Sign in to follow this  
Guest 2005.singh

What if ur name wasn’t chosen by hukamnama

Guest 2005.singh

My name wasn’t decided from taking hukamnama when born (cos my family didn’t follow sikhi then)

So when I take amrit do I have to be given a new name? I mean first name cos I already use Singh to my surname 

Yes, at the end of the amrit sanchar panj Singh will ask if their is anyone who hasn’t had a gurmukh naam karan or Anand karaj. Then those like you who haven’t had that sanscar will be blessed with a name from guru sahib. A couple from another religion  that hasn’t had laavan can even have them done there and then. 

• Like 3

What happens to your old name then? or do people keep that as well? 

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
1 hour ago, 1Anonymous1 said:

Yes, at the end of the amrit sanchar panj Singh will ask if their is anyone who hasn’t had a gurmukh naam karan or Anand karaj. Then those like you who haven’t had that sanscar will be blessed with a name from guru sahib. A couple from another religion  that hasn’t had laavan can even have them done there and then. 

Neither myself, wife or kids have had our names picked from a letter from Gurdwara. We haven't because we know the tradition of picking a letter for a baby's name is a leftover of the Hindu tradition based on superstition. My forefathers didn't walk away from Hinduism just so that I could could carry on with the old traditions albeit under a different name.  When we amrit shak'd, no gurdwara asked to do what you are suggesting in your message.

If you have a name according to gurmat thats fine. Preferably if it was done according to a hukamnama but many ppl nowadays just use the daily hukamnama given by darbar sahib or a local gurdwara

13 hours ago, 1Anonymous1 said:

^

doesn't matter much. 

Sikhs have been busy with all such trivial things , so they forgot deeper spiritual significance behind gurbani and amrit sanchar

Receiving khande baate di pahul is admission into sikh , you have just started on the path to meet god, its still a long long path 

22 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

Neither myself, wife or kids have had our names picked from a letter from Gurdwara. We haven't because we know the tradition of picking a letter for a baby's name is a leftover of the Hindu tradition based on superstition. My forefathers didn't walk away from Hinduism just so that I could could carry on with the old traditions albeit under a different name.  When we amrit shak'd, no gurdwara asked to do what you are suggesting in your message.

• Tradition that your family not familiar with is not have to be hindu superstition.
  • All gursikhs like Bhai Randhir Singh took name after first letter of the hukamnama they took at home or gurdwara. He was Basant Singh but changed name to Randhir Singh after baptized and Hukamnama
  • Ghar Ghar Dharamsal. Sikh must have guru sahib in their homes. You do not have to go to Gurdwara sahib to get the hukamnama and pay granthi to do the ceremony.
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, Guest 2005.singh said:

My name wasn’t decided from taking hukamnama when born (cos my family didn’t follow sikhi then)

So when I take amrit do I have to be given a new name? I mean first name cos I already use Singh to my surname 

• Many Gursikhs in past changed their name when they get baptized. 
  • It is upto you on whether you want to do it or not. It is your avastha.
  • Forcing yourself to do it will not bring any good to your soul
  • It should be natural occurrence within you to take this step
  • Bhai Randhir Singh ji was Basant Singh but changed it when he got baptized as Basant singh was not chosen from the first letter of the Hukamnama that is taken during born ceremony. 
  • Amrit shakna is the rebirth of the soul.
  • Like 1

Going off topic here, when you say it’s rebirth of your soul. Do your start again in terms of any bad sins are wiped away?

On 7/1/2020 at 7:23 PM, Sikhi4Ever said:
  • Tradition that your family not familiar with is not have to be hindu superstition.

Or......maybe......my family is more familiar with 'traditions' than yours and knew that our forefathers who were Hindu had a ceremony they have to go through when they had a child in which they would ask the pandit to choose a letter from the Vedas and the child was then given a name starting with that first letter. Hindus in India, especially Gujaratis,  still have this 1000 year old 'tradition'. All you're doing is replacing the Vedas with Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji but you're blindly following the same Hindu tradition but are too uneducated to know the origin of it. So you're right, things don't HAVE to be Hindu tradition but it just so happens that this particular one is.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

Or......maybe......my family is more familiar with 'traditions' than yours and knew that our forefathers who were Hindu had a ceremony they have to go through when they had a child in which they would ask the pandit to choose a letter from the Vedas and the child was then given a name starting with that first letter. Hindus in India, especially Gujaratis,  still have this 1000 year old 'tradition'. All you're doing is replacing the Vedas with Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji but you're blindly following the same Hindu tradition but are too uneducated to know the origin of it. So you're right, things don't HAVE to be Hindu tradition but it just so happens that this particular one is.

Looks like i pushed a button and you went thru the roof. Not my intention. 

name.png

8 hours ago, Sikhi4Ever said:

Looks like i pushed a button and you went thru the roof. Not my intention. 

name.png

What button and what roof ?  If you're gonna get triggered everytime someone even talks to you ....well now, that's a bit of worry isn't it.

Now....what I told you was that the naming tradition is a tradition that has been continued from our Hindu forefathers and Hindus today still follow it that's a fact.I also told you that the tradition has it's roots in superstition and that's a fact. Make of the facts what you will. 

12 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

What button and what roof ?  If you're gonna get triggered everytime someone even talks to you ....well now, that's a bit of worry isn't it.

Now....what I told you was that the naming tradition is a tradition that has been continued from our Hindu forefathers and Hindus today still follow it that's a fact.I also told you that the tradition has it's roots in superstition and that's a fact. Make of the facts what you will. 

Then you have a problem with Sikh Rehat Maryada ? 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, Guest 2005.singh said:

Your true nature is the divine soul, you were born according to your karmas, you will die also according to your karmas, the difference does not lie in having one name or the other, it is only that important how much one has love for Waheguru and His Name.

When you go from this world, you will not be asked what was your name or surname, but how much wealth you earned of the repetition of His holy Name.

Either this much,or,either the manmukh karmas performed, will define your future destiny.

Do you know, that even He, the Highest has no name as such, that is why He is also called Anami, Alakh, Agam, Akal, Waheguru, the wonderous.

• Thanks 1