 4th page by now! But I ask a genuine question and for 21 hours no one has an answer?

Guru Sahib jee! Baksh lavo te bachaa lavo!

maybe Veer ji , it's a sad indication that question has most ordinary Sikhs stymied ...we can see how they were selected in the past by merit, kamai and character. but these days the qualities are non-exsistent no zameer, no daleri, little kamai, just a puppet yes man. i feel likr crying thinking on it...how far we have fallen

Bhenji you see how shameful this looks? We don't even know who appoints the man supposed to be the "POPE" of the Khalsa Panth, we don't know what merits/credentials he is supposed to have in order to get there.

I wish atleast one person knew, so that we could brainstorm and extract the root cause of where we may have been wrong all along. We could prepare a list of what we need to work on as a Panth. But alas.....

Now my next question, since none of us have any clue how this procedure works, who is to blame this time? Ok let me sugarcoat it, who do we blame for our own ignorance about this crucial procedure?

Bhenji you see how shameful this looks? We don't even know who appoints the man supposed to be the "POPE" of the Khalsa Panth, we don't know what merits/credentials he is supposed to have in order to get there.

I wish atleast one person knew, so that we could brainstorm and extract the root cause of where we may have been wrong all along. We could prepare a list of what we need to work on as a Panth. But alas.....

Now my next question, since none of us have any clue how this procedure works, who is to blame this time? Ok let me sugarcoat it, who do we blame for our own ignorance about this crucial procedure?

The SPGC has changed a lot of things in the three decades since they allowed the enemy into the heart of our kaum's affairs; we have lost touch with historical precedents and the true operational might of the khalsa because we blindly trusted them to do right. that is our fault, we as a kaum never thought 'hold on these scum are alive though thousands died in 84, they allowed the govt to destroy and loot the reference library how??' obviously an administration who is baying for all sikhs blood should be uniformly against all sikhs in that situation not sparing the handful ...those are the collaborators and do not deserve to live since they abandoned their duty to the kaum at its hour of need.

• Like 1

Please forgive me if you guys are not very familiar with Urdu. Listen to what Mr. Hassan Nisar is saying here about Islamic history. Does it ring a bell? Try to see it from a Sikh perspective and ask yourself: Have we fallen into the same trap?

If you don't understand Urdu please carry on in some other thread.

Thanks

• Like 1

From what I know of history there was never a jathedar only until 20th century and SGPC raj ....up until 1920s/30s SARBAT KHALSA was called and punj piarey would issue hukamnama to panth. I would agree to that only once we found the wolves in sheep's clothing and did their sodha as prescribed in Bhai Chaupa Singh rehitnama under the section describing what is to come .

Thanks

I too am curious about this. It seems we are a very desi community that makes strange decisions. For example, what qualifications did Jathedar Ranjit Singh Ji have? Is the only reason he became Jathedar because he assassinated the Niranakri leader? That makes no sense at all. Same applies for people requesting Rajoana to be Jathedar...this is why we're so behind. Desi mentality.

I think Badal calls the shots these days... But here's another way to look at things: what if Jathedar Gurbachan Singh is actually a good person and is trying his hardest to do well, given the current scenario in the Panth. Maybe he knows that if he speaks up against Badal, he will get replaced by one of Badal's men, who could do a lot of damage to the Panth. Maybe his hands are tied and he knows that things could be worse if someone replaces him. I have met Jathedar Ji many years ago and he seemed like a very knowledgeable and Panthic person. (but that's just based on a short conversation)

I also don't agree with Bhai Gurbaksh Singh always blaming the Jathedar for the Singhs not coming out of jail. Does the Jathedar hold the jail keys? Maybe he tried and the government gave a flat out "no". How's that his fault? Maybe he fears that if he speaks up, he will get replaced by an anti Panthic person? Our people are known for making quick and emotional decisions without putting much thought into it. For example, the Canadian and USA sangat decided that whichever kathavachak, kirtani etc doesn't visit Bhai Gurbaksh Singh Ji will not be able to do parchar in Canada and USA. For the next few days people started flooding Amb sahib. All the parcharaks who had not come for the first month suddenly dropped everything to rush there to make sure they can come to Canada. THAT is Desi mentality. What if a kathavachak couldn't come because they are caring for a sick family member? What if they don't agree with hunger strikes? What if they are travelling to other parts of Punjab to do parchar? This is the kind of thinking that is hurting us so badly as a kaum. We don't use out minds. We just get emotional and start making noise. Whether it's choosing our leaders, putting up marble Gurdwaras over our history, or beating up pakhandi babay... We are just so Desi. I think we will progress when we are ready to put our heads together and actually make well thought out decisions. Buy that doesn't seem like it's happening anywhere.

