Today a lot of people will be celebrating Rakhi, watch this video on to find out the Sikh view on Rakhi!

37 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

look if eating cake is your thing just have the cake without the fuss ...what exactly are you celebrating   that so much life has ebbed away ...?

People like cake with candles on it and then like to blow them out. 

Do your kids give a mother's day card/gift or card for your birthday? 

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

People like cake with candles on it and then like to blow them out. 

Do your kids give a mother's day card/gift or card for your birthday? 

if they remember ...given that they are mostly guys they tend to need reminding by my husband , for me  all days are the same , all a gift to be treasured and used well . Maybe I grew up with a take or leave it attitude because we never did birthdays because our parents didn't do birthdays in their day , this is all outside western influence of consumerism, not really sikhi . My own experience as a parent is the gifts given to our kids are forgotten soon enough , the more you give the less they appreciate .

My father gave me four books in my life all I still have , and my mother also gave me few gifts but all I appreciated because I saw their effort and love .

On 8/28/2018 at 8:34 AM, singhunit said:

What's actually wrong with this? Why are we losing culture and tradition? No one is saying the piece of thread will protect you...what's the harm in using this day to appreciate your sister and taking out time.

I do this and will continue to do so. I'm ready for the keyboard warriors

I agree, i think we should celebrate rakhri. It celebrates a brother and sister relationship, which tells us how high our culture was. Compared to the west, which celebrates valentines day.

Also all.countries and ppl need holidays. To break up the monotony and bring the family together.   In the old days rakhri was good. It gave women a chance to visit their peke. Or the bro to visit his sisters saure and check up on her and see if she is being treated right. As there was no communicatin back then. Like no letters or phones. 

Also we should remember our culture and religion. Not only the religion. Look at the 3ho ppl, or afghani sikhs. They r different from us because their culture is different. Even tho.we have the same religion. I dont think english ppl should forget their language or ancestors or famiky when they convert to sikhi. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 11:36 PM, MahadrasSingh said:

How is a Hindu string tying ritual OUR HIGH CULTURE? It's just as vain as Valentine's days is, most brothers after getting these frilly plasticky messes get them cut off after like a day, it literally holds no meaning to us, its just a ritual we keep cause our parents did it being next to the hindus who do it. 

We have much better ways to celebrate brother and sister relationships and bring the families together. For example, teaching shastar vidhyan , holding competitions for our kids in kirtan, sports and bani and teaching them our ithihaas and beautiful sakhis would do so much better than tying a thread dumped in how many toxins from india.

Bhul chuk maf.

Culture involves doing rituals. Things with no practical meaning. Culture actually consists of language, food, belief system, peoples, holidays, ceremonies, rituals, rites, morals, and religion, lifestyle

What you are mentioning is only religious things. Do u do nothing outside ur religion? Do u celebrate birthdays? Wedding receptions? All these are actually western culture yet we have adopted it cuz we live there too. Nothing wrong with that. 

Some hindus speak panjabi, eat saag and roti. Do we give it up?

Some holidays are built into indian cale dar like christmas, easter, and halloween are here. They lose their religious significance and become festivals.

Its good to not do any rituals, and do practical things, but society loves holidays and rituals esp children. And i would rather they celwbrate rakhri then valentines. 

This mindset of stopping ppl from doing things that are mostly harmless, cuz one doesnt agree with them is not good. The children are deprived of good times and lose link to their past. Yes u can factually tell them abt being panjabi, but actions matter more. 

Also, the gurus never stopped ppl point blank. They just gave it a better meaning. Holi to holla mohalla. Diwaali to bandi shorh diwaas. So we still celwbratw but the meaning behind it has changed. So celebrate birthdays, rakhri, halloween and allow ur kids to have fun

But explain the empty ritualism behind it or give it another, better meaning. 

Like in our culture, we think family is better and should  be celwbrated not some strangers on valentines. 

I was raised with a dad who was anti everything. It leaves u feeking disconnected and superior to the world. And then u come tumbling down. Teach ur kids how to celebrate and laugh with the world while knowing the truth