is listenin 2 bhangra music bad in sikhi

S1ngh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bhenji...

there's nothing wrong with listening to bhangra music...I mean the genre..the beats and the tempo and whatnot...

what you might want to pay attention to is the lyrics...cuz a lot of times i've found them to be vulgar, concentrating on girls, or all about the desi sharab....that's just been my experience...and so i don't really listen to it..

that said...i konw of a lot of music out there that has nothing bad in it....and if you think about it...a lot of music is just poetry with music added to it...

and if someone is writing songs (poetry) from their hearts and singing it...well...i can't see anyting wrong with that....

even Guru Gobind Singh ji was a great lover of poetry...that's why he had all those kavis(poets) in his darbar...he ACTUAALLY listened to THEIR poetry too.....

hey what's akj kirtan?...i only know of guruji's pavitar gurbani kirtan... :T:

(ps..i know what you guys mean by "akj kirtan"...i'm just bothering you guys...but in all seriousness...it makes me a little uncomfortable to label kirtan after a group....perhaps we could refer to the style...which is akhand kirtan using simple tunes and having the sangat singh along...a style that was in use long before the akj came around....this is just my thoughts...don't be offended if you disagree..its all good)

there is sikh culture and their is punjabi culture.

amritdhari singhs and singhnees in the West who watch hollywood movies face a similar situation. I mean take matrix for example. There is a deep meaning in that movie about our perception of reality and the power of our mind to conquer it. As western sikhs we go to movies or at least many amritdhari sikhs i know go to them. I doubt they are going to be damned.

so in the same sense if there are sikhs who are part of the punjabi culture and listen to bhangra music is is not all hellfire nad damnation by God. Some Punjabi songs are valuable such as "eh duniyah matlab di", by AS Kang, many songs by Gurdas Mann.

I mean yeah there are limits, listening to dirty jeeja saali songs by chamkila is wrong but good old-fashioned toombi and dhol, ummm.....

Do as you please, keep waaheguru in your heart and remember as Pheena said it is a matter of what level of devotion you are at. If waaheguru wants to, you will only listen to the Guru's Shabad.

smartsingh24

my granny is 85 and she grew in amritsar doing kirtan in the exact same style since she was a little girl...and she hadn't even heard of the akj until she was much older....and she grew up in amritsar....theres the proof you asked for....

well...

music is pretty anti gurmat for the most part becuase guru sahib has given us music in the form of keertan.

why listen to anything else?

regarding movies..

hmm.. well being a film student and all I probably shouldnt say this, but movies can be anti gurmat. I will admit to that.

if you must watch movies, and most of us do, stay away from the kaami, cussing, and just overall wrong/bad movies.

dear khalistani veer...it's good you know a lot about sikhi....

HOWEVER...you don't konw EVERYTHING about MUSIC...or BHANGRA....there are a lot of singers and song writers who only talk about their love for god and his creation....just cuz you or your friends haven't heard anytihng good doesn't mean it doesnt exist...

and mkhalsa veeray...music is anti-gurmat????? hellooooooo....gurbani is composed in raaag????...music itself cannot be anti-gurmat...it's about how you use it that can be antigurmat....for example we all know gurbani is dhur ki bani....but if you have some lame people taking out quotes and using it for anti-gurmat purposes...are you going to call gurbani anti-gurmat??? OBVIOUSLY NO!....