• Like 2

I too am curious about this. It seems we are a very desi community that makes strange decisions. For example, what qualifications did Jathedar Ranjit Singh Ji have? Is the only reason he became Jathedar because he assassinated the Niranakri leader? That makes no sense at all. Same applies for people requesting Rajoana to be Jathedar...this is why we're so behind. Desi mentality.

No, this is not the way to look at it....these two gursikhs did not stand for either injustice or insult to our Guru that is the kind of Calibre of Gursikh we Should have as caretaker of our political throne. They put their Guru's bachan and kaum ahead of self-interest. Next you'll be suggesting people shouldn't acknowledge Sant ji because of DESI mentality...please measure by Guru's definition of what a sikh should be.

I think Badal calls the shots these days... But here's another way to look at things: what if Jathedar Gurbachan Singh is actually a good person and is trying his hardest to do well, given the current scenario in the Panth. Maybe he knows that if he speaks up against Badal, he will get replaced by one of Badal's men, who could do a lot of damage to the Panth. Maybe his hands are tied and he knows that things could be worse if someone replaces him. I have met Jathedar Ji many years ago and he seemed like a very knowledgeable and Panthic person. (but that's just based on a short conversation)

He knows that he cannot issue hukamnamey to the panth without sarbat khalsa, and he should never bow to political machinations of individuals, the last jathedar was removed wasn't he because he spoke his mind ? so maybe this Gurbachan Singh is already Badal's man

I also don't agree with Bhai Gurbaksh Singh always blaming the Jathedar for the Singhs not coming out of jail. Does the Jathedar hold the jail keys? Maybe he tried and the government gave a flat out "no". How's that his fault? Maybe he fears that if he speaks up, he will get replaced by an anti Panthic person? Our people are known for making quick and emotional decisions without putting much thought into it. For example, the Canadian and USA sangat decided that whichever kathavachak, kirtani etc doesn't visit Bhai Gurbaksh Singh Ji will not be able to do parchar in Canada and USA. For the next few days people started flooding Amb sahib. All the parcharaks who had not come for the first month suddenly dropped everything to rush there to make sure they can come to Canada. THAT is Desi mentality. What if a kathavachak couldn't come because they are caring for a sick family member? What if they don't agree with hunger strikes? What if they are travelling to other parts of Punjab to do parchar? This is the kind of thinking that is hurting us so badly as a kaum. We don't use out minds. We just get emotional and start making noise. Whether it's choosing our leaders, putting up marble Gurdwaras over our history, or beating up pakhandi babay... We are just so Desi. I think we will progress when we are ready to put our heads together and actually make well thought out decisions. Buy that doesn't seem like it's happen

ing anywhere.

Bhai Gurbaksh Singh knows these guys of the SGPC and Dal very very well they interfered with his last strike and again tried to do the same this time . He has every right to question why Jathedar has not created a chetna to world sangat to get behind the demand for the release of our Brothers who have done their time, everyone has that right as a part of the Kaum.

I cannot speak for the paise/fame hungry, if you are only visiting because of your wallet then that says a lot about what importance you hold your suffering Sikh brothers and sisters and just how much lack you have in the basic level of courage, compassion and love for truth. As for those in far away lands look at the kamai, rehit and jiwani of a gursikh before giving any kind of special treatment. Sikhi has become an exercise in eyewashing for the masses, it needs to crack down hard on surplus expenditure on building projects and invest in the calibre of SIkhs, creating future millions of well-educated Gursikhs in all fields of endeavour.