Jump to content
shastarSingh

books on wisdom needed

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, shastarSingh said:

I want to read some books on wisdom.

plz suggest some books

Same

not the usual Punjabi ones translated into English 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new earth by Eckhart tolle. It's an amazing book, the first time I read it a few years ago I thought it was jibberish. Then a few years later picked it up again and seemed to get it...and for a while my head was quite. The nagging voice came back..but less and it subdues when I read that book.  If you want to expose your 'ego' this is a great book . If you get it..that incessant voice in your head will never be the same again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, imhosingh said:

A new earth by Eckhart tolle. It's an amazing book, the first time I read it a few years ago I thought it was jibberish. Then a few years later picked it up again and seemed to get it...and for a while my head was quite. The nagging voice came back..but less and it subdues when I read that book.  If you want to expose your 'ego' this is a great book . If you get it..that incessant voice in your head will never be the same again

I second that:

I think Tolle managed to present eastern wisdom in a very lucid manner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Confessions of an economic hitman - John Perkins

I thought it was boring personally and didn’t learn anything from it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I thought it was boring personally and didn’t learn anything from it

You must be naturally dumb then. 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

You must be naturally dumb then. 

Maybe. I expected it would be interesting but it was not a light read and I gave up on it.

 

15 hours ago, imhosingh said:

A new earth by Eckhart tolle. It's an amazing book, the first time I read it a few years ago I thought it was jibberish. Then a few years later picked it up again and seemed to get it...and for a while my head was quite. The nagging voice came back..but less and it subdues when I read that book.  If you want to expose your 'ego' this is a great book . If you get it..that incessant voice in your head will never be the same again

Agree, read it many years ago and found it was probably the most impactful book I had ever read. Should read it again

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

Maybe. I expected it would be interesting but it was not a light read and I gave up on it.

 

Agree, read it many years ago and found it was probably the most impactful book I had ever read. Should read it again

I shouldn't have been so harsh for your honest opinion. Sorry about that. Guess I can be an ar5e as well. 

I thought the book was really good in how it explained those moments of stillness that you can sometimes get if you're lucky when meditating (simran). Those moments (what he calls the power of now i.e. being in the moment unencumbered by the baggage of the past, as well as concerns about the future) are psychologically and spiritually rejuvenating. 

And I didn't agree with all he said, I just thought he helped elucidate a purpose of meditation very well.    

You should maybe try reading it again, because you might be in a different mindplace now, and be able to take more out of it. I should read it again too sometime. 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Singh375 said:

Yes, let’s try gather wisdom, even though Guru told you wisdom won’t go with you.

Sehas Siaanapaa Lakh Hohi Th Eik N Chalai Naal ||

With simran you can take a book, place 1 hand underneath, 1 hand on top and close your eyes. In minutes you can read the whole book then recite it back from heart afterwards. 

Infinite power comes from simran. Please don’t waste your life trying to ‘find wisdom’ from books 🤦🏼‍♂️

Been thinking about this recently, 99% Sikhs haven’t got a clue what Guru Nanak Dev Ji taught. We know about rehat, banaa, maryada, 5ks (things with purpose) - which all came later. But teaching Guru Nanak Ji gave - Shabad Guru Surat Dhun Chela

~ How many of us can explain what Surat is? 1% maybe?

My new project will discuss such things

Coming Soon...

#GurbarAkaal

I think Dasam Granth encourages us to gather wisdom and have wits for navigating this material experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Singh375 said:

Yes, let’s try gather wisdom, even though Guru told you wisdom won’t go with you.

Sehas Siaanapaa Lakh Hohi Th Eik N Chalai Naal ||

With simran you can take a book, place 1 hand underneath, 1 hand on top and close your eyes. In minutes you can read the whole book then recite it back from heart afterwards. 

Infinite power comes from simran. Please don’t waste your life trying to ‘find wisdom’ from books 🤦🏼‍♂️

Been thinking about this recently, 99% Sikhs haven’t got a clue what Guru Nanak Dev Ji taught. We know about rehat, banaa, maryada, 5ks (things with purpose) - which all came later. But teaching Guru Nanak Ji gave - Shabad Guru Surat Dhun Chela

~ How many of us can explain what Surat is? 1% maybe?

My new project will discuss such things

Coming Soon...

#GurbarAkaal

excellent post!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 6:21 PM, shastarSingh said:

I want to read some books on wisdom.

plz suggest some books

 

Gurbani Paath Darpan by Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji Bhindranwale 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It's even important to realise that most of ancient texts , ancient meaning here pre 500 BC are so old that the context they probably are centred around got lost in passages of time.  So all you have left is a piece of a wider puzzle and although translations are done , I swear some of these Upanishads especially oldest ones are so riddlesome it takes a nice context to understand them. For instance , brihadaranyaka (big forest) Upanishad , one of the oldest , starts with mention of a sacrificial horse , metaphor for creation.  While today the text is almost universally taken as a vedantic and spiritual philosophical treatise,  it's important to remember this upanishad itself is a text within another brahminical ritual text called "shatpatha brahman".  So it might not have been a ritual-less, philosophy oriented text 2500 yrs ago.  Point is : if the context and culture of the scripture is lost , it will become very difficult to retrieve its original message.  Take in terms of Guru Granth Sahib, if suppose all traces of  bridal culture were lost , how would one make understanding of suhagan concepts in GGS. 
    • The difference between the Rajputs and Jat  (they are largely the same stock) is that Rajputs accepted Brahmin authority whereas Jatts didnt. 
    • Why do you reckon that's become a trend; this desire to dodge certain responsibilities and perpetually extend adolescence? I don't think it's something that's unique to us, by the way. I think it's happening to males across the world. Maybe a frustrated or petulant reaction to the slipping of the veil that we do in fact live in a female-oriented society with its requisite values (despite what the TV and other sources try to gaslight us into believing otherwise)?
    • Wasn't Ravaan a Brahmin though? Considering he was Brahmas great grandson or something like that.  Tamils and other southern people are quite anti Bamhan. 
    • Yeah I had to remind my mother not to go around and give samosas and jalebia to our Tamil neighbours on Dushera and Diwali !!  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use