Sikh Event For Non Sikhs

Big_Tera

I will be hosting a Sikh event for Non Sikhs.It is actually more of an experience for them to see what it is like to celebrate a Sikh religious occasion in a Gurdwara.This will be centered around East or central London.

At the moment I have the idea of taking the group to the the Gurdwara for Guru Nanaks Birthday celebration.Could anyone give some suggestions. ie the best time to visit the Gurdwara for this occasion. ie daytime or evening? Or if Anyone has a particular suggestion of particular Gurdwara in London to visit for the event that have programs running and dates/times for these. This would be greatly appreciated.

I was planning on contacting my local Gurdwara also but I am not sure how they would feel if a group of white/non Sikh people turned up for a religious occasion on a busy day.

Hi,

I would contact some of the larger Gurdwaras, what about Havlock Road Southall?

There should be no problem with you taking a party to the Gurdwara I would just let them know you are bringing a party. Havelock Road has a steady stream of non-Sikhs going to the Gurdwara so they are well used to it.

Take them when ever is convenient, but early evening would be good as there should be lots of sangat and probably lots for the visitors ot see and eat! They can listen to the kirtan.

There is no problem with visitors at Gurdwaras, in fact most people are very welcoming.

You can explain :

Sewa

Jorra taken off.

Darbar Sahib

Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Kirtan.

Sangat

Langar

Langar sewa and historical creation by Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Library

Nishan Sahib

Hope all goes well for you. Keep the dialogue lively and interesting and engage with the visitors and show your enthusiasm of your faith. You are doing good sewa.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

It may be advisable to do this on a day with fewer Sangat or right before the Gurpurab divan. You would get more compliance with the committee (who may already be very busy with preparations for the Gurpurab), get the visiting group to focus on what you are saying and be able to easily navigate the Gurudwara and its related facilities (langar hall, Nishan Sahib, sarovar?, etc.).

If done right before the Gurpurab, you can do the tour/presentation and the group could stay for the Gurpurab divan.

When we (local Sangat in California) have done this before, we typically choose either a weekday or a Saturday in the afternoon as there is no divan, the Gurdwara is quiet and you can effectively do whatever you need in the Gurdwara without any issue or conflicts.

London Gurudwaras all typically have an evening divan daily - you could do this right before the divan starts. The visiting group can then see your talk turn into action.

Bundha's list of of topics/areas to touch upon is pretty comprehensive. Some very high level history would be good to provide. Our typical format (Sikhism definition - brief history - creation of Khalsa - physical identity/Kakkars - beliefs - modern times history/history in the local region where the presentation is done). A walking tour starting from the outside of the Gurudwara and working their way in like any devotee visiting would also keep them engaged, participating and interested.

Reinforcing that they are not required to to anything they do not want to (barring the taking shoes off, covering your head, no alcohol/drugs on their person or partaken of and being generally respectful and quiet per your instructions as you lead them on their journey) would establish some general ground rules for their visit and put them at ease about what they can and cannot do.

Above posts of Bunda Ji and MS514 Ji great feedback. Some gurdwaras have special visits for school children. If you follow the principles of that and get the group involved, sitting in Darbar Sahib Ji for a bit, taking them into langar hall and letting them experience the sangat and Gurdwara themselves, again like above posters have said, at a less busy time. But could also be there for the Gurpurab celebrations too.

Show practically how seva is done, give example of darbar sahib how many thousands of people partake in langar (free kitchen and food) and get fed everyday without any expectations in return.

Also meditation/naam simran is a topic which is often missed as sikhs get more carried away on accomplishments, soldier aspect. Provide verses on akaal ustat on non duality essence of our dharam how in sikhism god is not someone who is up in the sky somewhere but rather one in all, all in one - divine pure consciousness JOT(light/divine knowledge) in all, merciful , graceful can be directly realized by meditation on naam (pure consciousness within all). Tell them Sikhi is less about conceptualization or philosophy more about actual practicality of seva (manual selfless service) and naam simran direct remembrance of truth/ experience/realization of Ikoankar/Vahiguru JOT saroop (fundamental universal changeless underlining truth/reality).

I know some of terms may be too complex too use but do mentioned this -

how in sikhism god is not someone who is up in the sky somewhere but rather one in all, all in one - divine pure consciousness JOT(light/divine knowledge) in all, merciful , graceful can be directly realized by meditation on naam (pure consciousness within all).

Hi,

I would contact some of the larger Gurdwaras, what about Havlock Road Southall?

There should be no problem with you taking a party to the Gurdwara I would just let them know you are bringing a party. Havelock Road has a steady stream of non-Sikhs going to the Gurdwara so they are well used to it.

Take them when ever is convenient, but early evening would be good as there should be lots of sangat and probably lots for the visitors ot see and eat! They can listen to the kirtan.

There is no problem with visitors at Gurdwaras, in fact most people are very welcoming.

You can explain :

Sewa

Jorra taken off.

Darbar Sahib

Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Kirtan.

Sangat

Langar

Langar sewa and historical creation by Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Library

Nishan Sahib

Hope all goes well for you. Keep the dialogue lively and interesting and engage with the visitors and show your enthusiasm of your faith. You are doing good sewa.

Thanks that was very helpful, yes the southalll Gurdwara is one i was thinking of as its well known. its a bit out of london though. maybe one in central london would be more easier to get to for everyone. but yep thats helped alot and gave me some ideas on what to discuss.

What is the definition of Sewa and as I will probably get asked this question?

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

It may be advisable to do this on a day with fewer Sangat or right before the Gurpurab divan. You would get more compliance with the committee (who may already be very busy with preparations for the Gurpurab), get the visiting group to focus on what you are saying and be able to easily navigate the Gurudwara and its related facilities (langar hall, Nishan Sahib, sarovar?, etc.).

If done right before the Gurpurab, you can do the tour/presentation and the group could stay for the Gurpurab divan.

When we (local Sangat in California) have done this before, we typically choose either a weekday or a Saturday in the afternoon as there is no divan, the Gurdwara is quiet and you can effectively do whatever you need in the Gurdwara without any issue or conflicts.

London Gurudwaras all typically have an evening divan daily - you could do this right before the divan starts. The visiting group can then see your talk turn into action.

Bundha's list of of topics/areas to touch upon is pretty comprehensive. Some very high level history would be good to provide. Our typical format (Sikhism definition - brief history - creation of Khalsa - physical identity/Kakkars - beliefs - modern times history/history in the local region where the presentation is done). A walking tour starting from the outside of the Gurudwara and working their way in like any devotee visiting would also keep them engaged, participating and interested.

Reinforcing that they are not required to to anything they do not want to (barring the taking shoes off, covering your head, no alcohol/drugs on their person or partaken of and being generally respectful and quiet per your instructions as you lead them on their journey) would establish some general ground rules for their visit and put them at ease about what they can and cannot do.

I think I have the day fully planned due to your advice. That was very helpful and informative. .

Im still planning the event with the another organiser who actually happens to be Jewish. She suggested The Birthday event. As people will be more interested in attending if its a special day were some kind of religious worship will take place. Yes I may need to take a tour of the Gurdwara myself first so that I know where everything is located.