Shaheedi Degh Is The Best Medicine In The World!

funny thing is the 'self-appointed' moral guardians were preaching to a higher moral stance people about becoming modern and slack ... Whilst I have not eaten meat since age 10 and never have had herbal level mixtures I am aware through my studies and profession the benefits of them and the risks , I would never discount using them if the extreme need came .

At the risk of repeating myself I've been a vegetarian since birth, but I also appreciate there are certain traditions in Sikhi outside of my worldview that are just as valid as my own. It's the "for the greater good" attitude that's quite concerning; the rewriting of history to fit a particular narrative even if the particular "victim" of such modifications is the objective Truth.

I'd never consume shaheedi degh because I cannot justify such a thing spiritually or physically (in terms of ingesting it), but if it is a valid tradition with historical and religious precedence, then why not keep it alive to lend our faith that more colour and variety? Depends on the reasons to be fair. Getting high off it is questionable at best. I don't know enough about it.

Originally Guru Sahib jee wanted his Sikhs to be physically strong. So Guru Jee created wrestling akharas for Sikhs where they would do tough exercises of pehlvaans like Dands, Baithaks, swinging moonglis and gurj that pehlvaans of olden times performed which had similar swing like movements to Gatka. These exercises made puratan Sikhs extremely strong. And to aid in their physical strength training these Sikhs would also drink a lot of Shardayee which is a very healthy desi milk drink.

Then after the Gurus period, wars became more frequent. One battle had just finished then another would start not giving enough time to let the wounds from the previous battles to heal. Warriors began taking medicines to aid in the healing of their wounds. Among them was bhang which served as a pain killer like morphine does today. The frequency of taking this pain killer resulted in some to become addicts also known as Amlis in Punjabi who could not leave this new addiction. These Amlis then needed to justify their addiction since war was the only real justification, so they came up with the number 5 since 5 has a special place in the Sikh Panth with many things being five in number. Eventually the Amlis had turned this 5 bhang leafs into a "puratan" tradition, and to make it healthy they mixed those Bhang leafs in Shardayee that Sikhs were taking since the times of the Gurus giving it a further puratan touch.

Very soon the pro vegetarian anti jhatka anti Sukh nidaan modern era post Anglo Sikh wars non authentic jathas will arrive on this thread to vigorously deny Sikhs ever used cannabis and poppy seeds.... They will be most angry with they're blunt kirpanas, they may even attempt to hunt you down for suggesting Sikhs ever partook in such activities...they may even try and beat you up with their spinning in the air coordinated bhangra stick dance aka gatka

That's nice. But simply by writing funny ridiculing comments will not aid in the justification of manmat which began post Guru period by Amlis. Your point about Anglo Sikh war period also does not hold ground. Not everything during M Ranjit Singh period was justified according to Gurmat. Sikhs by then had began drinking alcohol heavily as we read in the contemporary accounts besides watching mujra of Kanjris. So it is not surprising that manmat like Bhang consumption was also very popular at that time period. And what does Gatka i.e. martial arts of the Indian Nihangs have anything to do with this discussion?

From my limited understanding, Guru Hargobind Sahib started the shaheedi degh and Budha Dal was also formed by Miri Piri de maalak.

Shaheedi degh has tremendous medicinal benefits and it also aids in simran.

I hope not. If one has to utilise stimulants to connect with God, there's no hope for the rest of us. I can appreciate its medicinal advantages, but the spiritual aspect of it seems like a stretch.

Have a read of the below link :

http://tisarpanth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/shardai-akalis-ally.html?m=1

Also have a good read of suraj prakash and panth prakash as well as accounts from the British which confirm the usage of cannabis aka sukha aka sukhnidaan amongst the Khalsa fauj.

There is also a video on YouTube by Chardikalah jatha explaining the 5 leaf recipe recipe and it's origins.

There are lots of examples of historical paintings where you will see nihangs Singhs using a salotar to do "ruggarah" grinding the cannabis leaves to make sukha.