books on wisdom needed

shastarSingh

2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I read it about three years ago, I probably didn't think about what I was reading hence lost the message. 

Definitely worth a revisit now your older and wiser. Put it under rajniti. If Sikhs ever get their own state, we need to be acutely aware of this stuff, or we'll basically be owned by outsiders again. 

15 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

How did you not learn anything from Perkin's book? It explicitly records how powerful western nations compromise and use developing nations through manipulating members of their governments?

If anyone knows where I can find a good online translation of the full Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, please do share.

I think Nottoocooltoargues list is a great one. Have you worked through them? 

Charitrio Pakyaan is great too. 

Try Gutenberg project for ebooks. 

38 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Try Gutenberg project for ebooks. 

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2680/pg2680-images.html

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/55317/pg55317-images.html

MARCUS AURELIUS ANTONINUS was born on April 26, A.D. 121. His real name was M. Annius Verus, and he was sprung of a noble family which claimed descent from Numa, second King of Rome. Thus the most religious of emperors came of the blood of the most pious of early kings. His father, Annius Verus, had held high office in Rome, and his grandfather, of the same name, had been thrice Consul. Both his parents died young, but Marcus held them in loving remembrance. On his father's death Marcus was adopted by his grandfather, the consular Annius Verus, and there was deep love between these two. On the very first page of his book Marcus gratefully declares how of his grandfather he had learned to be gentle and meek, and to refrain from all anger and passion. The Emperor Hadrian divined the fine character of the lad, whom he used to call not Verus but Verissimus, more Truthful than his own name. He advanced Marcus to equestrian rank when six years of age, and at the age of eight made him a member of the ancient Salian priesthood. The boy's aunt, Annia Galeria Faustina, was married to Antoninus Pius, afterwards emperor. Hence it came about that Antoninus, having no son, adopted Marcus, changing his name to that which he is known by, and betrothed him to his daughter Faustina. His education was conducted with all care. The ablest teachers were engaged for him, and he was trained in the strict doctrine of the Stoic philosophy, which was his great delight. He was taught to dress plainly and to live simply, to avoid all softness and luxury. His body was trained to hardihood by wrestling, hunting, and outdoor games; and though his constitution was weak, he showed great personal courage to encounter the fiercest boars. At the same time he was kept from the extravagancies of his day. The great excitement in Rome was the strife of the Factions, as they were called, in the circus. The racing drivers used to adopt one of four colours—red, blue, white, or green—and their partisans showed an eagerness in supporting them which nothing could surpass. Riot and corruption went in the train of the racing chariots; and from all these things Marcus held severely aloof.

@Premi5

Sun Tzu - Art of war (If you haven't got it already)

https://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/17332-sun-tzu-art-of-war/?tab=comments#comment-156899

Now, to win battles and take your objectives but to fail to consolidate these achievements in ominous and may be described as a waste of time. And therefore, it is said that enlightened rulers must deliberate upon plans to go to battle, and good generals carefully execute them. If not in the interests of the state, do not act. If you cannot succeed, do not use troops. If you are not in danger, do not fight a war. A sovereign cannot launch a war because he is enraged, nor can a general fight a war because he is resentful. For while an angered man may again be happy , and a resentful man again be pleased, a state that has perished cannot be restored, nor can the dead be brought back to life. Therefore, the enlightened ruler is prudent and the good general is warned against rash action. Thus the state is kept secure and the army preserved. 

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Reading Nietzsche at the moment. 

Though there is some wisdom, I find him quite depressing actually. He seems like a mentally unstable person (the moustache gives it away)

A lot of the philosophy of the 19th Century from Germany  in philosophy and psychology like Jung, Shopenhauer etc all come from Eastern philosophy.

The Jewish intellectualism we see today got a lot of their ideas and concepts from the east.

But I will read some of these other books just for hobbies, just so I can see things from another perspective. 

But the reality of the matter is that a lot of western philosophy  (not including Pre-Christian Stoic or anything from Ancient Greece) is a pale imitation of what he have in our heritage.

I think most 'modren' psychology stems from 19th century european interpretations/exploration of eastern concepts of consciousness too. 

3 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

You know there is another topic that I think is of paramount importance for wisdom too, and that is biology.

Reading up and being clued up about the basic functions of the body and the organs, muscles, ligaments, tendons etc. etc.. The effects of various compounds on the functioning of the body is very useful.   

I think a lot of that is quite basic stuff which most will learn at secondary school level, plus  Internet

But  , I am interested in learning about non-allopathic medical systems. I have read two books on Ayurveda but couldn't quite 'get it'. Read some about Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Also, there's a lot that science/medicine doesn't know/fully understand which might be explained by other medical models. 

@jkvlondonprobably would know some good books. 

25 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Also, there's a lot that science/medicine doesn't know/fully understand which might be explained by other medical models. 

The recent discovery of the mammalian ECS (endocannabinoid system) clearly points at the holes in modern science. It's obvious that Ayurvedic systems had an inkling of how to use certain plants to manipulate this system a thousand odd years plus ago.