Is Islam

Big_Tera

I think everyone is missing the point we were always meant to spread widely and to farflung reachs ... think about it we each are meant to be ambassadors of SIkhi , that's why we are supposed to be tyaar bar tyaar, amritdhari , vidhvan, sujhvan Gursikhs ...we are supposed to raise our game not let it get to lowest common denominator : the name and racial phenotype. Ghar ghar andar Dharamsal hoe kirtan sada vasoa .....every Sikh home is supposed to be a place of learning sikhi and doing bhagti ...the roadmap is there just got to have faith enough to follow it ...

I think a lot of Sikhs have a dilemma.

1.)There is a group of Sikhs who would think that having a Sikh stronghold or a highly concentrated areas of Sikhs where we would feel safer in numbers in case the sh** hits the fan.

2.)Then there is another group of Sikhs that would think that is not the right way and that we should spread out far and wide and mix and mingle.

The propenents of the first point would think that the propenents of point 2 are spread far too thin and will leave themselves exposed and unprotected. I know that some prominent Sikh figures on social media have mentioned it would be better if the 15000 Sikhs in Paris were concentrated in one area rather than being spread out particularly after the recent attacks.

The propenents of point 2 would argue that the proponents of point 1 are far too insulated and isolating themselves from the rest of society and this alienation will cause greater problems in the future.

The Sikh answer to this dilemma is there needs to be some kind of balance.

Though I agree with some of Dally's sentiments, I think that as a community we have moved on from that kind of thinking.

My father and relatives were involved in the Southall riots in 1977 and 1981 and some of our people are still stuck in the 1980s, problem is that it is now 2015. That is over 30 years ago.

Since then we've had new generations born in this country and they are not going to share those same views because those older generations have made sure that their children and grandchildren do not have to go through what they had to endure.

We are no longer a working class blue collar community we are increasingly a middle class or at least an aspiring middle class community.

1.)There is a group of Sikhs who would think that having a Sikh stronghold or a highly concentrated areas of Sikhs where we would feel safer in numbers in case the sh** hits the fan.

2.)Then there is another group of Sikhs that would think that is not the right way and that we should spread out far and wide and mix and mingle.

The propenents of the first point would think that the propenents of point 2 are spread far too thin and will leave themselves exposed and unprotected. I know that some prominent Sikh figures on social media have mentioned it would be better if the 15000 Sikhs in Paris were concentrated in one area rather than being spread out particularly after the recent attacks.

The propenents of point 2 would argue that the proponents of point 1 are far too insulated and isolating themselves from the rest of society and this alienation will cause greater problems in the future.

Though I agree with some of Dally's sentiments, I think that as a community we have moved on from that kind of thinking.

My father and relatives were involved in the Southall riots in 1977 and 1981 and some of our people are still stuck in the 1980s, problem is that it is now 2015. That is over 30 years ago.

Since then we've had new generations born in this country and they are not going to share those same views because those older generations have made sure that their children and grandchildren do not have to go through what they had to endure.

We are no longer a working class blue collar community we are increasingly a middle class or at least an aspiring middle class community.

there is also the point is if we are nomadic and not stuck in one location more people will get to know sikhs and Sikhi from outside our community, plus the safety in numbers thing did not work for Delhi or Punjab , we have to be strong in ourselves and our smaller family units as well as the larger groups

tell that to jagwahsingh who thinks most sikhs are poor like him and live in council estate areas.

the estates is where all the conversions happen. out in the middle class sticks people are generally alot safer.

nah ...the challenges of living on the estate kept us away from the bad influences and dodgy dawah folks...sikhs do better where they are challenged to stand their ground , where you have too much soft life , people start to get dhilley and not pay attention to what is happening in school/college cos it is a good area innit . That's where it goes wrong .

nah ...the challenges of living on the estate kept us away from the bad influences and dodgy dawah folks...sikhs do better where they are challenged to stand their ground , where you have too much soft life , people start to get dhilley and not pay attention to what is happening in school/college cos it is a good area innit . That's where it goes wrong .

So your saying we should continue to live in these run down areas and not aspire to move out into better areas. Were there will be better schools, better life chances, less crime?

Just so we dont lose our toughness :poke:

I can understand if people have no choice to live in those areas. I know in the posher areas its usually a lot quieter and boring but who cares when there are no yobs all over the place and its a safer environment to raise kids.

So your saying we should continue to live in these run down areas and not aspire to move out into better areas. Were there will be better schools, better life chances, less crime?

Just so we dont lose our toughness :poke:

I can understand if people have no choice to live in those areas. I know in the posher areas its usually a lot quieter and boring but who cares when there are no yobs all over the place and its a safer environment to raise kids.

I'm saying live where you are and maintain the discipline , if the areas not so good work to get to a more conducive one (I moved for my kids education and future) don't look for the downside always work with what you've been given . The middle class areas are deceptive they have crime too, they have more active dawah crews within their schools and colleges , higher recreational drug takers/pushers, look at the types of girls who are getting caught up it's the middle class or soon to be , not so much apni lardkian in the estates because they are already acutely aware of their differences.

too much cash to dash and lax parenting gives the girls and boys opportunity to go off the rails

too much cash to dash and lax parenting gives the girls and boys opportunity to go off the rails

I second that. When I went to uni the amount of apnay and apneean from affluent families who seemed to be there mainly to doss about, party/club and take drugs and generally act like ar5eholes wasn't small (probably in reaction to the mundane, boring, restricted middle class upbringing they had?). Some of those morons were flunking years, and then changing courses or unis.

People from more humble backgrounds were breaking their backs to make sure they passed because they were acutely aware of what was at stake.