Inter-Racial Marriage Between Sikh and Christian

Guest Guest Amrit

On 2/21/2019 at 5:53 AM, Akalifauj said:

Anyone coming to Sikhi whether from another religion or race or country brings a lot of baggage.   And they don't want to let go of that baggage.   Just look at 3ho white Sikhs.  They have made a mockery of Gurbani.  They get together on certain dates and dance while Gurbani is being played.  The organizers step up the platform for this disrespect to continue every year.  They encourage their white culture as the bread and butter of Sikhi.  Culture of Sikhi is tied in with punjab.  Yet these other people who claim to be Sikh want to change sikhi culture because then they can have relationships outside of marriage with the opposite sex.  They can go to their beach days in a bikini and see nothing wrong with it.  Because they will say, the Guru never says you cant expose yourself.  White, western culture will never be compatible with Sikhi.  

Lol ? ? 

Guest GuestSingh
On 2/21/2019 at 5:53 AM, Akalifauj said:

Anyone coming to Sikhi whether from another religion or race or country brings a lot of baggage.   And they don't want to let go of that baggage.   Just look at 3ho white Sikhs.  They have made a mockery of Gurbani.  They get together on certain dates and dance while Gurbani is being played.  The organizers step up the platform for this disrespect to continue every year.  They encourage their white culture as the bread and butter of Sikhi.  Culture of Sikhi is tied in with punjab.  Yet these other people who claim to be Sikh want to change sikhi culture because then they can have relationships outside of marriage with the opposite sex.  They can go to their beach days in a bikini and see nothing wrong with it.  Because they will say, the Guru never says you cant expose yourself.  White, western culture will never be compatible with Sikhi.  

truth.

any outsider - especially a westerner - will always look to add their own 'masala' to something foreign to em i.e. sikhi since its the complete opposite in so many ways to what their culture already understands and accepts...so they tend to try to compromise and find some sorta 'balance'..maybe halfway..that suits everyone but it always fails miserably - and its one of the reasons why we so many who are 'dhilla' within the panth today.

1 minute ago, GuestSingh said:

truth.

any outsider - especially a westerner - will always look to add their own 'masala' to something foreign to em i.e. sikhi since its the complete opposite in so many ways to what their culture already understands and accepts...so they tend to try to compromise and find some sorta 'balance' halfway that suits everyone but it always fails miserably - and its one of the reasons why we so many who are 'dhilla' within the panth today.

Would I be wrong in suggesting that this desire to influence or imprint one's pre-existing mentality and beliefs on the "new" faith occurs mostly when the outsider feels they can get away with doing so? And this behaviour subsequently feeds into the perceived strength of that religion in as much as the newcomer being confident that nobody is going to pull the newcomer to one side and tell them to behave themselves? That "dhilla-puna" on the part of the naturalised (i.e. us) adherents is observed and acted upon by the outsider. Which makes the example of 3HO even more egregious considering it was supposedly one of our own who opened the door, so to speak, and led by example by undermining from within. I'm not sure whether that was his original intention (he may have possessed a noble desire to expose Sikhi to the world), but I struggle to believe someone of his intelligence failed to anticipate the potential consequences of his actions. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Would I be wrong in suggesting that this desire to influence or imprint one's pre-existing mentality and beliefs on the "new" faith occurs mostly when the outsider feels they can get away with doing so?

I think you're trying to say that they (3HO) perceived us as weak (mentally, morally, and culturally) and simpletons.

I think they're right. What do you think?

Guest GuestSingh
57 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Would I be wrong in suggesting that this desire to influence or imprint one's pre-existing mentality and beliefs on the "new" faith occurs mostly when the outsider feels they can get away with doing so? And this behaviour subsequently feeds into the perceived strength of that religion in as much as the newcomer being confident that nobody is going to pull the newcomer to one side and tell them to behave themselves? That "dhilla-puna" on the part of the naturalised (i.e. us) adherents is observed and acted upon by the outsider.

thats exactly what it is - self-inflicted and still many among us wanna live up to the image of a 'nice' sikh that in my mind unnecessarily goes 'overboard' or tries too hard to welcome anyone - these folk may be sincere in their efforts and the outsider may feel welcome but its eventually seen as weak and desperate after the 'honeymoon period', when interaction with more apne occurs and the reality 'hits home' before the opportunity to 'have the best of both worlds' presents itself..and no-ones gonna say a word...cuz we aint 'taliban/khaliban'..were just 'nice' people remember...nice, gentle, cuddly, compliant, submissive, easy-to-control sikhs.

the 'langar on campus' initiatives are one of em - "lets misuse and weaken the entire concept to break down social barriers (that hardly exist anymore) and feed those (who can already afford to eat) in a quick and easy attempt to gain numbers and perhaps gain some recognition from the media for how 'nice' we are too even though we wont get gain anything from any of it and our own sikhi is weak since we dont bother to practice properly ourselves...."

Which makes the example of 3HO even more egregious considering it was supposedly one of our own who opened the door, so to speak, and led by example by undermining from within. I'm not sure whether that was his original intention (he may have possessed a noble desire to expose Sikhi to the world), but I struggle to believe someone of his intelligence failed to anticipate the potential consequences of his actions.

didnt he insult sache patshah by questioning their intellect and wisdom?

he looks to have all the makings of a goi agent when u look at all the really weird stuff these freaks have done and continue to do - how could someone with an honest mission cause so much damage? the bhandar was a fraud.

I'm still wondering about people's notion of 'Panjabi culture'. The way some people are talking is like it has been some generally stable thing for milenia. Is that true?

Didn't all the fluxes due to changes in leadership (Moghul rule, British rule, previous eras where Buddhism must have been an influence on the region) cause changes to the culture. Is culture ever a static thing or something that changes through various influences both external and internal? 

Also, as regards to culture in Panjab, how did this differ across regions and we all know different jaats have different practices and norms too. 

Are we in danger of idealing the past, and creating a vision as a prop to help us through rapidly changing and often confusing times?  

3HO are pretty marginal and insular.  as far as i am aware, they keep themselves to themselves.

i do agree that western society attacks groups that it perceives as open/ friendly.  this is a good insight.  they also want to destroy any sense of community that those groups may feel.  

on the flip side, theres the sycophantic attitude of 'sikhs' who are 1) illiterate in their own religion 2) desperate for 'recognition' or 'validation' from western parties.

its nice to be nice, but its not good to sell out your own precepts to appease some external party.  

if you ask most sikhs what sikhism is, you will just get some slogan.  "sikhs believe in ONE God".  "sikhs believe in serving humanity".  "sikhs believe in equality!"  that's about it.  otherwise you will get "vand chacko kirat karna" without the "naam japna" (which is the most important/essential of the three!).

On 2/23/2019 at 5:21 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Do you never think that you might be missing important aspects of it because of translation issues? 

Of course I do.

If it was in Gurmukhi I would still be missing important aspects.. As a student I would always strive to learn and never assume that I have learnt everything that my teacher is teaching me.. Otherwise they would cease being my teacher. 

As a Sikh I believe that the pursuit of 'truth / Sat' is my duty. 

If I am a sikh and have taken a 'teacher / Guru' (Guru Granth Sahib) then I as a true student and seeker of truth, I shouldn't be so arrogant as to think I have arrived at the truth.

if something is contradictory then by definition it is illogical. Which means I must question and seek the truth. It means I yet to fully understand what my guru is teaching me.