Wearing Kara in schools for P.E

Inderpal

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i think people generally lack what sikhs are, we should spend more money on sikh awareness programs rather then investing money into making gurdware bigger etc...

Definately Sikhi camps rock - so inspiring ^_^^_^^_^

We need more - can't get enough of them!!!! Spending money on gurudwara is ok - but me must educate ppl about Sikhi. ^_^^_^^_^ . Ask most sikhs what happened on December 25th and they'

ll say Christmas - they forget about the Great Sahibzade :wub: :wub: :@ - its sad but we must educate these people.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vikramkhalsa

Do we have legal rights in US to wear kirpan at school? cause that would be cool so i wouldnt have to wear mine under... Can anyone tell me this? and the documentation too?

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!

Me and several other singhs in my high school had an issue with kara's as well... a couple of them had huge kara's with the cuts in it.. so in a way i knew where the school was coming from.. as long as ur not wearing a HUGE kara u shouldn't have a problem.. i know in canada they can't stop us from wearing one... i guess i's tru what they say.. size DOES matter.. in fact we made our principles speak to the main jathedars at the local gurdwara.. and they kinda set them straight.. they told em about the kara and from what i know brought some LEGAL aspects into it as well..

bottom line.. u DON'T take off ur kara... but at the same time.. be practical, in that u don't wear a huge kara...

anywayz.. good luck wit ur situation.. tell us how it goes....

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!

Okay regarding kirpan:

No it's not allowed anyone to wear kirpan from outside in California, if im not MIstaken the state limit the use of 5inch Sharp material (hunter knife). Now about 5 inch, i don't know whether it's the blade size or if its size of blade along with holdster/handle.

There were some cases in california public school and the outcome was that you can wear kirpan outside or inside under certain restrictions, one is that the whole kirpan has to be glued. (i posted my friends kirpan picture on forum couple of months ago). As advice is given to rochak (mehtab) and me from one singh is that to follow the sikhi to full but also try to accpet the society laws and so on by not boosting and showing it to others. Many will see that as wrong, but at end its your choice. I would recommend to keep low profile while wearing kirpan not that you are doing something wrong but to avoid extra stress. and that's my point of view..

Kara is allowed in california no matter what. I worked in apple computer for the summer about two years ago and i was in line to build the powerful and the most expensive lappy's like powerbook and so on and i was to deal with hardware components. The apply policy is not to wear any kinda of chains/rings and so on while inside factory, One is not even allowed to have loose hair or beard. But those rule didn't apply on me and other sardars in that factory. We have to cover our kara in special material tape so that it doesn't conduct any electricity and so on.. My point is that if the company is fully aware of sikhi and it's principle then they won't bother you no matter at all.

I was also the vice-cap

tain in my high soccer team and i always had kara on my right hand. Even it's deep red neck country, they allowed me to keep the kara on if you deal with them clearly without getting mad or discriminated. Once we were on game tour somewhere in harris county school system in ga and the another team captain raised the question about my headcovering and the kara i was wearing. The ref called me in and asked me about it and i told him that's its my faith/part of my religion and he called my coach and my coach said "Yes" he said it's allowed then !!!

Nothing is impossible, you just need to find a way to work out things.. and mostly do it on your own way.. make other ppls think and agree with you..

hope that helps blush.gif

This is a topic very close to my heart

At grammar school i was in the A-team School Rugby Team for 4 and a half years playing against other schools up and down the country on saturdays and sundays. I was very successful as a second-row forward but after so long playing for the team- the coach told me i could not wear a Kara even though it was tiny (this one i wore for rugby was wire-thin which i bought from the shop outside Darbar Sahib complex)

He didn't mind my patka after i proved in the first year it wasn't going to come off as i said why don't you come over and try to to take it off

Anyway i didn't back down and neither did he so i was pushed out of the squad and i wasn't awarded colors/awards that year for my contribution in rugby, he even tried to badmouth me to other staff and students but everyone knew what i was like so it didn't work- i got to take saturdays off and played basketball instead :wub:

Stand up for yourself even if it means missing out on things that you intially value most

-especially because when you look back on these issues; you'll be proud

Peace

A Scenario, You are going to do Darhsan of your Beloved Guru. The Airport will not let you get on a plane without you removing your kirpan and placing it in your bag as a check-in bag. So thru the journey you will be without one of your Kakars. What do you do, given that you are going to meet your Guru.

So which is more important the Guru or the Kakar. The Guru who gave you the Kakar or the Kakar itself?

I am complettly ignorent on this issue, so please bear with me and perhaps explain to me wha tyou would do in this situation without bashing me. :wub:

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Thanks everyone For your Help. I have p.e 2moz so i will see what happens.. I reckon that you are allowed to wear a small kipan Around Your neck on a plane.

if all else fails........refuse to vote and throw tantrums and tell them you would like to speak to p.m or "queen" :wub: @ wacko.gif :wub: @ wacko.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

:nihungsmile: Bluey