Family event

Guest confused90

Guest confused90

Vjkk vjkf ji 

My husband and I (both amritdhari) have been invited to a birthday do on my side of the family. It is in a small community center however there is going to be meat there no alcohol. It’s just a get together with family, no dancing, singing etc

My parents will be providing our food separately on a separate table as they are also vegetarian but not Amritdhari.

We still are debating whether to attend or not? I will be the only grandchild not coming if I decide not to however I do not want to do wrong by Maharaj but also need to maintain relations.

Please advise! 

On 3/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, Guest confused90 said:

Vjkk vjkf ji 

My husband and I (both amritdhari) have been invited to a birthday do on my side of the family. It is in a small community center however there is going to be meat there no alcohol. It’s just a get together with family, no dancing, singing etc

My parents will be providing our food separately on a separate table as they are also vegetarian but not Amritdhari.

We still are debating whether to attend or not? I will be the only grandchild not coming if I decide not to however I do not want to do wrong by Maharaj but also need to maintain relations.

Please advise! 

Go there! 

Be like a lotus floating in a pond! lol

It's a great thing that your family is catering for everyone's needs. You can't isolate yourself from your family over little things like that. 

Guest Confused90
3 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Pehle Paatshah and Bhagat Kabir discuss this particular issue in quite some detail in their respective compositions in Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Of course, there'd be no need for these questions if we read our holy scriptures.

Then please share ji for a Papi like me who hasn’t done so!

This is the situation where every gursikh couple has to make a tough decision. 
Due to the dwindling number of gursikhs, more and more are loosing their morale and adopted lifestyle that they initially don't want to.

* You don't want to make relative feel sad about your decision
* You don't feel like going to places where you get religiously offended (Drinks/Meat)

12 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Pehle Paatshah and Bhagat Kabir discuss this particular issue in quite some detail in their respective compositions in Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Of course, there'd be no need for these questions if we read our holy scriptures.

Huh? What exactly are you referencing, bro? 

Guru Nanak Dev ji's compositions are interpreted by some Sikhs as not anti-meat (different from pro-meat). I'm not saying they are, just that some Sikhs think that.

Bhagat Kabir ji's compositions, on the other hand, are generally held to be anti-meat.

But regardless of how you interpret these compositions, they only address the question of eating meat or not. 

They do not, to my mind, address whether you should go to where meat is being eaten.

Or do they?

On 3/5/2019 at 2:22 AM, Guest confused90 said:

29 minutes ago, Sikhi4Ever said:

This is the situation where every gursikh couple has to make a tough decision. 

17 hours ago, puzzled said:

Just go to the party but don't eat the meat! 

I'm not necessarily going to tell you to go to a meat party.

But a happy medium would be to ask the family to give cake and refreshments plus gifts before dinner. Just the whole cake/Happy Birthday song/greeting family/eating cake and drinking soft drinks, etc., will easily take an hour if not two.

That's more than enough attendance to not make people think that you didn't value them as family.

Then depart before they bust out the KFC, lol.