Sign in to follow this  
puzzled

Mansha Singh

As for jot, my mom started using one at some stage when she did her nitnem, she had some tiny brass receptacle that looked like an open, small genie lamp, which she'd fill with melted ghee and use with a cotton wick (it had a curious aroma for us younguns). Historically I reckon a lot of it was probably down to lighting back home in the pre-bijlee age?

6 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

heard some Singhs used to openly charge towards the sarovar to get isnaan despite it being heavily guarded and obtain shaheedi. 

Yeah something similar. But it was a sikhi play at a camp. Dont really know the real details nor sources.

6 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

As for jot, my mom started using one at some stage when she did her nitnem, she had some tiny brass receptacle that looked like an open, small genie lamp, which she'd fill with melted ghee and use with a cotton wick (it had a curious aroma for us younguns). Historically I reckon a lot of it was probably down to lighting back home in the pre-bijlee age?

Not only lighting. But also to store fire. In case a draft of wind blew in and blew out the other lighting source. A jyot was supposed to stay lit 24/7. 

Also the smell of burnt ghee is supposed to purify the atmosphere.  

My dad lights jyot at home  he worships our ancestors.  You rub the cotton between your palms and then put it in the ghey    it  nearly burnt our house down once haha!   But yh.

In india they light them randomly in their houses, gurdware and ancestors tombs, my family do that stuff

I guess it's nice to keep some tradition alive her in the west  even if it is meaningless      on diwali we light divaas as well with ghey 

55 minutes ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Yeah something similar. But it was a sikhi play at a camp. Dont really know the real details nor sources.

I'll look into it.